Cherry Audio's synths are bad

Discussion in 'Software' started by justwannadownload, Apr 17, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

No Hate Speech Movement.jpg

2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

It's not about hate. Each one express his opinion.

Btw: From what I've been testing from them until now, it seems that the quality is spotty. I mean that some of their plugins are much better than others.
    Example ARP 2600 is not as good as Polymode or Dream synth.
    Not the same care in the low end, and filters.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I agree @Olymoon,
    it looks like it's always the same " engine " they use and want to make money quickly in a very short time (too short to be good).

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

That's sounds good, except for the first part.
    Belief is not always the opponent of knowledge...:knock:
    It depends on how well-founded the belief happens to be.:woot:
    If the belief is born of a skeptical review of scientific consensus, it may be fine. :guru:
    Of course belief is always something of which to be skeptical and wary... :bow:
    Belief is not to be trusted ... :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I don't remember them being bad but... I don't remember them. So, I would say they're unmemorable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I heard they are not better than the best. And if they are not better than u-he, Synapse audio or TAL plugins, I do not need them. Using a synth because it has same limitations as the original hardware but oscillators and filters are not like the hardware, or not on the same level as other great plugin synths, there is no point in buying them.
    I heard they cost low, but I will prefer open source or free.

• List
  7. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

well the DCO actually has a key hold function not found on softubes version so I think the softube juno is shit compared to cherry's. I really like the DCO, its my go to if I wanna jam on some windows96 type of chill techno

8. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I just read too much into "For us pirates, they are just simply not needed", I guess.

Anyways... I definitely agree with the criticism many have of them though. It's hard to see where some fit in my workflow now compared to other options (even some freeware), as again, the novelty of 'new' has worn off a bit for me. That is especially the case for Eight Voice, which is pretty much blown away by a couple of competitors (and I'd say so much so it'd be worth spending the extra money for one of those). There are a few I don't own that I haven't used much, so unsure on those (CA2600, PS-20 and Dreamsynth).

In the end though, I know some people get paralysis from too many options, but that's not me.. I get inspired just by picking up some random VST and noodling around, so more options for me is good. So that's all these are for me.. another tool in the toolbox, but there's better options for at least a few of these emulations.

9. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

It was a juxtaposition to legit owners, who can say "It's good for its money".
    For pirates, price point doesn't mean anything, so something can't be good only because it's cheap.

10. robotboy

robotboy Producer

I'll give 'em a try but then again I've picked up some pretty ugly/fat women when the bars close so I'm no fuckin' indicator of quality.

11. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I actually really love their stuff.. although I'm not a synth snob.. I just love different tones and workflows.. I could have 2 of the same emulations of a synth and come up with 2 completely different sounds ... but that's just my take on it.. and there effects are awesome

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

a developer can call their plugin whatever they want. there is really no mistaking a physical item with a virtual one. with that out of the way, listen. it's it's own thing and you like it or not. it really helps to have no marketing driven expectations. the bar starts pretty low. you can turn a bad sample into something cool. you just can't create realistic acoustic instruments "perfectly". same as 1984. who cares

13. Emix(L)oops!

Emix(L)oops! Member

Completely disagree with you. Voltage have a great crispy, vibrant and warm sound. Their presets have good taste. Eight Voice sounds too good as the G Force VST.
    Completely disagree with you. At least that i Kn(own) = Voltage Modular have a great crispy, vibrant and warm sound. Their presets have good taste. Eight Voice sounds too good as the G Force VST. Even their freebies sounds nice. But is my opinion and each head is a world (and each pair of ears, too) Peace

14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

How "good" an instrument is depends on how good the sound can BE (potential sound it can make), the quality of that sound (above certain bars for noise,distortion,etc) and, more subjectively, easy or productive (not the same things at all) the GUI is in delivering those sounds.

The thing may be a pain in the ass to use, but the sound obtained unmatched by any other.
    It may be that the sound can be matched, but the process of struggling with the thing makes you create before-unheard-of sounds.
    It may be that the GUI is so "good" that even a moron like me can create great sounds.
    Etc.

I also agree with those who say the price is not a factor in "how good" it is.
    Price is not a valid aspect for determining how good anything is.
    If you want to talk about VALUE, then OK, price is an integral part of that.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

There is still one thing to see/ hear, is how all these sound once combined into their modular environment.
    Meanwhile, I've tried the Memorymode. It's interesting, can be lush or grainny.
    But the effects are really bad. Replaced them with Phase Plant effects and it sounded much better.

Also, in general, they abuse of pitch modulation in their presets, which does not give credibility to their suppose to be "emulation" approach, as aside of some slow involving compositions, even in the old days keyboardist would take great care to keep those fragile machines tuned.

But it's easily reprogrammable. Just take down every permanent pitch modulation to an acceptable level, closer to a drift effect.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Yes I agree with you on that.

However, the market is saturated with plugins and money is diminishing, purchasing power is diminishing.
    The question is: How do I get users who already have everything or have less money in their pockets to spend to buy my product?

You promise a lot at first, emulation of the legendary XY synth, bala bla bla and then when you're hooked, comes the price and now you as a user start to think, is it worth it, do I need it, can I afford it.

Unfortunately, we will almost never know how successful the marketing strategy of the manufacturers was and how many plugins they actually sold. In my opinion the market is saturated and that's why there are companies like Plugin Alliance that sell products far below the actual value. It is more or less the sale of the plugins that are in stock.

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

What is the first thing one of these plugin coders who become sales successful go buy with their newly earned money?

The only incorrect answer is plugins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Gold, coffee, vacation ticket, the original hardware synthesizer ?

19. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I quite like Arturia's hardware emulations. However, if you look at how much hard drive space they take up compared to Cherry's, it's mindboggling.

I just checked. I don't have them installed. Shame because I quite like the emulation of the Buchla Easel and the VCS3 -- I just hate having to lose have a hard drive for the rare occasions I might want to use them.

20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Large hard drives have never been as affordable as they are today. Are you on a laptop?
    Arturia - V Collection 8 v8.5.0 VSTi - 15.09.2021 - 8,9 GB