Cherry Audio Releases Elka-X Synthesizer - 19/08/22

Discussion in 'Software News' started by BEAT16, Aug 20, 2022.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Cherry Audio Releases Elka-X Synthesizer - 19/08/22
    Based on the Elka Synthex from 1982

Cherry Audio has announced the release of Elka-X, a software synthesizer based upon the rare Italian ELKA Synthex. They say that Elka-X replicates the original's exceptional character and luxury features without compromising sound or functionality and expands its features to deliver the authentic Synthex experience at a price anyone can afford. Here's the full details direct from the company...

The legendary Synthex was designed by Mario Maggi and released by ELKA 40 years ago in the summer of 1982. It combined uncommon and forward-looking features that stood out from other contemporary synthesizers, including highly stable digitally-controlled analog oscillators and a flexible four-pole multimode filter. It was multitimbral and even included an innovative four-track sequencer. Notable users of the Synthex included Stevie Wonder, Geoff Downes of Asia, Keith Emerson, Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran, and Jean-Michel Jarre, who used it for his famed "Laser Harp" sound.

Cherry Audio precisely crafted each aspect of the Elka-X synthesizer to sound and behave exactly like a vintage hardware Synthex. Every effort was taken to emulate the prized tone of the original's DCOs, dynamic filter, and stunning chorus. The innovative sound-sculpting and performance features such as layering and keyboard split have been preserved, and the original's 128-step sequencer has been greatly improved.

"For 40 years, I have been searching for the alternative to lugging around the heavy beast that started my career. Cherry Audio have delivered big time," raves Paul Wiffen, sound designer and synth programmer for Jean-Michel Jarre, and creator of the original Synthex presets, including the famous Laser Harp sound. "They've doubled the voices to 16, retained the Split/Double and Sequencer features that other clones forgot, and there's no compromise I can detect in sound quality or features."

"I had the opportunity to play with the Elka-X and a lot of memories came flooding back," says Peter Howell, who used the Synthex as part of his groundbreaking work at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop throughout the 1970s and 1980s. "Elka-X has been put together with a lot of love and attention to detail. The Synthex certainly was a versatile instrument and it's great to be able to have access to those sounds again."

As with its other vintage synthesizer and effects products, Cherry Audio has kept the soul of a classic alive while updating its feature set for modern studio environments. Elka-X expands the polyphony and filter modes and introduces mono and unison modes that were absent from the original design. The extended functionality of the LFOs and addition of velocity response expands modulation potential, and an arpeggiator delivers new performance possibilities.

Unique panel controls make it painless to exchange settings between layers, sequencer tracks, and even different presets. In addition to the original chorus effect, Elka-X adds studio-quality echo and reverb stereo effects, with independent settings for both layers. With additional touches such as chord memory, over 600 pro patches, and flexible MIDI mapping, Cherry Audio's Elka-X brings the authentic and expanded Synthex experience roaring into the 21st century.

An original Synthex will set you back $12,000 or more these days, if you can find one, and maintenance can be an expensive ordeal. In a world of ever-escalating prices, Cherry Audio continues to beat expectations by offering the new Elka-X synthesizer at the remarkable inflation-busting price of only $39 (list $59)!

Elka-X synthesizer is now available at cherryaudio.com and authorized resellers worldwide, and a free 30-day demo is available. The software is provided as both a standalone application and in AU, VST, VST3, and AAX plugin formats for Windows and macOS, with native Apple silicon support for the highest performance on the latest Mac computers.

Pricing and Availability:
    On offer at $39 (Regular price: $59)
    More information: Elka-X

3. ElMoreno

ElMoreno Kapellmeister

Elka Synthex... what a great synth! :headbang:

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Be aware that Cherry Audio do not clearly state which synths are compatible with their modular system and which are not.
    I bought one from them thinking it would be compatible, and it was not.
    I was going to create collection around their modular system but after that, they won't receive one more cent from me.

They should clearly state it when it's not part of their modular system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

the modules of all their synths are available separately right ? you kinda need to purchase that modules of that synth for Voltage Modular again even if you already own the standalone/vst of the synth. Elka modules not released yet

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I didn't think any of their plugin/standalone synths or FX came with the modules, it's all separate, right? Or am I missing something here?

7. KarateChop

KarateChop Producer

i guess i wasn't the only one.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Not all their synth are available as modules ( as far as I know), but for the ones that are yes, you have to pay again.

My complain is that when you buy a synth, it's not clearly stated that it's not a module.

Many of their synth have also a corresponding module.
    So it should be clearly stated what you're buying.

9. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Interesting.. I never actually used their modular synth (it's not for me). I didn't even know that their main synths (Polymode, DreamSynth, CA2600, DCO-106, etc.) even had modular versions.

10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Had to open old project for some reason today and I found that I've used XILS Syn'X 2 on it and remember that it is actually modeled after Elka Syntex as well.

It's not fully Syntex emulation though, a hybrid maybe as it is a multilayer synth which modeled the cards of the Oberheim Matrix-12.

11. BlackWinny

BlackWinny Platinum Record

First, at my knowledge, only Polymode is available either as VST/AU synth either as Voltage module. The SynthVoice module is based not on the 2600 (as is the VST/AU synth) but on the Odyssey, and the DCO-60 module is based not on the Juno-106 (as is the VST/AU synth) but on the Juno-60. So... only Polymode has been developed in both systems (and they are not mutually compatible because the formats which are totally different, a Voltage Modular format on a side and a VST/AU format on the other side).

And in second, in CA's catalog webpage, the distinction between what is Voltage modular modules and what is VST/AU synth & effects seems very clear. When you watch this page you have a menu line in pale background beginning with "Discover", and in this menu line:
    1. ALL the Voltage Modular modules are in the menu "Voltage Modular ⛛"
    2. And ALL the rest is elsewhere, meaning in the menu "Instruments" and in the menu "Effects"

Simple. Short.
    :wink:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. BlackWinny

BlackWinny Platinum Record

All their synths (and effects) are really awesome for the price. I have (and use) all their synths, and it doesn't prevent me to continue to use the equivalent emulations by other developers (Xils-Lab, GForce, Memorymoon, Korg themselves, etc.). Because every different emulation has different additional features, and it's nice to use them regard their differents abilities. For such low prices by Cherry Audio it is not a crazy expense.

13. terrific!

terrific! Guest

the scheme and a couple uhmm comments sounds fishy to me.

that said admittedly I never even tried one of their synths because I read somewhere not too long agao when a bunch were let loose that they werent as good as others and some just plain sucked. am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2022
  14. clone

clone Audiosexual

In the frozen tundra where this was inspired by; Elka does not worry about the sounds of fish, as she lives under constant threat of polar bear mauling.

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Hopefully they had explained this as clearly at plug-in boutique.