Cherry Audio introduces VSTi emulation of Minimoog - "Minimode"

Discussion in 'Software' started by naitguy, May 2, 2022.

1. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Cherry Audio dropped a new VSTi today called Minimode.. an emulation of Moog's Minimoog Model D. I haven't tried Minimode yet, but GeForce Minimonsta is already pretty good and avail on the sister site.

Minimode Cheaper 'legit' alternative, but hard to think it can beat the Minimonsta.

https://cherryaudio.com/products/minimode

Regular $59USD, on sale for $39USD

Here's a random review/preview.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Krypton85

Krypton85 Ultrasonic

Oh. Wow. A new ..... Moog emulation. Erm. Yeah.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I'm happy with Monark, but the polyphony feature might swing me to this, I'll give the demo a go to see if I prefer the sound.

In all fairness though, I tend to use Mini type sounds monophonically, basslines mostly and sometimes leads.

5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Between Legend and Model 72 I'm good. Not to mention Diva.

Although... I will say that having had a Mini for over 40 years, if this does sound good the utter slavishness to an authentic panel might make me reach for it. I like comfort. Arturia has that wonderful GUI but it's just not that good. Model 72 looks kinda sorta good. Legend is off-putting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

But the Legend and Diva sound the best. What is it with people judging a synth or a plugin by its looks? :/ You're not gonna have sex with it. :)

If you're so much after the looks just buy Behringer's Minimoog-D recreation. It's really not that expensive. Twice the price of Diva if I'm not mistaken. Maybe 3x. :wink:

7. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

All these years and I still cant figure out how to say it... is it pronounced MOOG or is it pronounced MEH?

8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I have one! The Model D that is. I said "IF IT SOUNDS GOOD". And I thought I made it plain that, all things being equal that having had one for decades there's a real usability factor in having things exactly where they are supposed to be, not just close. That's part of the reason I hate Arturia's Mini, besides the fact that it sounds meh- you pull up a preset and it's nice but it has pitch modulation happening. Mod wheel isn't up. Mod knob isn't up. Where the fuck is it coming from? Some bs hidden matrix somewhere. Fuck that. Like I said, right now I consider Softube the best "authentic" emulation and Diva the best elaborate version. But hey, I'll give this a look.

9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I think it should be a law that when an "accurate" emulation is released with extra features not in the original (MIDI control and patch memory excluded) there should be a switch to limit the plugin only to the original features.

It looks like this one has only the polyphony feature that the Mini didn't have which is nice as it's optional.

But you're right, it's all about the sound and feel.

10. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The highly competitive market.
    What Cherry Audio actually does - is the model Behringer, I undercut the competition.

11. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I don't think you can compare hardware and software markets like this. In times of digital delivery there are no monopolies, so pricing is not rigged like it is with HW.

Sure, they sell their software for "cheap", but any developer can do the same and still stay afloat. I will concede that emulations of well known synths is a well worn path by now, but they don't have the first mover advantage. I'm hoping they continue to do stuff like Dreamsynth, you know, original things.

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Comparison Test: Moog Minimoog VS. VST Software Clones

Can you finally put your Minimoog to the bulky waste? You can! Minimonsta and DIVA emulate the sound so perfectly that the hardware is no longer necessary for common pop and rock music productions. Even Arturias Minimoog V2 likes to reproduce a lot of sounds deceptively real. U-he DIVA is so close that only extreme parameter settings can give the original Minimoog a sonic advantage.

I was left breathless several times during the test when the incredible analog power of these programs, coupled with the precision of parameter implementation, made me realize that the virtual world can seem so real.

It's done. The hardware has been successfully implemented into the digital grid.

Source / German : www.amazona.de/vergleichstest-moog-minimoog-vs-vst-software-clones/