cheapest ways to contain sound

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ca5plays, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

i need advice on the cheapest way to contain big sound small space , like 8 feet cubed , how do you keep sub from rattling neighborhood .......

3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

In old days i did this around the sub area, good times lol
    Sub resting on foam from like computer full tower boxes(just don't put it directly on the floor)
    heavily carpeted floors
    Heavy blankets around Sub walls just not in front lol (just make sure its not higher than your waist or your start to affect higher frequencies)

4. My friend, an 8 cubic foot room is only 2ft by 2ft with a 2 foot high ceiling. Can you re-evaluate those dimensions?

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Are you asking for sound proofing (not sound treatment)?

Low frequencies need bigger rooms because of their wavelengths.

Get headphones for your ears and a Subpac for your back.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

What @Baxter said.
    Or fill the room with sand, top to bottom. Cheap and extremely sound proof.

7. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

... what kind/type speakers will you be using in the room ?
    Quite cheap; a thick velvety curtain on the back. Some really heavy tiles under your speakers.
    But sounds like a very small room and with high spl-levels it will be hard to get rid of low end standing waves.

8. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

i have a 10 inch sub but my old annoy neighbor keeps bitching about it i need to contain all the sound in an 8 foot box , what materials are cheap , i could make a could sandwalls tho , that might just work put sand in between two plywood panles like a sanwich , the point is i want to get a bigger powered sub and boooom but if they are bitching now with this dinky dooo sub pooper there is no way i can blast a powered amped joint with out po po a sho sho , ya dig , thanks .....

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

You could take a look at how d-i-y guitar amp/speaker combo isolation cabinet (aka iso box) are built and scale up the panel dimensions to fit inside your room. We're speaking here of an iso box so big that you and all of your kit and kaboodle will fit inside. In other words, a room inside your existing room.

It need not be expensive. In principle, you would aim to acoustically decouple the inside of your giant-sized iso box from the walls, floor and ceiling of your existing room without suffocating yourself once you're inside. Unlikely that you'll so perfectly acoustically isolate your inner sanctum that no sound will be heard from the outside - but it will be significantly more pleasant for your pissed off neighbour.

Here's a clip to get you started. A taster, if you like, for the kinda stuff that you'll need to watch on YouTube.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  10. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

11. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Yep. Good solution, if he had a bigger room. Bass traps need to be quite thick. Problem here is OP only has 8ft to play with. I'd go nuts inside a 5ftx5ftx5ft box and I'm not the slightest bit claustrophobic. (I'm 6ft 4inches from the fingertips of one hand to the fingertips of the opposite hand)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

As a former urban dweller your "bitching" neighbor gets my sympathy. I hate to break the news to you, but unless the structure you're in was constructed for sound isolation you'll never contain the sub frequency content leaving that space to any significant degree. Sound, specifically low frequencies require a ludicrous amount of mass with an insanely high coefficient to be isolated. The room also would have to be sealed tighter than a dolphins asshole. Just for shits n giggles, what on Gods green earth are you doing with a sub in an 8X8X8' room lol!!

13. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

just find yourself a space outside your home.
    to be fair to the neighbour, esp. with heavy bass must be really tortuous.
    if you rent your own studio space you will be free to work however you like. plus, you get somewhere to 'go to work' which is actually a good discipline.

14. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Don't use a sub. Hang some auralex in the usual spots or blanket your walls (below). Use a pro set of headphones in conjunction w/ your monitors. When MIXING on monitors, mix at LOW volumes. When producing, doesn't matter - have fun. Unfortunately, in your situation, the smaller the monitor size, the better - for that room.

Size restrictions can be a creative opportunity.

Check out Producer's Choice blankets. http://www.soundproofingtips.com/producers-choice-acoustic-blankets-review/

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/prod...ankets-for-sound-absorption-producers-choice/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. I know that you are really happy to have a space to work, even if it is just 8x8x8. Treating it so that you can hear it as well enough to make artistic decisions is very important, even if it you need to go makeshift using whatever materials at hand such as blankets, a mattress, or whatever your budget allows. However, there is still a problem, though with a hopefully workable solution.

I feel it of the utmost importance to go out of your way and respect your "old annoy neighbor". There is absolutely no way that you can contain a 10 inch woofer and anything coming out of your mains short of building a room inside the room, which is never going to happen. Really, just wear headphones until you a find a better space. Don't worry, you can still get good work done. You can write to your hearts content and do interim mixes which could sound really, really good if you use reference tracks when you are mixing. If you play your speakers and your neighbor is having a bad time because of how it affects him/her, it is going to kind of infect you music with negative vibes attached to it, which really shouldn't happen, only the good vibe in the spirit of your creation should be offered within your artistic work (unless of course that is your focus) . You might even approach your neighbor, visit them with a box of chocolates or some little gift as well as a smile on your face as they open their door. Let them know who you are so you might ask to raise the volume for a short time now and again. Showing them that you respect them will enable them to make compromises that you or even they might not have expected. All the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List