cheap studio monitors

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Floyd, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Floyd

Floyd Member

Yea been seeing good reviews all over for that so I am gonna go with it for now.

Any closed back head phone recommendations?

2. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

What Rolls Royce?
    These Neumann's are cheap studio speakers. Yes, for the poor they are overpriced as fk (like everything else on the market, wow) and some DIY builders can probably come close to them, cutting the price several times, but there is literally nothing else that comes close on the commercial market (except some focals, maybe, but they are also around the same price tier).
    Rolls Royce equivalents are really good hi-fi speakers, used by some mastering studios (these cost like 50k+, not 5k)!
    I don't say that you can't produce, mix and master music on whatever, but calling lowest level prosumer market gear " reference studio monitor speaker" is a pure lie. They aren't.
    People learn their speakers by listening to tons of music , that's how mixing on shit speakers works, but these lowest level speakers don't represent some parts of frequency spectrum, so good luck with something that you can't even hear.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Frankly speaking @Floyd I have several head phones - all AKG old stuff - I dont actully use them for mixing, but for a fast/closer look (listen) to what Im doing and when Im doing field recordings... that´s it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. Floyd

Floyd Member

I want these for tracking now mixing so I don't get headphone bleed in any vocals I may record.

5. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

well, that's just for saving money, ain't got money to a studio monitor yet so I guess theres nothing bellow this price range better than that, also I mix really bad in headphones :(

6. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I was making a point about cost. Also, to imply that someone is "poor" simply because they cant afford 3.5k speakers is a bit condescending. You dont need to spend 3.5k to find reliable speakers. You don't even need to spend $350 on speakers to find monitors that will help you mix, especially when you have someone who has clearly stated they are on a budget of $150 and is just starting out.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Its ok, Im sure he's mixed tons of professional recordings in his fancy studio with his cheap $3500 monitors. He's got all those frequencies none of us can even hear on our Tannoy/JBL/Yamaha/Dynaudio/Blue Sky/etc monitors.

Probably never even heard a $500 Adam let alone a $3500 pair of Neumanns outside of playing some shitty brostep on Guitar Center's showroom display.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

You can get a decent pair of low budget monitors in that price range, and even more so if youre willing to buy used:

https://prostudiogear.com/best-studio-monitors-under-150-studio-sound-on-a-shoestring/
    https://consordini.com/best-budget-studio-monitors-under-200/

Also, dont sell yourself short on headphones. A good pair of headphones slightly more affordable and are handy when you cant mix under ideal situations. Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are right in your price range and are built to last.

9. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

No room treatment can substitute a weak engineered speaker. You pay more because you can work faster with a speaker that has less limitations and translates to the real world better without having the need to check the mix 100 times in your car. Time is money.

Poorly designed cabinet, room treatment can not fix resonances inside the speaker.
    Slow cones, again, problem of a speaker, room acoustics can not help there.
    Transient energy not displayed properly or fast enough, again problem of tweeters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Saur

Saur Ultrasonic

Wouldn't the ideal speaker have no cabinet at all? Like, floating phase-aligned drivers?

If you're planning to use something like Room EQ Wizard, maybe 'flat' isn't the most important aspect, but fast cones, good cabinet, decent room, and then Room-EQ it?

11. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Coaxial speakers could help you.

Some also use auratone speakers for this purpose.
    They have no crossover which means no phase problems.
    EQ can not address these issues.

12. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Kali audio!!! Save a extra 50 and get the 8s you wont be disappointed in the price to quality value

13. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Ultrasonic

Maybe take a look at Swissonic AM5 or Fluid Audio F5... They are in your price range

14. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

While there is a long list of things that should be considered when setting up a room to monitor in, a large majority of users making music in their home studio are going to be confronted with less than ideal situations when setting up their speakers. A good portion of us do our best within those circumstances and what we can afford, but that shouldn't limit anyone to refrain from making music or mixing within their means simply because they cant afford expensive gear or set up a "professional" studio at home. If this was the case, 99% of the music made over the past 30 years wouldn't even exist.

Yes, all of those things you listed are important. But I will argue that what is more important, especially for someone who is just starting out, is to worry less about being able to afford expensive equipment or the finer details of acoustics, and simply get their feet wet by making music you enjoy. No one should ever be discouraged or persuaded to believe that music is not worth doing simply because you cant afford expensive equipment or dont own a professional studio.

15. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Absolutely agree with you.
    I just thought it was also important for the more experienced people to know there are some problems regarding speakers that room acoustics can not resolve.

16. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I remember an engineer from Dynaudio saying in a video they don't trust in coaxial speakers because the woofer introduce distortion to the tweeter because of its own vibrations.
    So yes coaxial are good for phase alignment but they are not more perfect than traditional woofer and a separated tweeter.

17. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

They can have their problems yes, but it depends very much from company to company.
    KS digital has high end coaxial speakers, many get great results with them.
    Interestingly, Behringer just released new Tannoy gold coaxial speakers, some people over GS say they are good.

18. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Coaxial speakers are part of the Tanoy's culture.I see these Tanoy monitors,they seem awesome and they are cheap on top of that!
    I read some discussions on Gearslutz about these monitors too,and most users feel happy with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Floyd

Floyd Member

Interesting comments all round, definitely not going to let me not having expensive gear stop me, it hasn't yet so why now??

20. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Oh my here we go again. Yes, Neumanns kH310 are awsome monitors. But why recommend something that is 20x the budget OP is asking for?
    JBLs 305 are awesome too, and those are within the budget.
    Actually they do have a similar sound to the neumanns, they are not genelecly harsh, they're decently soft. You can use them for hours without coming blood from your ears. Of course they won't show that 103% percent of your mix a 3600 bucks / pair monitors will show. But they show enough to let you do your mix without any surprises elsewhere. They definitley will tell you what you need to know to do proper mixing.
    I own KH80, KH120 and KH310, and a pair of JBLs 305 and I can tell you: The JBLs are serious monitors. don't let the pricetag fool you.
    IMHO they come right after the kh120 (that is because I prefer the KH80 over the KH120).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List