Cheap "Semi open" headphones?

Discussion in 'technology' started by Ambar, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Ambar

Ambar Producer

I need to buy a "cheap" "semi open" headphones (for monitoring and other things) but I couldnt find any brand. Please help me to find one

3. notremid

notremid Producer

Here you go- Superlux HD 681
    Its pretty cheap and good.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

How "cheap"? :)

5. Ambar

Ambar Producer

Less than $100

6. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

AKG K240 Studio :like:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Best Answer
    Like Notremid said HD 681 or Samson SR850 (AKG K701 clones),samsons cost around 40$
    Though i think the general consensus on many pro audio forums was that SR850 were a tad more revealing since they have updated speaker drivers.
    If i would have to choose sub 100$ headphones for budget mixing it would be the samsons over any other brand name headphones, they are that good.
    If you do any vocal recordings you need additional headphones though,closed design to prevent any leakage.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I have to agree with nOxin. The AKG K240 is a good set of phones under $100.

AKG K240 Studio (B-stock - ON SALE - $55.00)!!! :
    http://www.proaudiostar.com/akg-k-240-studio.html

Sennheiser HD 518 ($68.47):
    on AMAZON

Sennheiser HD 558 ($96.71)
    on AMAZON

All of these are great prices too! I do own a pair of HD558, and they sound great for the price. I would imagine that the HD 518 sound good too. Might want to take into account how comfortable the cans are if you will mix with them for hours at a time.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  9. Ambar

Ambar Producer

i've been thinking about samson too but that Superlux was a good choice because its cheaper than samson
    ....and finally i decided to buy the samson headphones thanks to your little info :) also thanks to you all guys, you always helpful :wink:

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You have made the right decision Ambar,good luck mate!

11. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I had Samson SR950. Now using beyer's dt880. SR950/SR850 are the most underrated cans in my opinion. SR950 are similar to SR850 but closed-back. I bought SR950 because I like to hear the bigger spectrum of sound stage. I also found the frequency response of SR950 which is here:

[​IMG]
    I heard that SR850 has similar response but it's not as bassy as SR950. Take this response as a guide with less bass and do careful exactly opposite eqing on master channel. You can get a relatively flat frequency response. Sonarworks will hate you :)

12. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

My vote goes to HD 668B. Just change the pads to something else or put some socks (new) over the existing ones. It's easy to do, feels more confortable and sounds a little bit less scooped (mainly less bass).

13. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

AKG M80 MkII Semi-Open Studio Headphone $69 Guitar center

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@ed-enam
    Yea,950 are great as well,though i would never mix with closed back headphones.
    With 850 you basically get K701 clones,ofcourse the build quality is not the same as AKG`s,but the sound is very similiar and you can get a nice mix done.
    Somewhere down the line its a must to invest in monitor speakers so you can improve your mixes to the next level.
    Something can sound great on headphones but not on speakers.
    But for someone who doesnt have much money to spend the Samsons are a godsend.

15. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Yes bro I know. I was just giving a tip to get a relatively flat response. Thanks anyway.

16. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

disagree as price/performance ratio is too bad, tested the whole range for a month about a year ago and they just suck big time. maybe as a replacement for the replacement pair at best. worst stuff ever - i dont even care about the material , solely audio was of interest for me , and it was terrible

17. notremid

notremid Producer

And that's just your opinion. It got decent reviews from many sources. Anyways, the OP asked for "cheap" headphones so for USD 30 cans, you cannot expect Beyerdynamic or Focal's quality. So I don't know why you are complaining about price/performance ratio.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  18. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Venture Electronics - Monk
    Those aren't full sized cans (earbuds), and are rather open than semi-open. But for $5 they sound really good, not that far from AKG K240

You can easily mix on headphones only, if you know what to avoid (panning "too far") and take good care of the depth. Also for the job, diffuse-field equalized headphones (HD600, HD650, ...) are perfect.
    Then a cheapo speakers for checking mix "stability" are sufficient.
    Monitors are great addition, but not necessary, since every speaker can sound only as good as the room it's in. Just because "pros" mix on monitors doesn't make it "right" or the "only way".

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You can also take your bicycle to your job and drive on one wheel.Yes you can,though there are several reasons why you should also have studio monitors from ear fatigue to pannning to reverbs that can easily be fucked up on headphones,etc...
    Dont get me wrong i do 70-80% of mixing on headphones,though it takes a lot of experience to solely mix on headphones.
    Some things are easier to fix on headphones and some on monitors.
    Some people cant mix on monitors because of several reasons,neighbours,student room,budget etc....
    Though its good to have both if possible.

20. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Most real studios I have been in use AKG for monitors for the musicians. I have some personal experience with Senn.'s, but not that model. Most work fine for the jobs for which they are intended. But I can also say I bought a set of CAD's, and they never get used. Bass is extremely exaggerated in those. (Price seemed worth a try, it wasn't.)