Cheap decent hardware raid for OSX and WIN

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ovalf, Jul 23, 2015.

1. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Whats the future of of PCI?
    Apple has dropped in favor of thunderbolt, but if you wanna buy the new mac pro you will spend way more with thunderbolt deevices.
    So, companies will start to drop the support for new OSs and many already made for pcie cards for apple pro and hackintoshes.

An old article show how to buy cheap pcie raid cards for under 50 usd here
    Actually you can find 8 port cards about 25usd

DUKSCRY
    in Insanely Mac made a drive compatible with many raid cards that now can works with OS X
    Driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family

Powering a Dell PERC 5 card with two volumes present:
    [​IMG]

Installer (which consists of kext and management util) and debug version of kext are here.

I/O Kit driver for LSI MegaRAID SAS family of hardware RAID controllers, which isn't supported by proprietary MegaRAID.kext (PPC) and AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext or AppleRAIDCard.kext (x86). This driver is Xcode project, for OS X.

This family of controllers uses SCSI protocol for data passing, so your device will be presented as parallel SCSI controller to the system.

Here's rough list of cards which should be supported:

LSI MegaRAID SAS 8xxx, 92xx
    Dell PERC 5, PERC/CERC 6, H310, H700, H800
    IBM ServeRAID M1015, M1115, M5014
    Intel RAID SRCSAS18E, SRCSAS144E

Except for / definitely unsupported:

controllers with non-MegaRAID firmware
    cards based on SAS2208 (Thunderbolt) chip
    Fusion-MPT of various generations, like SAS2308

Note, that probably almost every card from this family requires x86 host w BIOS/EFI to get access to device firmware's management utility (maybe such card will work on PPC machine but without booting capatibility and you'll not be able to do initial setup of things outside of OS, i.e. you'll need to insert card inside of PC to create virtual disks and so on).

Notes for coder:

Templates are used for interaction with project-independend helper library
    Structures, enumerations and unions are typedefined to raise 'pointer to incomplete type' invisible errors
    Incapsulation ignored
    Checks for DMA buffers bouncing aren't required on OS X, and hence, you'll see no synchronization primitives in code

F.A.Q.:
    Q: Why do i need this driver? There is an AppleLSIFusionMPT already.
    A: You need to use mine if you have non-Fusion card. See this.
    Q: Any chance to make cards based on SAS2208 chip work?
    A: The chip belongs to the same family, but it requires a lot of handling different from common handling for supported cards. Adding it's support to the current driver will lead to code bloat. One who wants support for this chip may write separate driver based on my work.
    Q: Is pass-through mode supported?
    A: No it isn't. See explanation in linked post.
    Q: Is it possible to push more from my setup?
    A: It may be.
    The plist from "Unsafe settings unlocked.zip" allows tweaking of dangerous options. Before playing with them you need to detach all HDDs with critical data and attach some spare HDD for doing the tweaks. The "MaxSGL" option is number of scatter gather list entries you controller can handle. The "MaxTransferSize" determines the maximum size of data transfer (in bytes) per request your controller can catch. If you set them to some enormously big value then they will be truncated to the max your hardware can achieve (may still be not safe enough for successful data transfers). "MaxTransferSizePerSegment" does the same but for a single SGL entry (will never be larger than MaxTransferSize). For the tests you need to stick to the system.log and start a transfer of a >= 100gb data. If the settings you set are inappropriate, you'll see the I/O errors.

Q: The driver loads but my device doesn't show up in profiler. What should i do?
    A: Are you looking for your device under Parallel SCSI? Because you should!
    If it's not a case, try inverting "PreferMSI" key value. It's under "Settings" dictionary in kext's plist. A must for 8708EM2 card!
    Q: Can't find my device under SAS, SATA or Apple RAID in Profiler.
    A: You should check under Parallel SCSI instead. See details.
    Q: Ok, it shows now and i have my RAIDs configured, but OS X doesn't see them!
    A: Are you sure you set the volumes you'd like to see as virtual (logical) disks in controller's BIOS? See question on pass-through upper.
    Q: Done, but still the same issue.
    A: Your firmware may not to use contiguous drive enumeration. Try "Uncontiguous enumeration.zip" by download link at the begin. See full issue report.
    Q: My Mac stopped to go sleep after i've loaded your kext.
    A: This is awaited. See this post for reasoning. If you meet mentioned requirement, download "Unsafe sleep enabled.zip" and try.

I bought a LSI 8708 with 256 ram and put 7 old 1,5 hdds for my kontak lib and general backup and they fly in Mavericks with raid 0.
    In the next future I will make a raid 5 or 6.
    With some cards it need some edit like for mine (msi=no and insert correct pcivendor and pcidevice),

The original site works slowly, so if anyone need help I will do what I can.

Check compatiblity before buy.
    Sata 3 cards works and even El Captain :wink:

3. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

usually, a user don't need RAID.
    please keep in mind, that a RAID drive is NO BACKUP REPLACEMENT!

RAIDs are for reliability and/or failure safety. it's for server structures, not for consumer setups.

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

You need if you wanna play largar kontakt files, thats the objective as I described.
    Also a big raid must be only the half of the total in a system, I have 2 other raids and 2 ssds that are used to backup the big raid and the big raid backups them.
    Thats way I way start to use raid 5 or 6 where the raid keep working even when a hdd fail.
    Theres a lot of newbies here but also pros, just check how many thanks and downloads are made in big kontakt posts at audioz
    These setup and todays raids are very secure, 10 years ago I used raid only for a performance with calculated risk, in the last years never had a single problem.
    Its not only for servers, all the mobos have a raid configuration, its for the ones who need performace, much cheap than a bunch os ssds *yes*