Caveat Emptor - Burn this City (special guest mastering)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Cav Emp, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Our very own @subGENRE aka Mikey Thai is trying to help make a man of me. Actually just a mastering engineer, but he was kind enough to master this track so I can use the project for educational purposes.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • List
  3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

A valuable job... as usual. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

thanks buddy

5. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Damn! My speakers just blew up! :speaker:

So now I'm able to hear my unhappy neighbours ringing at my door like a crazy f**, I guess he doesn't like bass so much... ^^

More seriously, good job guys! :wink:
    Il like the effects on the second voice during the chorus!

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Just as usual ....... at the top of your profession.:yes:

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I appreciate that, man. You've been really cool to me in my music posts. Sorry I was a bit of an asshole in that other thread. Guess I felt you were being a little unfair to that guy but tbh it wasn't really my business/problem. Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers bro

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. ned944

ned944 Moderator

Another Masterpiece My Friend!!

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

You're welcome my burly buddy. Your track is bumpy but bunny and bawdy. I don't want to bandy with hurly-burly about your bulky and baggy wordy. Maybe I'm batty but not bully, booby and barmy. My works sound bitty but yours are so balmy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

Not in this type of music, but is so damn solid to me! :bow:

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

nice flowin' @Cav Emp really cool sound assault behind it too...
    props to @subGENRE for the assist :wink:

dig that last bar.. wub wub.. wub.. fadeout. haha

contact Kanye now... he needs some rhymes Fos, I see a future for you and Yeezy, and you might even
    get to hit Kim K's krak from da back !

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

FWIW subGENRE is seriously not getting nearly the credit he deserves for making this sound as polished as it does, and that is solely because you guys haven't heard the raw mix. The man did some serious wrangling of unruly basses.

That bass that hits on the 2 is, I think. an Omni preset. It's the only one I didn't make and so it's got a different sort of composition and a more powerful sub than the others. Plus it does an octave slide every several bars, which causes a big jump in volume.

Sub said something like "send me your best raw mix". My brain went all stupid and said "hey how bout this song I really like?"

edit: btw....

Yuck :rofl:
    Never thought she was hot but now she's un-hot AND old. Now Kendall.... that's another story

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Wow, thanks for the props! Im still figuring it out though but Im getting a little better every mix. And I am confident in my decisions now instead of just guessing. Ive spent years learning the craft but honestly, its more about training your ears than learning the technique
    The raw mix
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3xh299ksnpddao/Burn This City 70BPM (48-32).wav?dl=0
    I did try to re-synthesize the subs with lo air but there wasnt enough for it to grab on to, so I hit it hard with rbass (same algo as maxbass) and slammed everything up to 80hz. If I would have had access to the mix project I would have addressed the issue correctly.

In retrospect I think there should have been a seperate subbass track in the mix to carry it when the synths get thin. Like just a low sine nothing special, like dubstep production

14. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Badass. There are perfect moments reminding me of Hopsin.

15. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Really appreciate that bro. The latter I take as a big compliment. Hopsin is a bad motherfucker.

Funny you should say that too. Goes to show he and I have similar influences. I've recently started listening to him a lot, but it was actually long after this track was made. I just straight up spam the Hopsin station on Pandora these days whenever I work out or play video games. It's got the perfect mix of dope dudes that are lyrical and interesting without being too hippy-dippy and lame (ahem... Macklemore, Mac Miller).

I used to go on rapmusic.com waaay back in the day (2006 or so) for the GRB battle tournaments when Hopsin and his then manager "The Business" were on there. I hardly pay attention to what's getting hype and one day out of fucking nowhere some fucking kid I knew from high school was posting on facebook about how dope Hopsin is. I check Hop's Youtube page and sure enough, millions and millions of views. I was pumped.

16. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

so @subGENRE added some to the bass? it definitely sounds like he added his touches to it.. in a good way.. it's really kicking
    up what you do @Cav Emp so yeah he deserves a big hand.. a drum roll..and what the hell, a bag of Sun chips too

Mikey got a future.. hope he'll be gettin' paid for the magic....