Carpet in Control Room and/or iso booth

Discussion in 'Studio' started by OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef, Feb 16, 2016.

1. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

Looking for information about carpeting options for control room and/or iso booth.

Current flooring in both is hardwood floor.

Wondering if i should do really tight carpeting in the control room and iso booth. I know you want to deaden the sound, so i was wondering if loose shaggy-like carpet is better (to absorb the sound) versus tight loop carpeting (which may reflect sound). And also wondering if the iso booth should stay hardwood and the control room being made carpet. I prefer carpeting all together, but not sure if its better to do that than hardwood.

Input helpful.

Every studio ive worked in had floating hardwood in the rooms besides control room which was always carpeting of some type.

3. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Hey there. Just about to move into a new home and will have own studio man-cave to deck out with sound absorbers (ordered) and of course, wall-to-wall carpeting. So I, like you, wondered what type? Found some helpful articles, and links provided where possible:

"If the carpet has a loose knap and an open weave, unsealed back, then you are in luck. You can add a dense felt carpet pad, thicker the better for sound, and you will have a quiet carpet.

If the carpet is open backed, then you can add top quality carpet felt, not foam but the very best, hotel grade felt underlayment. You will get sound absorption from this felt underlayment. If the carpet is open backed, the type of pile and knap does not matter much, as long as the sound can get into the felt underlayment.
    The best situation would be to find a sound absorbing knap with an open back. Then you can use foam or other type of underlayment and have an even better acoustic carpet.
    Caution! With open back carpet, you cannot use underlayment that is sealed on the top. Sealed underlayment often has a blue skin on the top. When this is pressed down by the open back carpet it turns the open back carpet into a closed back carpet. Use an underlayment that does not have a seal. You do not want to put the sealed side of the underlayment against the floor. This makes a humidity trap.

Regarding acceptable acoustic carpet choices for an audio room:General guidelines: -longer threads, more dense pile-Use 40 ounce (7/16" thick) expensive felt pad. -Carpet backing is not sealed with plastic. -Thicker carpet, thicker felt pad the better. -Deep pile Persian carpet is ideal.
    Three approved choices for roll carpet:
    Stainmaster carpet "Dazzling Light" (Acoustic rated)
    Stainmaster carpet "Calypso Royal" (not rated, but good)
    Gulistan carpet "Touch of Love" (not rated, but good)
    ASC does not supply acoustic carpet or carpet accessories at this time."

http://www.acousticsciences.com/media/articles/acoustic-carpets-high-end-audio-applications

Hope this helps!

:) I know something now ...
    Cardamom

4. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

These people will help you, even if you don't buy their products. Info and tools here. It never hurts to research/ask the pros. Posted this link many times. Products are fire retardant, which I think is important. http://www.auralex.com/product/sheetblok-sound-barrier/ I use their stuff, and my PC is certified "Whisper Quiet" by them.