Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Gone, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Gone

Gone Newbie

Good day all!

I recently ran into a scare with my MacBook Pro, so I've been frantically trying to back everything up and prepare for the worst.

I've had a WD 2TB External HD for a few years now. I have all my samples / sounds / project files on there, and usually load everything up from there (especially the bulkier plugins, such as Omnisphere). I decided to try Carbon Copy Cloner, since my 2TB is quite old, and bought a WD 4TB External HD to keep a 2nd backup.

I cloned everything yesterday overnight, and woke up to do a little testing. I unplugged the 2TB to see if presets / file paths for Kontakt samples would load properly through the new hard drive, but the paths are all messed up.

Attached is a picture of a set of errors I got when I tried to do a cloning again. Does anybody know how I could clone one external HD to another while preserving file paths?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: "GOD" is the name of the 4TB hard drive.

Attached Files:

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You need a clone tool to copy one external HD to another and can't just copy it???

4. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Best Answer
    Are you backup up a Time Machine drive here?

The paths (Kontakt) will still need re pointing after a clone as its still seen as another drive albeit a clone

5. Gone

Gone Newbie

Thank you!

I see, so there is no way to preserve the file paths, I'd have to manually fix directories for projects as I go along.

6. Gone

Gone Newbie

Yep, decided to try a clone tool since I had manually just drag / dropped everything before, but was getting broken file paths for certain plugins. Found out that I'd have to just manually solve the discrepancies as I went along!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

There maybe is, someone here might have a solution.

But I generally just CCC the drive and let Kontakt re index the libs later on, as it's does a thourough job and I've no issues later down the road. That way (even though longer) I'm not having to remember custom folders/symbolic links/settings etc etc.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Just out of curiosty, if you please, I've done a similar thing with my Windows PC, copied a small drive to a bigger one, unplugged the small and gave the bigger one the same volume letter as the small one had. Worked without any problems, all files were found immediately. That doesn't work with MacOS?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I'm guessing the drive letters must be enough? Not sure to be honest.
    As Macs don't use drive letters maybe that's where I'm hitting a wall, even with same named drives. The main OS restores work fine, but I've not had success with sample drives... maybe it's just me :/

I'll test it this weekend with a spare SSD

10. Gone

Gone Newbie

So I came up with a solution that worked for me. I had to make sure that both drives were also formatted the same (My 4TB was exFAT and my 2TB was hfs+, so I just wiped and converted the 4TB drive into hfs+ format, which is Mac OS Journaled).

Thank you both for your help :) It was driving me insane.