Can't Remember How It Is Done With Instruments For Kontakt...

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by BradCutter, Apr 20, 2021.

1. BradCutter

BradCutter Member

Some years ago I used Kontakt and did well, but haven't done audio for some time.
    Coming back, I don't remember much at all.
    I did have a stroke so there's that.
    But it all looks different and as yet I haven't been able to load a single instrument into Kontakt.
    In the fog of my brain I seem to vaguely picture making .jpgs and .nicnt files for instruments to load in Kontakt but I can't really remember how that is done or what I did with them.
    Most all of the tutorials I've found are beyond me, at this point I'm way down on the bunny hill!
    What I am asking for, is some kind folk to point me towards some very, very basic how to's.
    So I can at least get back some of what I used to do.
    What I really need is a tutor but that's not likely to happen.
    I would very much appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks Much and Cheers,
    BradCutter

3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Shitty about your stroke, man. Hope you're doing better. I'll try and explain it for you rather than pointing to a tutorial somewhere (as I don't personally know any.. I do this all the time so I don't need any tutorial)

Anyways, based on what you're describing, I'm going to assume one thing: looks like you're talking about using libraries in Kontakt Portable for Windows.. is that right? If so, read on.. if not.. ignore me..

LOADING IN A LIBRARY THAT HAS AN .NICNT
    So some "k'd libraries" have .nicnt files already. With those, you can use the Library Manager that is part of Kontakt Portable, which you can find on the "sister site" if you don't already have it. We can't provide the URL to that site, but hopefully you know the site people mean when referring to "sister site". If not, PM me. Anyways, you'll find the library manager in the Helper folder if you browse within the Kontakt Portable folder in Windows Explorer. You can also run the library manager from within Kontakt Portable instead, if you like. So, you use that to add any Kontakt libraries that have the .nicnt files.

CREATING AN .NICNT IF ONE DOESNT EXIST
    If they don't have that .nicnt, then you'll need to use something to create them first (well, if you want them to show in the library list). I use something called KLC.exe.. I had to find that myself, and honestly I'm not sure where you can grab that right now, as I don't see it on the sister site. But if you do find that, you just run that, and it's pretty self explanatory. It will create the nicnt for you, and even a dummy wallpaper. If you can't find KLC.exe, again, PM me, and we can figure out a way to get you that.

Speaking of wallpapers, you can grab those here on the forum. There's a thread with a crap load of wallpapers already made here: https://audiosex.pro/threads/kontakt-wallpaper-request-comments.27513/

You can request any you need there too, but chances are they're already there.

Note: One more thing, you don't necessarily have to build a .nicnt to load libraries in Kontakt. For some libraries, you can also just browse within Kontakt and find the instrument file. Some are actually designed that way (and they'll work with Kontakt PLAYER <- free). Personally, I hate doing it that way, and I always just build the NICNT anyways. I like to see it in the list of libraries, and like to load it that way. I even do that with libraries I bought, and I even own Kontakt, but still prefer to load those in through Kontakt Portable instead. Any other way is just cumbersome, in my opinion, and it's worth the one time effort of building the NICNT! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. BradCutter

BradCutter Member

naitguy, Thank you for replying. I am well aware of the "sister site", although I prefer another as my browser has issues with it.
    You are right in your assumption that I was using K-Portable before. Recently I downloaded K-6 full but dumped it and loaded up K-5.6 the full version. Hope that's not a bad thing, the full version as opposed to the portable. I will look around for KLC.exe, seems that's a good prog to have. I don't remember using a program to make .nicnt files before, will use it if I can find it. Nice that it will also create the wallpaper as well. I downloaded some instruments to get started by searching for drums or whatever followed by Kontakt 5. Figuring they would load into it easier for me than others starting off. One issue I've run into with the files is some create a ISO. Then when trying to install the instrument after extracting the ISO it gives an error, "install from original DVD". Looking how to mount the ISO as a virtual disc and installing directly from that. Also amazing how much crap there is posted out there. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

4/22/2021:
    Found the KLC download for vers1 and another more sophisticated one by Abyss for $20 but have not bought it yet. Type, "kontakted" into Google and it will show the url for it. Mounted the ISO as a virtual drive and installed a bass guitar from it. After your post I have a much better understanding of the basics as I am going through things. Next I will make .nicnt's and wallpapers for those that don't have them and start loading instruments into Kontakt.

OK, so now I'm finding the instruments are saying they are demos. I did not see any serial numbers and assumed they were crked...but apparently not.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021