Can't record MIDI with Cubase anymore.... (Windows 11)

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by guy500, Jun 19, 2024.

1. guy500

guy500 Newbie

A few days ago, I downloaded Cubase Pro 13 to try/learn, so I'm very new to all this.

At first, it seemed to work fine (even though I could do almost nothing on it yet), and I was trying to follow tutorials to learn it, but found that whenever I had Cubase open, I couldn't get any sound out of Youtube. ChatGPT "helpfully" advised me to go into my PC sound settings and prevent applications from taking exclusive control of my sound. That's when the problem started - I couldn't get any sound at all out of Cubase after that, though other PC sound was fine and the indicators within these programs showed that there was a signal being generated. Switching the PC sound settings back to where they were didn't work, even after several restarts.

Someone on a forum advised me to download and install ASIO4ALL drivers and try that. That helped a little. I switched the Cubase settings to this new driver, and now I can get sound out of Cubase (though I often need to fiddle around a lot in audio settings to get even that), but I still can’t record anything. It look like it's recording and it does show a signal, but when I stop the recording, there's nothing there.

And if I switch back to the General Low Latency drivers there is again no sound at all.

I’ve been playing around in the audio connections (which I don't really understand) trying to make it work, I see that it's impossible to get the same channels set for the Outputs and the Control Room, whichever driver I'm trying to set up. My soundcard is called "Live! 24 Bit External", but if I set the Outputs to "Live! 24 Bit External 1" and "Live! 24 Bit External 2", then the Control Room L/R are automatically set to 3/4, which doesn't seem to correspond to anything.

Can anyone please help me to get Cubase up and running so i can learn it???