Can't install Kontakt 5.x on M1 Ultra / macos Ventura 13.1

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Brock, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Brock

Brock Newbie

I have tried installing several different K'd versions of K5 and macos/Cubase block them all. I found a standalone version of 5.6 that can be used to add libraries (for K6), but the .vst files get blacklisted by Cubase. I go into Security Settings and click Allow but the blocked VST won't clear in the Security Settings. Every time I go back, it's still there. I tried to clear it more than 10x in a row and it won't go away. I've also deleted Cubase's blacklist but Cubase blacklists it every time on launch. I've also tried to reinstantiate it in Cubase's Plugin Manager but that just triggers the macos security prompt.

I've also tried using various SUDO codes I've seen to sign it but it seems to not do anything.

Can someone please advise:
    1. Which specific K'd version of K5 works on Mac Studio M1 Ultra / macos Ventura as a .vst in Cubase?
    2. How do I install it?
    Yes, I'm using K6 without any issues, but I need K5 to work as a .vst is for legacy projects.

I appreciate your help!

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I am not using an m1. But I have a piece of script I'd like someone in your boat to try anyway. I know it works perfectly on Intel machines, at least up to a certain point. it finds every file of types we use for audio plugins, except aax of course. And then it attempts to code sign them. All at once. It takes a few minutes to run and it might make this very much faster if it does work for you. It would be quite helpful to me if you could test. you have to enter your password only once into Terminal. For every working plugin on the machine. :)

Try this:

#!/bin/bash

cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/

find . -name "*.bundle" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.VST" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.vst3" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.component" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.dpm" -execdir sudo xattr -cr \;
    find . -name "*.bundle" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.VST" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.vst3" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.component" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;
    find . -name "*.dpm" -execdir sudo codesign -f -s - {} \;

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  4. Brock

Brock Newbie

Hey. thanks for chiming in! I tried it and got the following error after the first command: zsh: event not found: /bin/bash

Suggestions?

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

yes, start by issuing the command. cd /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/ by itself.

then paste run the rest.

6. Brock

Brock Newbie

Okay, did it. It processed all of my plugins. Kontakt 5 still wouldn't work. I opened other plugins to make sure they were okay since it processed all of them, and eventually Nuendo crashed. Thankfully I'd copied them all to the desktop prior to doing this.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

You ran it with your DAW open? Depending on the MacOS, you can actually have to reboot for some plugins to register in Logic or other. Some versions of MacOS from Mojave on, you can push the issue and even install plugins without rebooting; by forcing validation. But you can never have anything good occur with your DAW open while you do any of it. Sorry, I should have included this.

Ok so, firstly; you are using both Cubase and Nuendo? You have probably left out a detail as well. Like you are running with SIP Disabled or not because your versions are from VR or other?

And have you considered just using the Kitty Scripts to avoid installing K5 in the first place? I can't say if they work or not on m1. But that would be the easiest answer to your woes.

8. Brock

Brock Newbie

I did not run it with my DAW open. I also did not reboot after running the script. I use legit current 12.x versions of Cubase/Nuendo. What is SIP?

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

System Integrity Protection. Yours should still be enabled, If you have legit versions of both programs installed and working. It would only be off, if you did it on purpose.

this stuff will help you get this working. Did you try Kitty Scripts btw? You could get out of installing 5 altogether possibly.