Can't get good tone with virtual guitars.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by garyg199, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@Crisis? What Crisis? How much you want for that moog?

Distortion? Have you run your signal through the EXT input on that Sub 37?

2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Clearly the easiest and cheapest solution for a few chugs... hell yeah :rofl:

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Spoken like a TRUE guitarist :P

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I assume the sampled guitar was played with fingers?

And it's obvious that OP is talking about amps and cabinets, isn't it? :winker:

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

One thing that helps a lot (I'm a guitarist, but I've done similar things with other sampled stringed instruments that I've no access to) is using the same voicings as one would be playing on an actual guitar. The ones you play on a keyboard rarely match the ones on a guitar, and you've also got to take the range into account.

That said, let's say you want a standard E minor or something, the notes would not be E, G, B but rather spaced out on two octaves like E2 (the low open E string), B2, E3, G3, B3, E4 (high open E string).

Sorry if this sounds condescending or obvious, but it's in the same vein as some "realistic" drum patterns that would require the drummer to have 4 arms. This stuff makes especially sense when you've carving out your tone and distorting it, those doubled octaves really make the difference.

*edit:* It's just typical that I'd get the notes of a basic triad wrong, fixed. Don't drink and post, people!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Try running a basic guitar patch through something like Helix Native or something similar. There are several simulators out but they will take some time to get that sound you want. Thing I like about Helix is that there are many users creating shared patches and some are pretty darn good. Also for any guitar sim, you really have to play the thing like you would play a real guitar. too many people try to play instruments like they play a piano or synth. Doesn't sound right.

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I'm not sure if this is the sort of sound you're after but this was done with.. hold on I will have to look it up.. it was a while ago..

For the Overdriven guitars I used Music Lab Real Rick (Rickenbacker) with pod2 amps and Ableton's Overdrive.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

:rofl:

This isn't condescending at all, this is useful. As opposed to certain others...

9. No I haven't. I should try it since I don't use it for much. It's closer to the guitar rig than my other Moog which probably has a better filter.

9A786E6A-CE94-47C7-A667-F7E79CE18BAA.jpeg

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, but you change the sound to your liking with your fingers and damping technique when you are playing, not afterwards, but I get your point. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@Zenarcist What comes first? The chicken or the egg?

12. RiffMaster

RiffMaster Guest

Having been a touring and gigging guitarist for the last 40 years its so easy take for granted the ability to rattle off an entire track in minutes and move on to the next take , then i see what you guys have to go through with hours of tweaking just to get down what takes me 30 seconds , im in awe of you my god youve got some serious patience and love of your craft , well ard guys , totally with Zenarcist on this , us old skoolers self eq and self compress while we are playing , we dont need no fucker dickin with it when we're dun ..................

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
  14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

That's it in a nutshell. I was doing exactly the same thing and I asked myself why am I doing this? This is a conundrum for all budding musicians. I started off with a computer and a tiny midi keyboard, and eventually you have to decide how best to move forward. I thought my music sounded too robotic, so I introduced some guitars and analogue synths. Same with bass, and I even try to get a friend to play live e-drums, instead of using midi loops. Now my music has come to life, and it sounds almost real. It's not easy and it takes time, but I couldn't be any more happier.

Back to the OP @garyg199, I hope that you can find a good solution that works for you :wink:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The EQ? :winker:

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yeah yeah, virtual guitars should die and stuff.
    Back to the topic, I have a few files with info to learn to rock Shreaddge 3 guitars I collected lately. It's more about how to play them than the FX tone.
    https://mega.nz/#!WB4m2YKR!RtDF5js2vBPDiO97tu9khRHgWcuNz8gF0L99v-FcueY
    Pass: (surprisee...)
    Xupito
    xupito

(sorryyy... lol)

Some videos (listed in the file) are needed, you can download/view them in youtube.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

They shouldn't die, but they do need to fit your required usage. You can't phone the guy up and ask him to play it a little differently. I'm not a keyboard player, but I know I have to have one if I want to avoid sounding generic. I don't see how increasing your options is a bad thing.

Back to the topic.. :wink:

19. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I have made music with virtual guitars for years and here is what I think:

(The extreme version) Its like using a corpse as puppet to perform Shakespeare.

(More practical advice)
    In order for your virtual guitar to feel alive, your first stop should be at the sequencing stage. Use as much fret noise, pick attack sound and other sounds (mistakes, off timings, ghost notes, release noises, general inconsistencies that don't break the pattern/rhythm) as possible, on top of your midi notes. Your ears should help you. I found recreating rhythm and solos of popular songs using isolated stems can greatly improve your sequencing.

Master the use of vibrato, bends and portamento/slides and use at appropriate places.

Know the limits of your library, I find OTS libraries to be quite static, Shreddage is better, but if you know what the library is capable of, you can construct convincing patterns by not trying to go too far away from the constraints of the library.

Experiment with amp/cab and find the tone you are after. I find Toontrack Ezmix's signature amp packs to be quite good (for heavier tones). For crunch tones, I tried setting up the popular SM57/Royer SM21 micing setup using Redwire cab impulses, and it worked beautifully (was using a 5150 emulation amp from Nick Crow Lab). Reference of the setup:

As for OPs question, it sounds like lack of gain is the problem. Also, don't be afraid to use eq to remove the sounds you don't like (put a compressor afterwards)