Can't get Cubase working

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Infidel, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Infidel

Infidel Producer

A week ago I installed Cubase 8.5 and everytime I start it up It will freeze while loading or while setting up the session. I have yet to record anything. Is anybody else having this problem?
    I suspect it is the shitty protection scheme.

3. dlearyus

dlearyus Noisemaker

works fine here on w7-64 pro
    you probably have a plugin it doesn't like
    syncrosoft is far less intrusive than iCok
    1: update Elicenser Control Center
    2: try moving your vst directory(s)
    3: trash cubase preferences
    4: start cubase in safe mode
    if none of these works contact steinberg support

quote:
    also look in Sternberg /Cubase 8.5/components and remove all video exe and .dll should be 4 files I had issues as well

(this only applies to OSX afaik)

best of luck

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

also look in Sternberg /Cubase 8.5/components and remove all video exe and .dll should be 4 files I had issues as well

But like Diearyus said sounds like a plug in Cubase docent like.

what OS are you running? i know in windows 10 i had an issue with 32bit plus ins im now back on 8.1 and am rock solid again-

Also check out the Sternberg Forum, you will get an answer there way before Sternberg gets back to you

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/

Also if you updated from a previous version of Cubase its better to install the full version of 8.5 then update from version x.x.x to 8.5

5. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

one more thing... is this when you start cubase or when you try to load a project?

6. Infidel

Infidel Producer

This is when cubase 64bit is loading on Win 7 Pro. Or when I try to choose a plugin (not all EFX or VSTi's show up either like Eventide legit).
    It does this on two different interfaces. Spectrasonics web site says to select Devices/Plug-In Information and make sure that ASIO Guard is unchecked under the VST plugin tab. I can't even see that tab.

7. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Also, I have to restart or shutdown every time it crashes. Cannot do anything in eLicenser also except exit.
    This last time Cubase wouldn't even load enough to be a running program in task manager.

8. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

So Cubase Starts but you cant load a project ? Cubase 8 .5 deletes your preference files so you have to goto the "DEVICES" Tab on the tool bar at the top of the window and then select "Plug In Manager" in that pop up in the bottom window VST 2 plug in settings add all the paths to all your plug in and instrument folders or where ever you install DLL or VST3 plug ins... example press the + menu then navigate to C:program file > common files > VST3 and click "OK" then add the next ... it will say in a smaller window how many interments and fx were added after each addition

9. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

download the full version of 8.5 from the web site also goto licenser website and get the latest drivers for your system for e licence
    and then install the full version 8.5 also before installing 8 .5 move all your plug in folders to the desktop

10. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Tried to do that but the fuckin thing crashed again

11. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

go here http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html
    and install latest version

go here here
    http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=12494&L=1

for instructions on how to download the full version of Cubase 8.5

1. move ALL your VSTI & effects VST3 and .dll to desktop
    2 remove USB dongle.... install latest drivers replace USB dongle (IN to a computer USB port not a HUB
    3. Install Cubase 8,5 (reinstall things if it says "already installed" in the install GUI) reboot test that Cubase works
    4. move your Dll &VST3 to selected folders from where you got them... goto Plug in Manager as described above .. it is best that you move then back one at a time though. but i don't think vast is your problem. but before doing this make sure cubase is working win new instal situation don't forget to remove the video app and dll as described before directly before running Cubase for the first time. there is a know issue with them and more then a few people have done this as work around.

12. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Cubase 8.5 Pro is a bitch and has to be carefully penetrated.
    It works for me, but IMO it is far away from stable for everyone. Crashes on my 6/12 core several times.
    By the way, the tab for Asio Guard for plugins seems canceled in v. 8.5.

13. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Yea it took me a while to get it sorted as we'll but right now its good.. had to downgrade from windows 10 and a fresh install to do it but i gt there. Asio Guard is still where it always has been in Cubase under Devices(tool bar tab)> device setting (bottom of the drop down menu)> VST AUDIO Settings ( in the left side of the window second to last on the bottom) has ASIO GUARD on/Off and selections of low/Medium/High

14. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

"Yea it took me a while to get it sorted as we'll but right now its good.. had to downgrade from windows 10 and a fresh install to do it but i gt there. Asio Guard is still where it always has been in Cubase under Devices(tool bar tab)> device setting (bottom of the drop down menu)> VST AUDIO Settings ( in the left side of the window second to last on the bottom) has ASIO GUARD on/Off and selections of low/Medium/High"

Yes, but this is not the setting we mean. In earlier versions there was an option under plugin informations to exclude individual VST's from Asio Guard. For example, this was recommended for samplers like Kontakt. It seems they have implemented a fall back under the hood, or even canceled it without proper replacement.

What's really annoying for me is, after a program start I have to wait minutes until the CPU meter settles down and Cubase is ready to go. It does this even with an empty project.

By the way, hey Infidel try to observe the Cubase CPU meter and windows task manager while starting.
    Sometimes at start, win task manager will list Cubase as not responding (temporary), and the CPU meter is flickering in high ranges.

Looks like a crash/freezing, but after a while it goes away and Cubase is listed as running and ready to go (on my system).

Also uncool... Cubase 8 fires thousands of tcp requests against my firewall with every start, if it detects a network/internet.

15. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Never had a problem with Cubase. Legit or otherwise. When's the last time you reinstalled your OS?

16. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

If you're having Cubase boot problems, it's a plugin.......normally, you can see which plug has crashed on the boot screen when it freezes

17. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

18. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

There seems to be a lot of people with the same problems.Seems like Cubase gets confused when multiple cpu threads are involved example;2x6 cores.
    A faster cpu with less cores seems to be more stable and lighter,Asio responds better.
    It probably needs to be fixed in the next update.

19. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

@Deleryus No its windows as well been there done that

@Jasmine
    its not in Cubase 8 either least not on my System Windows 8.1 Cubase 8.0.30

@popeye - i was lead to believe that cubase loads but projects or trying to insert effect/Insturments crashes Cubase , its still unclear to me actually but yes i agree as i stated before if its the Program loading problem its probably a plug in.

@Von_Steyr - Im on AMD 1 x 8 CPU is dead solid, you can see ASIO Guard working though

@Jasmine
    That is not good, the less your LAN or wifi has to work the better but that could be plug in calling home as well, you can edit your host file to loop back these tcp calls (127.0.0.1) so LAN or wifi never see it

My music comp has the onboard LAN active but is not connected to the internet just to my home network and the impact is negligible.
    if your CPU is jumping all over the place it could be something with the computer too or your bios set up tuning off things you don't need in your bios can help as well .. on board audio can cause issues. updating your audio interface drivers too might help as well.

20. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Also make sure all cores are on all the time check your power setting that everything is set to performance and there is no core parking going on. and uncheck Steinberg Power Scheme if its on. Also if you haven't already google "optimise windows for DAW" RME has a good list of suggestions can look there too

21. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

OK to activate and deactivate Asio guard functionality in a plug in In Plug in manager select the plug in you want to deactivate ASIO Guard. in the Bottom left of the window you will see an "I" for information click on this to show plug in and turn asio guard functionality off or on :wink:

Also Steinberg recommends any streaming VSTi or
    multi-timbral ( so kontakt, Omnisphere etc) Asio guard be deactivated