Can't delete a Plugin! Help my Protools keeps crashing!

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Djrtb909, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Djrtb909

Djrtb909 Newbie

i downloaded Oxford Limiter (Sony) and now i can't get rid of it! i went to all the folders it could be for protools but it crashes my Protools 10.3.10 running on Yosimite and this comes up : i'm trying to find
    com.sony.PT7.oxfordLimiter but everywhere everything i type search comes up blank i've evan done a clean reinstall and it still comes back , i would just use PT 11 but someone gave me a project in PT 10 help! Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 9.39.33 AM.png

3. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

stupid but have you tried searching everything in finder?

how about JUST searching oxford?

4. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

Try to use AppZapper Or MacMagna Uninstaller and search for the plugin and if you find what left of it , uninstall it Completely

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Go to your applications folder>>>>Avid folder>>>>>Pro tools folder. There you will find DPM Plug-ins forder and AAX Plug-ins folder. Check both folders for the specific plugin and delete it.
    I hope this will solve your problem
    good luck

Edit:
    That doesn't look like the name of the plugin. it could be a file somewhere in your preferences folder under HD>library> Preferences. Very positive it's not the plugin that's causing the crash.
    Check both preferences folders under HD library and under user also.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  6. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I haven't used pro tools in a long time, but that strikes me as wrong. I believe AAX are in program files\common files\Avid\DAE? And then RTAS/TDM are in program files (x86)\common files\digidesign\plugins

...or something like that. It's been a while.

7. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

He stated he's working on a Mac and that's what I was referring to. You are talking about win.:)

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

The AAX path is: /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

Just to be safe that you removed all the oxfordLimiter related stuff, run this in Terminal

sudo cd / && sudo find * | grep oxfordLimiter

This will display all the folder and files containing "oxfordLimiter" - delete them too. Depending on your computer specs it may take a while for the find command to finish.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I sure am. Sorry about that :)

10. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

No worries my friend. We all get mixed up sometimes:mates:

11. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    If you can't delete the plugin from the plugins folder, use permissions reset.

12. mapjay

mapjay Member

it's prob because the plugin isn't named "oxford", it's prob named starting with "NAX..." the sonnox plugins are named that way. look in your AAX and RTAS plugin folders, and look under 'N'. i think oxford limiter is "NAXLIM5..." for AAX version, using latest libstd+++ patch, version.

if you are using older versions of sonnox that are RTAS, AU and VST, in your RTAS plugins folder you should see a Sonnox folder, with the plugins in it. delete that folder. good luck

13. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

you know,
    what i usually do, when an app doesn't want to uninstall, or there are some files missing, etc, whether it is related to audio or not,
    i simply RE-INSTALL the app (normally, maybe there even are some entries on the registry(windows, in my case), and the app will retrieve and display the install folder previously used), and all the files and folders will be at the right place, again.
    then, it is easier to perform an uninstall, at least, all the files are there.
    hope it helps.

after a fresh install of win8, i now install all the apps in a folder called "tools", in x64 or x86, and all the audio apps go to program files/vst-apps. it's easier to find where the apps are installed. though, i find it soo stupid, that most apps use the documents folder as the app folder, settings, etc. in just a few months, the documents folder has dozens and dozens of folders. shouldn't the "documents* folder be used to.. well... save our documents..

14. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

I've got an old version installed in my AU (components) folder.
    It's labeled as: NAU_OxfordLimiter
    You'll find the RTAS in following location:
    Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Plug-ins
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………

15. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

AppleDelete if you drag any of the Associated file onto it ! it usually finds all related files and deletes them
    for stubborn ones i normally rename then sorry make alias/ copy first rename it,then delete it, then go and delete the copy one , easily
    this works good on PC with Spyware files or Viruses that say you do not have permission or the file is in use...

Hey Cook you still out in the Cost of Rico Sailing?