Can't change ASIO buffer size; Ableton stutters, cracks & pops

Discussion in 'Live' started by PWRZ, Feb 2, 2022.

1. PWRZ

PWRZ Newbie

Hello - weird problem I'm having with Ableton. I'm trying to increase the buffer rate to reduce latency on a heavy project, but even though I'm adjusting to a higher buffer rate, Ableton starts completely stuttering and glitching out. It almost feels like this particular project is stuck in this buffer rate. Any suggestions?

Edit: I've reinstalled drivers for my interface and deleted preferences.cfg from the Ableton folder, still no luck.

Interace: Behringer U-Phoria UMC404
    Windows 10
    Ableton Live 11

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  3. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

I don't use the same interface so this may not apply to your situation but - what happens when you go to Ableton Preferences > Audio > Hardware setup? Usually the interface's (UMC) Control Panel should pop up and there you should change the ASIO Buffer Size.

You can change Sample rate in Ableton, not the Buffer size though. Ableton only opens the interface's CP.

4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Not knowing the specs for your system other than OS & interface leaves a lot of guessing to be had.

Ableton:

Sweetwater:

5. PWRZ

PWRZ Newbie

UPDATE: It was actually a 3rd party VST causing the problem - I suspected as such since the problem seemed to only plague this particular project file. The plugin in question was Standard Clip by Sir Audio - with oversampling x32 selected, which most likely caused the problem due to heavy CPU load. Just strange how it only got bad when the buffer size was increased. Probably some math in the algorithm that can explain that.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List