Can you tell the difference between Human and AI composers?

Discussion in 'Music' started by GabsIT, Jul 12, 2021.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

:dunno:
    Any sentence that starts with "Art is NOT about..." has probably already shot itself in the foot.
    Art embraces all - including whatever humans can creatively express with or about Artificial Intelligence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

What if we are artificial intelligence?

4. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I'm just playing with you, everybody knows we were created in God's image (who is also a robot).

5. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

I agree, obviously it's the end result, not the process, and it depends of so many things, if Mr David used few Bach audio/midi files to train his algorithms or if their were plain wrong, obviously everything will sound as the inputs, the more varied and abundant the data the higher the entropy, also the data could significant change the output, as adding Avant-garde or any other Experimental kind of music where patterns are rare will end up sounding rare (TensorFlow)

Just as a curiosity I was looking for the harmonics in violin on internet then I found these Chinese guys making funny and interesting observations and before seeing this about AI in classic music I saw a video about John Williams that is really about plagiarism, I didn't know and it seems no body cares

6. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

I recommend you to check this first
    https://magenta.tensorflow.org/blog

The technology used in the first video of the Chinese guys is from them https://www.aiva.ai/ free try but with copy rights to them
    acreenshot.18.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  7. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Nothing that Japan couldn't fix, damn engineers with so much free time lol

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hahahaha ...!
    I'm just wondering how long our steel reserves or iron ore reserves are on this earth?

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Yes exactly.
    Without proper control terrible disasters may occur.
    My wife's AutoVibrator just took me from behind.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Great! I can finally say I`ve created something for just $33 a month - no musical knowledge required!
    I wonder if it scores movies too...

A little fun won`t hurt

Know your doses, it`s elementary...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  11. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

It was not the same about electric guitars, amps, effects and synthesizers at the beginning? I remember people getting mad at headphones, any kind of electric instrument, digital recording, or with the rise of DJing and EDM
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dj+are+not+real+musicians&hl=en
    "...technicians making noise, They're Not Artists Because Nobody Can Play The Guitar"

SNL parody of Guetta

At the end what it matters is the final result, in AI assisted composition you still need to do arrangement, mastering (or any sort of task, i don't know really) but probably the most odd is selecting good things between AI garbage that requires good understanding of music and good hearing.

Well AI in this way can be just like tutoring a young musician that is also helping you with the composition, in deed could be easy to teach an AI music composition using in personal tastes as pressing like or dislike buttons after musical phrases, actually this is a great idea I will check if is implemented.

• List
  12. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Well... these days a lot of humans intelligence is artificial...

• List
  13. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

I mostly agree with you but "plagiarism" is a wrong word. Any composer is a "plugiarist" in this sense of the word inasmuch as he/she relies on tradition. Being a composer is always being a "plagiarist" because there were composers before us and there is nothing original in being a composer. Music is always borrowed as we as musicians do what has been done before us. We imitate (more or less), it's unavoidable.

I'd say it's just intertextuality.

But yes, the difference between forms of adoptions and borrowing exists and is very important. Borrowing a musical form, a harmonic progression, a part of the melody or a whole melody aren't the same things. And we can borrow roughly. The very idea of creativity as rearranging predefined "chinks" or applying rules is completely wrong (despite the fact that many artists think this way).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

AI doesn't exist.

AI is intelligence of their creators (programmers) and the authors of works that have been "fed" to a particular AI system.

AI doesn't create music. It's human beings who created an AI system create music by this system.

AI is just an instrument in their hands.

15. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

AI is just a more sofisticated form of the human intelligence. A new level of the human intelligence.

16. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Until the day in the near future when they (or it) won't need a human to do any of those things.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks - you got it right to the point.

All marketing, how do you sell products that nobody needs and how do you create new business areas for companies with returns and profit opportunities. Example PC and LED ... LEDs are now installed everywhere. It shines in every children's toy. The kids love it and the parents buy it. At some point every child has a robot with built-in phone and camera surveillance included.

18. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

If your music can be replicated by some algorithm (or AI as it's marketed now), maybe it sucks and it's soulless in the first place. Beware of silicon valley propaganda, of course they'll tell you great promises, they got stuff to sell, did you forget it?