Can you recommend sample packs to get drums and synths sounds like these?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Isach96, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

Can you recommend great sample packs to get drums and synths that sound like these tracks?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    Also, what genre is this?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's house music. and it has many of the progressive, trance synth elements (and crescendo drum rolls, washouts, up/down risers, lifters) that you would expect with it being tiesto. samples... what size hard drive are you going to fill with them? It might be more constructive to chase the plugins themselves. The vocals are obviously studio made creations. The rest shouldn't be that hard. Roland Cloud 808 or even Falcon2. You could do most in Kick2 but wouldn't need to. The Washouts are Dada Life Endless Smile, or the combination of plugins to get this result. :)

it's in the fx/automation details and not in the samples. that's where all the work is no matter your starting sounds, because it's actually not that complex a song (minus vocal). hth.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  4. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

I have 2tb SSD :rofl:I know how to work on these sounds however the primary sample source I'm using isn't correct so I can get a good result. And I'm one of them who loves to go crazy with modifications and EQs @clone

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I know, but often users expect to just drop things in and have them be perfect copies, ala The God Particle. I really doubt he is using any samples at all for his productions. And by "sample" I do mean "audio files someone could come at me with their hand out for money later".

So why not go right at the source :) I think the progressive trance style sounds could easily be done with virus, but they are not edgy enough where it would need be. Maybe even a Roland JP or Spire,etc type something? The Mids are nice/warm, so turn on the Moog. Anyway I hope you get my point. I'd be hoping for tips to get samples I have to sound like these, not search terms to find more of them. You still have to make them fit.

Yeah the synth event at about 3minutes is the cotton candy (melody and synth patch) you would not likely hear in house music. It's definitely progressive/trance influence, as is the bpm.

Did you check the Tiesto sound banks for Virus TI in the DSP56300 emulator?

6. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

I've never heard of this "Tiesto sound banks for Virus TI in the DSP56300 emulator" what's that?

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com Is the website for the Emulator plugin. Or you can get it on Sister Site with ROM binary files included.

Tiesto did at least two Soundbanks of presets for the Access Virus TI. https://www.virus.info. So it is 254 Patches made by him to use in the synth. Some are quite good. They are just called DJ Tiesto Soundsets Volume 1 and 2. Maybe he did others also.

8. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

i don't like tiesto new sound
    lethal industry and adiago for strings were fat tracks

9. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

I'm downloading the emulator and the soundbanks, but I can't find a Virus Ti ROM to get the emulation working

10. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

Yup but time goes and so does everything

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

They are not using a TI Rom. They are using the A/B/C roms, iirc. Google this one: virus_c_650x352.bin

The emulator was not really made to be a TI emulator, but the older Virus models. They added TI patch import functionality to it so the TI patches can be utilized in the Emulator. In general, the patches work great; but some just give undesirable results (usually just no sound anyway). So you just load another and keep going.

12. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

I managed to find ROM B & C, however, the instructions say to use one ROM at a time, How do I decide which one to use? Is it based on a preset type thing or soundbank requirements? btw thanks for your time man!

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

well, to be brief more than accurate; the rom is basically an image of all the code which a digital synthesizer runs to make everything work.
    there are definitely "low level" differences in the ROM files, because they are what were created by Access when they updated the Virus models. But also after they were shipping them, so some images would have been released by firmware upgrades, etc.

The individual roms may have slightly different presets, and the users have figured out all the details which ones run better; or even just which ones they personally prefer. You'll have to look into the details. But when you hear this plugin, you'll invest the time on it for certain. :)

You just need one file at a time in the same folder as your plugin, afaik. Or you can rename, or other tricks to run multiple different roms. there already are some long threads to read.

14. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

Hi, thanks! The synth works when I play the midi notes, but when I playback the written section, the sound works only in multi-mode, I'm using Logic Pro on mac os Mojave

15. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

Best Answer
    You might also want to try (wavetable) synths like Serum and Vital. Much used in this trance-house genre, as i call it. And of course some 909 drums, like the D16 Drumazon drumcomputer, or Samples from Mars 909 pack, or the Goldbaby Tape808 & Tape909 pack.

In the top left corner you see the 'logo':

OSIRUS
    open source project

Just below it there are two grey buttons:
    SINGLE MULTI

Myabe pressing SINGLE will solve that.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

I reset my midi setting in logic and midi playback works now. Thanks for the help guys @Benno de Bruin @clone I'll check out the mentioned packs too

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  17. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Vengeance packs for every kind of drums in electronic music

18. Isach96

Isach96 Newbie

I've a couple but which one do you think suits this track?

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

I wish XLN XO was less tedious, or I might have bought it for almost this purpose alone. You could chop a sample from a song, and use it to track down the bad guys. Like facial recognition, but for sample comparison against your sample library. Then look at the "near" or approximately similar files.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List