Can you imitate the 01/W? (KORG M1 KLC Edition)

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by MokuseiFolf13, Jun 19, 2023.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

(Reworked question)

Is there a list of some kind that I can make a comparison as to what samples are contained in the 01/W, be it PCM samples/timbre lists (à la Roland rompler manual waveform list sections), to that of the KLC M1's collection of PCM sounds? I cannot seem to find such a thing, so any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. grounder

grounder Kapellmeister

CORRECTION: Just reread your post and probably not for what you intend.

4. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I'm afraid I don't know how this helps. I'm simply asking a question on whether it's possible, even if it isn't to perfect configuration, and if there's a documented list of waveforms to compare the M1 KLC Edition and the actual 01/W with. I cannot seem to find anything beyond factory voice lists for the 01/W, as they seem to be presets rather than a concise list on what samples they call for to make a more viable comparison.

5. grounder

grounder Kapellmeister

I originally posted a link to Nils‘ K1v – Kawai K1 Emulation Plugin. He has write ups about he did extractions-dumps-conversions for Kawai and thought the techniques may help with Korg. Reread your post. It didn't look like what you were actually attempting to accomplish. Added CORRECTION and accidently deleted the original post. Sorry for causing the confusion.

6. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Why are you trying to make your life more complicated if you have already a true reproduction of from Korg they use the same PCM card library?

7. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

It's alright, it's just I do not have a physical 01/W on me in order to dump such samples, I am in the process however on searching for a sample ROM dump of the 01/W but so far to no avail. update: can't find anything relating to it besides OS rom dumps. This is looking to be a rather fruitless endeavour.

8. stopped

stopped Producer

9. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

That's the thing, I am aware that they share the same sourced samples and what not, I'm simply wanting to know with the resources given if there's a comprehensive list of the samples contained on the 01/W that I can compare to the ones the softsynth M1 has. Almost akin to what Roland offers with their manuals where it shows the waveforms/samples thats built in, that way I was able to produce JD-990-type sounds with the XV-5080 VST without needing to get the real thing.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Do you already have the one for Kontakt: W-10 KONTAKT Library

On page 217 of this document:
    http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/01WFD_01W_OM_634739851227040000.pdf

Wave Shaping List and Drums. Is this what you are hoping to compare to m1? The piano is supposedly more "Classical" sounding on the 01/wFD; but that M1 Piano and also the Organ patch are the ones in all the classic house tracks.

11. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

12. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I am aware of it, tried it but wasn't my thing, although I did check out Amazounds 01X kontakt library which seems to include sampled instruments of the factory presets rather than a best-of library, only just not the RAW samples. I appreciate the help

13. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I'll check it out, thank you. In the case of PCM samples, as for the T1 and ROM cards that's included in the M1 soft synth, were those released concurrently with the lifespan of the 01/W? That way I can deduce that some or more PCM samples are bundled with the soft synth itself.

14. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

15. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

No, the 01/W was a later model than the T-Series. They will likely have more, and newer, samples.

16. Cosmos2019

Cosmos2019 Noisemaker

M1, T series, 01W, Wavestation, Trinity and Triton share some PCM samples. Even some of them include the same 16 sampled waveforms of the glorious DW8000..Anyway, each model has its personality. KORG has vst versions of the Wavestation (and Wavestate), the M1 and the Triton Extreme with which you can have a lot of fun

17. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Every Korg synth needs DW8000 waveforms (DWGS) even Microkorg has them :)

18. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Good morning everyone. I've finally found a well established resource as to what individual sounds the 01/W contains. Had I known that I should've referred to the on-board PCM samples on the synth as "multi-sounds", this conversation would've ended quicker. My apologies!

Though, I hope said resource comes to great use!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024