Can We All Just Update To WinRAR 5 Already?!?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Catalyst, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]

I don't get why there's still people at this point that can't open rar5 files because they're using an outdated WinRAR version. It came out September of 2013, we even have the latest version on site and it's currently in the Weekly Top. People can't be this helpless, I just don't understand. Please can we all just update already so I don't have to spend time dealing with a problem that doesn't need to exist. :beg:

Mac users: use Keka. :beg:

[​IMG]

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

At those that could still face some troubles to open some '.rar' Archives, an alternative could be to use '7-Zip'. It's FREE, it can also handle '.rar' Archives, as well as many other Formats... :thumbsup:

Supported Formats :

Packing / Unpacking : 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
    Unpacking ONLY : ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR and Z.

'7-Zip' Official Homepage

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I believe It is the packers fault they have to uncheck an option in winrar otherwise it get packed with the new winrar 5 compressor method i could be wrong though

But your right how difficult is it to install the new version?

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Studio 555
    7-Zip can't extract the new version of the rar formar (rar5). That's one of the many reasons why I dislike it.

Guitarmaniac64
    Some people that share select Rar5 instead of rar when making their archives and that's fine since it's the evolution of the rar format, no different than creating 7-Zip files. I mean it came out almost a year and a half ago at this point. Rar5 can be a better choice sometimes and even though it's generally not used as much it can be and we should be ready for that. It is the packer that makes it that way but if everyone updated it wouldn't matter.

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

We shouldn't have used WinRar in the first place. Forcing people into buying/pirating proprietary software to unpack warez/free releases seems just wrong. G-zip and B-zip2 are both open-source standards and don't suffer from incompatibility problems, and are also cross-platform.

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

It's a share, who cares what format it was packed in? The way I look at it is the person was nice enough to share so they used whatever format they normally use and in this case it's the evolution of the rar format which everyone and their dog should know how to extract at this point. It's not like it's some strange thing nobody has ever heard of. And I like WinRAR, I could care less if it's proprietary. Every single alternative I've tried, I've hated. Everyone seems to have this open source good, proprietary bad logic. Finally using a warez program to open other warezed programs seems to make sense to me. Scene rules eschew the use of rar5 in favor of rar anyway so it doesn't matter that much.

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

No, No Mr Cattalyst ! a lot of times could be the packers fault ! Or the download was interrupted would also creat bad rar files nothing to do with using the latest winrar at all
    Also Mac users using Keka, Will sometimes get errors if it was packed using Winrar on windows side, So there are several reasons

10. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I just said it was the packers that made it rar5 in my comment before my last one. Also I have never seen a person use the latest version of Keka and not be able to unpack a rar5 file. Perhaps they weren't using the latest version of that software. It just seems common sense to me to keep your software up to date. :dunno:

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

RAR5 has better compression and better error resilience than 4. One main benefit of RAR4&5 is built-in recovery record so that if a RAR gets corrupted & it has a RR, it can be repaired with itself and nothing else. 7Z Doesn't have a bulit in RR, so you need a separate, say, PAR2 for error recovery.

If people use 7z, that's fine too.

I respect peoples decision if they choose not to use RAR5 - I don't have anything which can open RAR5 myself.

12. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

7zip, if I remember well, also had a better compressing ratio compared to WinRar. I will update when I got some free time. :dunno:

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

To cut the story short. A mentally challenged people should be able to do this fast and it *costs nothing*. You don't even have to change anything in your WinRAR 4.20. I use 4.20, too, because File Roller archive shell in Linux that I use is not compatible with RAR5 yet. I should update it. :snuffy:

This goes for both Linux and Windows systems. I don't have OS-X currently available, so I cannot be precise in description for it, but the Linux method should work for OS-X, too. You just have to use different folder to extract the "unrar" to. I honestly can't remember where it goes. :) [damn, could be /usr/bin]

1. download WinRAR or RAR for Linux, or OS-X.
    2. extract it into a folder
    3. find file called "unrar" on Linux or "unrar.exe" on Windows. Copy that file into /usr/sbin by using command:

sudo cp [folder where you extracted RAR archive]/unrar /usr/sbin/unrar2

on Windows run cmd and write this: copy [folder where you extracted RAR archive]\unrar.exe c:\Windows\unrar2.exe

[we are renaming the file unrar to unrar2 in the process, if you didn't notice] *yes*

4. copy all the RAR5 files you cannot unRAR into a folder of your choice. Now "cd" to that folder [same in Windows] and command-line run:

unrar2 x *.rar

All your RAR5 archives will be extracted and you can do with them whatever you want now. :bleh:

Cheers :mates: !

p.s. On Linux, sometimes unrar cannot extract RAR5 archives with long names when you command "unrar2 x *.rar". It is a bug. In that case, rename the archive to one word and use "unrar2 x [archive name].rar" to extract. I haven't tried this on Windows, sorry, but Windows version might have the same bug.

14. Slider

Slider Producer

Couldn't agree more, it does seem a little silly to argue semantics over proprietary vs open source considering what we do. I love RAR, but still use v3.51 because every upgrade I've ever tried since then fu%&ed up my computer, maybe it's my POS XP box, don't know!! Regardless, I've never downloaded anything I haven't figured out resources to open it. It's really the sharer's choice...we're all big people...you want it deal with it!

15. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

junh1024
    People can use whatever they want, my problem begins with when they start demanding that the poster use what they use. If someone is committed to not using WinRAR then should stay away from RAR5 posts. And I've noticed that a lot of the complaints of not being able to open an archive come from users of WinRAR so it makes even less sense to me. That's why I made this post.

Slider
    My argument doesn't center around proprietary vs. open source, it was just a side note that it's not inherently better simply because it's open source. There'e plenty of shitty open source software. The argument that Andrew made of it not making sense to use a warez program to open other warezed programs makes no sense to me because there is no standard format for shares. To open an archive made in a proprietary format you need to use proprietary software, the argument is irrelevant. Beyond that scene rules dictate the use of rar so all those shares can be opened by anyone. If you want to open a non-scene share made in RAR5 you need to use the latest version of WinRAR (5), it's common sense.

16. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

:wink:

So you guys enjoy the discussion? I understand it as a request ... The Vice-Admin wishes to keep the good things coming and would be pleased if we wouldn`t waste precious time with ... let`s call it "very" basic tasks.
    Am I missing something?

:mates:

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It is such a minor problem that I cannot understand the whole discussion about it. :(

Also, some people probably didn't know that there is an unrar program within the RAR 5 download they can use for free. It's really simple to use even though it's a command line/console program. You just have to put it in the executable path of your OS or in the folder with RAR5 archives and extract with "unrar x [name of archive].rar" command. Simple.

It really would be about time to upgrade to RAR 5 because it has some pretty good enhancements, although it still isn't completely bug-free as I noted in my previous post.

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

It is such a small problem but multiply it out by how many members still have it and it becomes a lot of repeating the same thing day in and day out, over and over and over and over.

19. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

It's the bloody use of obscure passwords that irks me.
    - what's with that anyway?

20. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

I appreciate the talk, though I doubt that ppl having trouble unpacking their goodies will read it.
    Thank you SineWave for your expertise, simply invaluable to those who don`t put convenience over quality ...
    Love that sig.

21. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

My previous comment was rather "sigh" at software market today. Especially if you're all linux based and your gov decide to send you important notice in DOCX. That's a precious situation :rofl:
    About WinRar, I'd suggest update to major version when it becomes available. Chance that devs introduce unwanted feature is quite low in this case. *yes*