Can this be achieved in other DAW/Plugin?

Discussion in 'Education' started by junt, Jan 12, 2016.

1. junt

junt Member

3. I think you can do this on any DAW with a decent piano-roll

4. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

Every DAW with MIDI capabilities. (workflow might not be the same, but result def. will) :yes:

5. junt

junt Member

care to give an example? what DAW? tools? im not sure diagonal slicing is available on other DAW? i use s1 btw

6. Cubase, Piano Roll and Trim Function (yes, it goes diagonal). Pretty easy. :like:

7. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Straight slice over a chord then Quantize & Q-Flam for offset. Works to a certain extent (LPX) vs diagonal slicing (FL).

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Well, here's one that cannot do this:
    Ableton Live.
    Hooray!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. junt

junt Member

thanks man.

anyone got an idea how to do this in s1?

10. sexyman

sexyman Ultrasonic

can pro tools do this?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  11. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

12. rosko

rosko Ultrasonic

You can just do it with a keyboard & a scale filter & will sound better.

13. junt

junt Member

sorry but wtf is a scale filter? :dunno::rofl: what i really just need with that slice tool is the "happy accidents" he's talking bout lol and fast workflow, experimentation i guess.

14. megablox

megablox Ultrasonic

who went ahead and posted this exact same thing on the pro tools forum? duc.avid

15. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

Best Answer
    How about this? In your studio one piano roll lock it to a scale, draw in some notes but hold down alt when you're doing it and you can make a diagonal line in tune with the rest of your track.

BTW Sugarbytes makes some cool stuff for happy accidents and fun experimentation.

http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/index.php?lang=en
    http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Consequence/index.php?lang=en

https://www.xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

Xfer Cthulhu is nice too.

and another thing you could try is to lock studio one to a scale, draw in huge lines on notes in the scale , use "Split at grid" to slice it into smaller blocks, and then take the eraser tool and start erasing random things

.. and another thing you can dry if you have melodyne installed is to take some midi from your synths, bounce it to audio, put it in Melodyne, and then try experimenting with different exotic scales included in Melodyne by "Retuning". I wish you could do this in Midi but unfortunately Studio one doesn't have a huge assortment of scales :thumbsdown:

but you can sort of experiment by putting in some midi (maybe download some progressions?) and then locking the scale to something different like Phyrgian and then select all the midi, drag them around so they lock into the scale and it will change (but sometimes it needs tweaked) and of course arpeggiate them because they might sound horrible as chords :wink:

Or google for some exotic and interesting scales and put all of them in as long notes in your piano roll, arpeggiate them with "Random" notes and record a long wav file of it, listen through it until something catches your attention and cut it out to save it for using or tweaking..

OR use Studio Ones awesome feature "Render Instrument Track" which renders your weird arpeggio (if you use S1's arpeggiator, not the synth) to midi

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Bongopickle

Bongopickle Noisemaker

Wow, that sounded like crap. Based on his bold statements in the introduction I was expecting something that actually sounded musical. The piano players of the world can sleep soundly tonight.

17. junt

junt Member

wtf man ur an angel should b more people like u in this forum ur such a winner thank you so much

18. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

REAPER another one.
    That sad cos I thought it almighty. But all methods @audiowolf mentioned for S1 works here to.

19. foster911

foster911 Guest

Nothing more amazing than never ending DAWs' war. FL Studio always has flawless victory. Every day its new capabilities come out.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  20. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Let's see if REAPER can do this WITHOUT PAID VSTs:

Block copy & paste notes? YES

Vertical slicing of selected notes under CTI? YES

Diagonal slicing? (He's just arping some chords basically so:)

You can install this FREE http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=95841 JSFX to arpregiate some chords (apply FX to clip), the arp can duplicate notes over several octaves, and you don't need to trim the notes to one length afterwards like the FL YT. Then render the clip to MIDI, and then you have the notes & arp nicely visible.

So, SORTA [the things he did in this YT].

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  21. junt

junt Member

i find it hard for mixing and automating stuffs maybe its just that thing when u first start learning a DAW maybe just need some time kinda weird