Can someone review my Track and give me feedback please

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by midi-man, Sep 4, 2015.

1. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Can you people please review this track and tell me if it is mastered good or where I went wrong please.

I greatly appreciate the feedback.

• Love it! Love it! x 12
    • Like Like x 7
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. spencer26

spencer26 Platinum Record

Hi
    The mastering is not the problem. You have to many frequencies of instruments overlaying each other and taking the clarity out of the mix. This you cannot fix with mastering. Layering sounds is the way. If you would like to send me the stems with no effects I could do a mix for you and show you what I mean. I love the song.
    Spencer (old mix engineer)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for the compliment on the song.
    As far as sending you the stems I will speak to My03 since he wrote the underlying track and I just added the guitars to it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

:goodpost:WOW!! - the 80ies back - Love it!
    Reminds me the Grandmaster Flash.
    What i remark slightly negative is a hole in the middle and some lack of punch, clarity.
    I'd make the mix more brilliant, crispy & with more punch. But the song is great!
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Thanks for the information and the compliment.

7. Belarri

Belarri Member

don't know if ill put madonna or michael jackson voice on this....the guit solo is awesome xD¡
    reminds me street fighters 3d on ps1 soundtrack....
    :thumbsup:

8. Krypton85

Krypton85 Ultrasonic

Wow! What a nice track!! I instantly loved it after the drums kicked in. I too think the mixing is a bit off in terms of giving each instrument its own frequency range to operate. The drums could be a little more punchier because they tend to fall to the background sometimes.
    The audio quality is kind of low (can we blame soundcloud for this or is it encoded with low bitrate?).
    The song is quiet catchy and I like it very much (as I said before!) :D

9. statik

statik Audiosexual

very nice track, really 80's, the first thing i noticed that was 'wrong' were the midtones of the gitar, to me it sounds like it has to much mid and not enough high freqs. the intro reminded me alot of senser for some reason, after the break it's just full on 80's, well done!

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I was trying to shoot for a more mellow tone on the guitar More ( Mid's as you say ) Also stratocasters are full of mid range on the other pick up's other than the bridge. .. Thanks for the compliment on my guitar playing. I guess all the years practicing finally paid off. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

First thanks for the compliment. The bit rate is 192 16 bit. I mixed it on my home studio with my Tannoy PBM 6.5. I also listen on my Sony MDR-v6 head phones. Might I ask what where you listing to it on? Maybe I am using too good of equipment here and not mixing for cheaper gear. This is not to slam you just for a note on mixing for the average customer..

12. Krypton85

Krypton85 Ultrasonic

No worries. I was listening to it at my homestudio with pretty good and linear acoustics. I heard some artifacts at the high frequencies and some rumble at the low ones (that might not be an issue of the 192 bit rate). Just to let you know.

13. ca5plays

ca5plays Member

dude its your track you cant go wrong have you heard the shit they call music that is out lately do what ever who cares anymore just press the save button and join the club

14. spencer26

Yes carving out the mix will allow more space for you to bring the drums up. Also the mids will be more controllable. It takes a lot of experience to know how to do this but a good start is always filter out the frequencies at the bottom end of each instrument that are not required. Things on their own may sound thin but put them together and they dont anymore. Also try to use different reverbs and put things in their own space. I mix through my mastering chain from the beginning so I know what I am getting. Quite a lot of experienced engineers do this.

Your monitoring is incredibly important. If that is wrong you dont have a hope. Put a frequency sweep through your monitors and if you hear peaks and troughs in the sound you have to fix this. Pad your walls with some acoustic treatment so as you dont get reflections. This is a good start. You can also put a good eq at the end of your mix that you use to control the problems. Then switch it out when you export your mix.
    A good way to do this is to get some great mixes like Rihana, Taylor Swift or Maroon 5 and trim your room and your monitors to make these sound great. Reference your mixes against these and if you can make them stand up your on your way.

Hope this helps. But youtube is a great place to get mixing techniques. Pensados place. Anything from Full Sail. Start there.
    Spencer

15. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

First I think you complimented me on the track. Thanks for that. Yes I totally agree about what is out there now. It's not music it is totally crap. Now just remove the c and you have rap that is what is missing from the music today the a capital C. LOL .
    The reason for this is that I want to make sure my recording / mixing is good. I am not a engineer by any part. Just a guitar player. So people help is what I was asking for and from what I have been getting is very helpful.

16. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

To all that have posted I wanted to say thanks for the confidence build up and also for the insight on my recording / mixing.
    Also please note this is a collaboration ; I did the guitars MY03 did the keyboards / bass / drums.

17. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

sound pretty good to me,the guitar solo in the first bars sound a bit like Santana,also i really like the guitar tone,can you share your guitar setup.

18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

spencer26 Yes you have been a great help in giving me direction. I did cut some on the eq side. I have watched some video and it has always been to cut rather than boost. I think I was looking for another few set of ears along with what I did or did not do right. I really do apprciate the help and glad I was able to make your day better I hope by hearing some good music.

19. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Ok as far as the guitar set up goes, it's guitar rig. I plug my 1960 strat into my Focusrite Sapphire pro 40 DI and use the vst for my amp.
    Thanks for the kind words on the sound and my playing..

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Really great on first listen. Something though, is slowing this track down, I think it's where the drums sit in the mix, something sounds wrong with the beat, a slight tweak needed, maybe the drums need to come in earlier, not sure how to explain, but it;s a disco track and the beat sounds a little wrong. Also, the guitar solo is excellent but it needs to be heard and then it should get out of the way, but it seems to hang in there as if it thinks it's more important than the Disco groove - my take. Slap a label New disco on it and you could have a hit. Radio will love it because it's still playing this 80s and 90s stuff which doesn't sound dated.

21. spencer26

I have been recording and mixing for 45 years and still learn new things all the time. There is nothing missing on technique on youtube.
    Its is amazing being able to get other peoples ideas and add them to your own. Then share with others. Most of my career I was not able to get a lot of input from other engineers and had to work things out myself. I am enjoying times now a whole lot. It is just wonderful to hear mix engineers breaking down there sessions. I have a feeling there will be a resurgance of 80s music but with a today twist. I am looking forward to try and maybe contribute to that new sound.
    I have just been inspired to setup the 80s gated snare sound on altiverb.
    Spencer