Can Someone Please Explain CLA Vocals ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Plainview, May 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

I know many of you dont care about those types of plugins , me neither until I tried this plugin and I was blown away by how my vocals sounded with its preset without me even doing anything so I ran it in Plugin Doctor to see what is going on and I observed :

1- the plugin itself add harmonics and noise that increase by pushing the input "it sounds great and can be used without even turning on any of the modules"
    2- the plugin add about 0.5 db of gain in the low end area -till 200 hz- and slight dip in 400-500 hz without turning on anything
    3- it never boosts above 5 db it always decreases everything else when exceeding this threshold which is interesting to me because many audio engineers debunked this
    4- It defines :
    • Bite = 6k Hz ( Narrrow Q) Cutting Everything above 16k
    • Top = 7k Hz ( Wide Q ) cutting Every thing above 18k
    • Roof = Same as Top without this cut (Why?)
    Compression (Tried to replicate the curves using Plugin Doctor) :
    All of them add different Harmonics when pushing but mainly the knob is for makeup gain and the curves dont change which doesnt make sense to me How he pushes the ratio this much

5- The presets : here is an interesting one : https://imgur.com/a/j2h1Bnq
    Like why the fuck does he boost 30 Hz I have never seen Anyone do this , never cuts above 20 Hz ?, 400 Hz is understandable I always cut it

But the thing is , it sounds amazing I copied each curve in fabfilter plugins and they arent exactly the same because I didnt replicate 100% but holy fuck the difference is night and and day as if this exact curve has a secret or something

If anything made sense please educate me on why this plugin works and my 12 plugin vocal chain doesnt :D Thank you

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Interesting. I played with all those preset CLA/Eddie Kramer/Maserati/Butch Vig/ETC preset goodizer boxes back when they came out and decided I didn't like any of them except the Maserati GRP plugin on the Master setting, which I like a lot on various kinds of busses. But not I have to try this again since you've posted this.

The 30 Hz boost is indeed baffling. I can't imagine having that kind of rumble in a vocal... typically I'd trash anything under 150, 200 and maybe higher. Gotta play with it!

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

BTW if you're bored and want to do something, maybe analyze the Maserati plugin? I'd like to know how it limits because I like it a lot.

5. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Looking at the curve, what it really looks like is a very wide bell cut at around, what, 300 Hz- just with a different reference point, not 0db. You could say it's an overall loudness boost, with a 300 Hz cut and wide Q. Right??

6. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

Right ? The thing is there is no clash at all , I dont know how this plugin does it but the 30hz thing adds alot of depth and body ( I think the saturation has something to do with it ) that I dont know why or how its done

yeah right its like he subtracted at 300-400 hz and raised the overall volume but the 6k hz and 30 hz boosts are reocurring theme in every preset not this only

Tell me exactly what do you like about it and I'll try to see what is going on

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

It's mainly the compression/limiting it does- you can add just a little or freaking squash stuff and it still seems dynamic, no pumping, no harsh. But the low/high EQ boost is nice too. That's not hard to emulate. It's really that the limiting is so smooth. This is on the Master button- I never mess with the others.

8. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

Now this is interesting : https://imgur.com/a/q3nlXfU
    Boost in 60 sh hz region , everything under 30 hz is reduced a little , usual dip in 300-400 hz region , Air boost above 6k hz , and all boosts and cuts doesnt exceed 2-3 db
    Shit ton of harmonics is added and noise too , this might be why it sounds great ( the spike at 1 k is the test tone)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Huh. Cool! Thanks!

10. Aiden_CL

Aiden_CL Ultrasonic

All the compression is parallel. Jaycen joshua said it.