can someone explain why you use a VU meter in a daw

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I agree. As I said at the start, this seems an overly-complicated topic of which I barely know about.

That said, I think some of the complication and confusion comes from having this famous meters since decades ago on old hardware. I guess back then they just made the most useful meters they could come up with.
    Legacy VU-meters specs here, more modern there with newer electronic hardware, add to the equation endless possibilities in the digital world... and masterpieces have been made using all the different variants.

I'm making this up and maybe I'm totally wrong but I can almost smell it.

2. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

you can be sure that they would have loved to have the ITU specĀ“ed loudness metering with their 400ms average and 10 ms diplay update and no ballistics in 1954, but it probably didnt work with a metal needle pointer.

which were probaly much cheaper back then compared to using LEDs. given that industrial LEDs were only available since 1962 (i just googled that because i wasnt sure)

3. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

yes, it must be the same since it both comes from the diode which is responsible for the actual measurement. i am thinking too "digital" sometimes and just replicated some nonsese i heard from others when i was 13.

4. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

You could not be more accurate with you your masterpieces statement. If you made it up, then it is still correct, as sure as disasters have been created on all variants.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, that part wasn't my main point and I consider it a fact. As much of a fact as like you say, shitpieces have been made also with every possible metering system.

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Nonetheless, it was a great point which leads back to it does not matter what the gear is, it is who is operating it that makes it good or bad.

8. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

it's just a windows 11 Vulnerability Meter

9. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

And as you mentioned earlier, all of these have to have an understood mathematical relationship between them as they are all brought into being.
    Whereas this quote alone proves also that it doesn't have to matter:
    So people new to the art can choose to adopt their own way of working from now on.

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

If you say my point is great, who am I to deny it? :disco::rofl:
    Now seriously, it's a thing of common sense to me even without knowing much about the topic.
    Agreed. Dang, I'm on a row :wink:

11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Absolutely

12. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Possibly used correctly the second time, but:
    Analogous definition is - similar or comparable to something else either in general or in some specific detail : similar in a way that invites comparison : showing an analogy or a likeness that permits one to draw an analogy.
    I hope you know that, in context with talking about analogue tech!

13. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

Agree 100%. VUMTdeluxe is on top of every channel in any template that I have, and in templates that don't have preloaded channels, I have it conveniently located in my post-master slot, alongside Youlean, for quick access. :wink:

VUMT-Deluxe-min.jpg