Can somebody test this on Windows 10 Ableton 10?

Discussion in 'Live' started by Daskeladden, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Make 15 midi tracks and put Arturia Piano V2.dll on all tracks. So 15 instances of Piano V2.dll, and try to play some midi tracks. This happens on buffer size 512.
    Does your Ableton become laggy and unstable? Mine even crashes and become unusable when I do this.

I can use 20 instances and more of FabFilter Pro-Q 3.dll without any issues.

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

does it happen on buffer 256 too or just 512 . virtual pianos are pretty heavy on cpu. why do you need 15 piano tracks? or is it just a crash test?

4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I agree with korte in that 15 VI instances simultaneously at 512 buffer rate is probably pushing the computer too hard. If you need that many at once and are trying to avoid freezing maybe try raising the buffer to the max to help it manage the more taxing real-time processing. You won't be able to play along live though.

5. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I have only tested it on 512 cause I though that setting could manage that. I ran into the problem when I made a song, but yes it is basically a crash test. Maybe I have to upgrade my pc soon and get more cores. 8 or more

6. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    tested here with no crashes. buffer 256 and 512 on a focusrite scarlett 2i4 1st gen usb2. ~ 35% showing on abletons cpu meter. latest arturia.
    intel i7 4790k @ 4ghz 16 gig ddr 3 ram, 512gig m.2 ssd (which may also be a factor).

I'm a major proponent of freezing or committing to wav though ;)

7. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

hmm strange. Does it not lagg or behave strange at all? Can you test it by duplicating like 30 Arturia Piano V2.dll on midi tracks just to see where your crash/lagg point is. By the way I only have regular SSD 860 evo.
    As for the CPU and Ableton meter it does not show much at all on my pc even though it lagg like crazy and behave strange. I'm on full 4k so that could also be a factor

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Windows 10?

9. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Win 10 Pro, current updated.

10. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

30 using that particular plugin would and should die. It's a silly test. You can't have everything live. Doesn't matter what sort of machine you have, IMHO you should work toward a better workflow than have everything sucking CPU. No motherboard will have the bandwidth for that sort of intense saturation.

High bandwidth graphics could be a factor on some level. Nvidia drivers are known failure points as well. Not at 4K here, just two 23" monitors on a RTX 2080 Super.