Can only drag midi from Kontakt with DAW in admin mode

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by hoboal, Jan 27, 2020.

1. hoboal

hoboal Newbie

I was hoping someone might be able to shed light on an issue I've got.

I've installed Kontakt 6 Portable v6.2.1 and it's working absoloutely fine. The only issue I have is that I was trying to drag some midi out from a library (The Orchestra) which has a drag/export feature, to my DAW (Reaper) but it wasn't working. It also didn't work in other DAWs. However I have no problem dragging midi in from other VST's such as Ezydrummer, although that is a standalone VST.

Eventually I decided to try running Reaper in admin mode, and lo and behold it worked. However, I don't really want to have to keep running reaper in admin mode. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i could make this work normally?

I've checked to make sure that Kontakt portable isn't set to run in admin mode. I've searched the forum and google for any ideas - the only possiblity is that I've put the Kontakt portable folder as a sub folder in 'Program Files' as when I installed it. Would this make any difference? Ive since read conflicting opinions on whether it should be put in a different location. I would try and move the location to see if that works, but have read that after installing the location should not be moved. Is this definitely related to Kontkat, or could be an issue with the library itself?

I would be happy to reinstall - but I'm not sure if and how I should uninstall the current program first. I don't want to mess anything up and for it not to work, as apart from this issue it's all working fine.

Thanks.

3. moneymichaels

moneymichaels Noisemaker

You can right click on the Reaper icon (or any program), click properties and there is an option to "Run as Administrator". That will run Reaper in admin mode automatically. I run all DAW's in admin mode when using Windows--as it tends to resolve any potential "rights" issues. I just chalk it up to one of those weird Windows things.

4. hoboal

hoboal Newbie

Thanks - I’ll resort to running it as administrator if I have to. But ideally would like to solve the issue of why?! There must be some permissions that aren’t set up quite right....

5. moneymichaels

moneymichaels Noisemaker

Yeah, like I said, I always run all DAWs in admin mode. It's the preferred way--according to Cockos, Presonus, Steinberg, Avid, etc. It just resolves any possible issues Windows may have with "permissions". For me, that's the path of least resistance.

6. moneymichaels

moneymichaels Noisemaker

For me, it's more important that something works as intended (like running daw in admin mode), rather than messing around with Windows for possibly hours trying to figure out the cause of it. For me, that's lost productivity time. I'd much rather be getting stuff done than tinkering around with Windows for hours and hours.