Can I use Sonarworks reference 4 if songs are already done?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by EL TEL, Aug 30, 2023.

1. EL TEL

EL TEL Noisemaker

Hi guys,

I've just completed my first album, the songs are all mixed then exported so I can master them in a separate session (my preferred way of working).

I've just got Sonarworks reference 4 and measured my room, but can't find info on how to use and export tracks if they've already been mixed without it. Can it be done and if so, any tips for best results?

Terry

3. Haze

Haze Producer

Yes you're fine to use Sonarworks. No special info needed, just put Sonarworks in your master bus, load your profile and work as usual. Make sure you remember to switch Sonarworks off for export though; that can be easily overlooked.

4. EL TEL

EL TEL Noisemaker

Or would it be easier to use Pro Q3 to add opposite EQ curves from my profile to try and correct the room colouration?

5. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

You can't.

The purpose of Sonarworks is so you can have a flatter response on your monitors or headphones which in turn helps you make better mix decisions.

It's either you redo your mix with Sonarworks or you can just master your songs with Sonarworks.

Just remember to turn Sonarworks off before export.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  6. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I would suggest for you to install the systemwide setup and forget about it ever after. That way, there's no plugin to put on your 2 bus and no way you can forget to remove it before rendering.

7. EL TEL

EL TEL Noisemaker

Yeah, I've already installed the system wide version but that doesn't seem to help when the tracks have already been mixed and mastered. Any ideas?

8. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

What do you mean by ''it doesn't seem to help'' ?

I don't know if that's what you meant but Sonarwork is not supposed to process your rendering output. It only apply a filter to your outgoing sound. so it doesn't affect your 2 Bus output .

It's for monitoring purposes. Not for rendering purposes.

9. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

In case you want to add an "inverse" of Sonarworks to your finished mixes in order to subtract the measured room deviations, then no. It just doesn't work this way.

10. EL TEL

EL TEL Noisemaker

Ah ok gotcha, so would you apply an EQ to the master to try and match the filter curves from my speaker profile, then disable it before rendering?

11. EL TEL

EL TEL Noisemaker

Thanks mate, so would I be better using it back at the mixdown stage instead of on the master?

12. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

Best Answer
    As @Olaf said, No, it doesn't work that way.

You mix into Sonarwork System wide (without any Sonarwork plugin inserted on the 2 bus ) and simply render as is. No need for correction EQ to counter Sonarworks systemwide output. It's only for monitoring purposes so you hear your 2 bus ( and whatever sound on your PC) flat. It's not for rendering.

13. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Mixing stage – yes. Actual Mixdown (rendering) process – no. If you're mastering the tracks, then you would also want to use it during mastering.

To avoid any misunderstandings: Sonarworks' SoundID is used to correct your monitoring (speakers/headphones/room acoustics). It does not correct your mixes or masters and therefore should be disabled during rendering when used as a plug-in.