Can I use computer keyboard keys in battery 4 to trigger samples?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThirdEyeJim, Aug 17, 2016.

1. ThirdEyeJim

ThirdEyeJim Noisemaker

Hello,
    I was wondering if it was possible to use my computer keyboard to trigger samples in battery. The reason is I'm not able to access my midi keyboard right now so I can't use that.

Thanks!

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Of course you can. Get the virtual MIDI keyboard up in your DAW, they all have it. You then play it with your keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. JustinIrradiation

JustinIrradiation Member

5. ThirdEyeJim

ThirdEyeJim Noisemaker

Thanks y'all I figured it out. Ableton allowed me to do it but I couldn't do it in battery while it was open "stand alone".

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Battery 4 looks pretty but 3 was so much more functional.

7. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

Just curious, why would you use 3rd party software when Abeltons Drum rack is so good?

8. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

A qwerty option in standalone is needed to audition before you fire up in DAWs n MIDI boards.

9. adrian

adrian Ultrasonic

It's possible Battery have build-in option to use pc Keys, and more daw have same option (configure this in preferences menu).
    If not, you need some addon:
    - on web are various virtual midi keyboard software solution as plugin much as standalone to play midi on pc Keys, too many ...
    - and you need also virtual midi router (midi Yoke, LoopeBe, and more to choose) to redirect midi signal from virtual midi keyboard to Battery midi-in; careful some virtual midi keyboard have his own build-in virtual midi cable so you don't need to install other.
    - To use in standalone to redirecting audio to daw you need a virtual audio router (better are the VB cables - Banana or Voicemeeter or Hi-Fi Bridge - but you can try also Jack4Win, ODeus Asio Link, DDMF Audio stream, Carla, Synchronous Audio Router, Reaper build-in Asio Router ... they all support Asio and most are free, ODeus and Reaper are here on audioz; for WDM driver use VAC or LoopBe Audio buy solutions but VAC is on audioz, they support Asio trough Asio4All). Obviously to use standalone Battery with direct line-out no need any virtual audio cables.
    Note: Virtual audio cables have some issue of latency and configuration (VB is easier), these there are not on most virtual midi driver ...

Solutions are too many to name it here, search on web better solution to your daw configuration system and to your purposes.
    Sorry my english

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  10. ThirdEyeJim

ThirdEyeJim Noisemaker

Very good question, the reason I use battery is because I like the layout and the samples it comes with are very good as well.