Can I Use A Second PC As A MIDI Controler?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by geraldthegenius, Apr 21, 2015.

1. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

I wonder if anyone knows of a way to use a my laptop as a midi/keyboard/controller for my desktop pc?
    I know there are tons of ways to link a laptop and a pc but I have not found one that allows you to use the external pc as a midi controller.

There's tons of software for android smart phones and pads (like touch daw found here http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/. But are there any for laptops?

3. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

You should work to clear ideas, because no one need to be medium...
    In osx And Logic sometimes I use the computer keyboard to play the synths.
    Its hard to understand why to use a controlable thing to control ?????
    If you mean send midi from one to another computer, the topic was explored here a LOT.
    If you mean control midi with the computer keyboard theres also here and Audioz.
    Remember
    Mouse, computer and musical keyboards are controllers.
    Tablets, hardware synths, cels and laptops are controllers and processors of some kinds.
    The people here will try to answer even if they do not understand the question but if you think that the World will be lovely like here you will :excl: :wow:
    Só, better think and search before write

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Try these:
    - http://www.amvst.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/unicontrol.zip
    - Bome Midi Translator (can for example convert all kinds of input devices like Joysticks, Gamepads etc. into MIDI data)
    - http://www.extranslator.com/tools/exmixer.html (Gotta translate from polish, but it's very powerful)

5. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

6. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

Copperlan (along with Copperplug wrapper which is free, but hard to find on their site)
    Midioverlan
    VSTunnel (not midi but can take load of primary pc)
    FX Teleport (as above)

There are probably a couple of others that i forgot to mention ;)

7. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

Tis not I that typed the question wrong or failed to search. Ahh but it is you that may have misinterpreted my question. Either way, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Never the less, fellow forum members did indeed answer with more than enough material. Exactly what I was looking for!!!!

Thanks kind sir. You even provided a direct link to the zip! Looks like hella fun.
    Joysticks and Gamepads too!!!???
    I often use my ps3 controller on my pc for gaming. Never even crossed my mind to use it for music.
    Lol cant wait to whip out this doohickey at my next recording session. People are gonna be like, "dude are you seriously playing your daw like a god damned ps3!?"

The gui on this thing looks absolutely nuts!? Like someone blasted it with a candy store cannon. Hope it's not too cpu intensive. Thanks man.

These will indeed help with the cpu. Been using Serum alot lately. And some of my bass patches on there can get REALLY cpu heavy. Had no clue you could share the load on another computer. Big help. Thanks!

Preciate the help gentlemen. Gonna get to work right after I finish reading the new article on google possibly finding the Loch Ness monster lol.
    Interesting stuff so far Has Google found the Loch Ness Monster?

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

You're very welcome!
    FYI: A post about using Bome with Joysticks/Gamepads

Ah, and in case you own an iOS or Android phone: "TouchOSC" is available for both platforms and will help translate Accelerometer data (X/Y/Z angle) and Touch events to MIDI. It works wirelessly (!) and on the PC or Mac, you need an OSC compatible server software (e.g. TouchOSC Bridge) that translates the OSC messages sent over WiFi to actual MIDI messages that you can use on your Desktop or Laptop. Additionally, you can put your own faders/buttons/XY-pads on the phone's screen for even more MIDI control.

Nice find :wink:

BTW, the Nessie's Telegraph link URL ends with "http://" and doesn't work. Just edit your last post and remove these last characters in the link URL.
    (This easily happens when you click into the URL field twice because then, the "http://" text is not erased automatically.)

9. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

There are tons of touch controllers on tablets because they create something you can't do on regular laptops/desktops :wink:
    Some ppl separate sequencing from generating, using FX Teleport and such.
    So you cans sequence on Mac and generate on Windows (example) and on several computers (used for big orchestral work).

There is little point using a laptop as secondary midi controller, because there is nothing more a desktop can do.
    That's why there was a confusion at first :wink:

But you can always buy a computer touchscreen and plug it on your laptop or desktop.
    Put it flat on your desk and play (like SmithsonMartin Emulator PRO).

Here is an example with the amazing Sensomusic Usine :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6xh5B7FLE&list=PLDYQV973sx0tlSp7YwPLjgMFmNjhbijOh