can i make something professional, with cracked things, without having problem with laws?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by PsychatoR, Aug 24, 2016.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

didn't know about that Bob person, couldn't find any links. besides those extreme examples i believe the reason why the vast majority of people dl and install cracked software is ignorance, meaning, lack of knowledge.

its today's working class that through the net and digitalisation see a change to get a bit of what in other times would have been impossible.THAT is the main reason of why MOST people jump from daw to daw, download ALL software out there and waste their time in meaningless hunt to find out how things work, where they fit in the chain, etc etc. working-class people that haven't had the advantage of growing up in a resourceful, educated environment, people without music (or any higher) education, which would get most of your questions, identity and answers in a fraction of the time it takes to keep downloading software, samples and everything else out there for years, wasting time, life, getting poor advices and making poor decisions.

like everything else in class-society, people who have had the chance to properly educate themselves, who have lived a social environment that allowed/afford them to "find themselves" will hassle a fraction of the time with this stuff and will focus on producing and therefore also buy the stuff they need.

this "rule" will not include everyone for sure, but i think may be pretty close.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Nah,that was a joke bro,Bob is still happily producing :)

3. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Although I generally agree to your post (and said something similar in mine), you do that other guy no justice. If you read the original post you'll see that it is no mate, no buddy per se, but the owner of a professional studio. It is actually wise to disallow crackz in his studio, since his studio will be much more in the focus of the business than the op.

4. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

work with your plugz, but turn it into audio before taking it to your man's studio. he's not working with cracked anything now just audio files

5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Oops. I kind of skipped around in the thread. Thanks for pointing that out.

6. nazeox

nazeox Newbie

avicii, martin garrix etc etc all of them use cracked plugins and their songs are on the radio and shit so

7. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Thanks for the link bro.Interesting stuff.

Pirates made to pay as Waves cracks down on cracks
    By Lee du-Caine August 22, 2007

A number of pro studios have been caught out using cracked versions of Waves plug-ins by none other than the legendary plug-in producers themselves.
    A number of professional studios have been caught out using unauthorised – ie, cracked – versions of Waves plug-ins by none other than the legendary plug-in producers themselves.

The full story reported on Pro Sound News Europe details how Waves sent out teams of investigators earlier this year to secretly gather video evidence in support of claims that certain pro facilities were using dodgy copies of Waves gear. Unwitting engineers and studio owners were captured on film talking about – and even using – the plugs, later resulting in rather stern letters from Waves informing the studios that they intended to prosecute unless they settled out of court "for a sum several times in excess of the list price of the item concerned".

So far, studios in both the US and UK have been caught red-handed in this manner, including "six well-known UK studios" and a "prominent education establishment". Clearly, these places should know better, and obviously aren't short of a bob or two either, so they're no doubt rather red-faced about it all. It's said that none of the cases have yet come to court, so we can only assume they've dipped into their bulging pockets to cough up the settlement amount.

CM is right behind Waves on this, and we hope to bring you a more in-depth update on the matter in a future issue of the magazine, not to mention a review of their all-new API Collection EQ/compression bundle.

9. sacredl

sacredl Member

This article is 9 years old. This initiative generated A LOT (and I mean a REAL lot) negative PR for Waves, getting shit even from legit owners. Moreover only Waves cared (or cares if they still do this, but more cautiously) about legal prosecution. Every other plugin manufacturer doesn't give a shit/has no money for international court cases, because they cost and take time/doesn't want to shoot themselves in the foot (just imagine an uproar on gearslutz if Slate went on cracked vsts crusade :rofl:).

As others mentioned, guys like Kanye, Avicii use cracked stuff and nothing happens. In my country there are studios, which operate only on cracked plugins and no one does anything, because the issue is non-existent for officials - on picture of whole economics, this industry is a niche and hard to regulate/control.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  10. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

If you make A LOT of money like the studios mentioned above by von Steyr, I see no point in using cracked versions, that's just lame

11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Lame,irresponsible and unprofessional.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

If I may add my 12 cents, if you produce music using recognizable presets, which could be sometimes tempting, you should make sure to have the right to do so. I think about a scenario where you make a track,say, with the Korg Legacy Wavestation, Preset 1. ski jam. You add other instruments, but it still stays recognizable. If you try to chage it, you loose the mood of your track instantly. Unfortunatly for you, your track becomes famous, and some people cry "Wavestation!" - in other cases that may be "Sytrus!", "Hive!", "Alchemy!".... at least then you should have bought the synth (surely it can minimize your tax income, if you are a musician who pays taxes).
    For a studio, I find it completely acceptable that they won't use other than legally acquired software and sounds.
    For a bedroom producer, as one mentioned here before, I say it's his/hers own decision, because its not without risk (trojans,viruses,encrypters...), and if you don't earn money with your music, well, you won't buy expensive software anyway. So it's not exactly stealing, if you have no commercial benefit (I know this is a lame argument, because if you were so eager to use a specific instrument and there would be no possibility to get it otherwise, you would have bought it after all...)

I wonder, if the bigger software/sampler companies, like NI, or VSL, or Arturia, would adopt one day a monthly payed license model, like Adobe or Autodesk. This would give many musicians the opportunity to use virtual instruments, effects and libraries they never could afford otherwise. I see a lot of companies going this way recently, even smaller ones.

13. :unsure:
    Golly, gosh and whoaaaa, using these two as examples of anything but what not to be when you grow up is just terribly wrong, wrong wrong.:woot:

14. You'll get away with working with warez up to the point you sign a deal, at which point they'll make you rerecord everything, at your expense, using a legit rig.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List