Can I control the bass in this mix better?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Johnny Mach1ne, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Johnny Mach1ne

Johnny Mach1ne Ultrasonic

I produced this and mixed it but then I tried basic mastering by myself. I feel like it's ok but I think the bass is too loud. But I'm not sure. I need fresh ears. Any advice in welcome!

This was the original for those who want to compare
    http://picosong.com/zgJ7/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. I think that you need to tame those glassy and painful highs, it hurts a lot. Really. It was no pleasure to listen to for more than a couple of seconds. Bass...no issue with me.

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

The bass is not bad... try to add a lil' bit of sustain using a transient manager.

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I like the track a lot but none of the sounds are talking to each other. They have been incorrectly EQ. The proof is that they are all fighting to be prominent , as opposed to fitting nicely in their own frequency.
    Bass should have a cut in the mids, and boosted around 150 hz (Narrow Q)
    Kick should have a mid cut too, a boost around 80 to 100hz, and a 150 cut with a very narrow Q
    Leads and plucks (and snare) should have a cut around the freq of kick and bass, and a boost where you cut the kick and bass.
    do this without making the track louder if possible. only THEN should you consider mastering it.

Sorry if it sounds like I was pulling it apart, I really do like it's potential though.

I just listened to it again. It occurs to me you may already have done that, but at some point you have filtered out the low end right across the board. OR, did you use a stereo widener on the whole track? I would like to have a listen to it in mono, because I now think that is where the problem could be.

EDIT:-

Cancel ALL of that. I reckon it's probably Soundcloud at fault.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Johnny Mach1ne

Ok thanks. The Synths are a little bright. Were you referring to the synths or the vocals? Or all the high stuff(hats/synths/vocals)?

7. Johnny Mach1ne

When I used Ozone 6 I widened the whole thing. Mainly the mids I think. Bad choice?

8. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Nice track! The bass / low end is actually not bad but as @Sylenth.Will.Fall said, if you 'carve' it out around 80 cylcles and let the kick sit
    below that it will really stand out. The synths are a little harsh on the highs and kind of fighting eachother for room. Vocals sound super, maybe give them even more space to cary the track. Reminds me of the WKND. Nice :wink:
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Dude if this is your vocal you should pitch this to publishers, if not record labels. Vocal tracks like this fetch $$

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I wasn't sure what I was clicking on and was expecting to be disappointed. But it's quite hot. I do agree that the track in general is quite bright, particularly the vocals. But overall I love the song. Probably make it a big longer. Nice job.

11. Johnny Mach1ne

Thanks!

12. Johnny Mach1ne

Ok I'll keep that it mind! I'm going to work on it now.

13. Johnny Mach1ne

Thanks e-minor. I might extend it. And yeah I'm going to work on the brightness.

14. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

The hats - you can use a DSer on them, becuase the transient is nice but when they stick around :{

It does need some EQ works, and what applies for recording doesn't always apply for mixing - if you crowd that 2.5KHz - 5KHz range which is what you've done, it will get painful fast especially at the loudness you are shooting for.

Frequency preception changes a bit with SPL if you want it mastered loud and plan to play at a high volumes you might have to cut some very deep notches between 3KHz-5KHz.

The bass is fine but things need to play nicer together Otherwise you end up with a mountain above 800Hz, which masks a lot of stuff... which is what you are dealing with.

Fix it in the original mix, mastering is like the final polish on a nice shoe, make a nice shoe first then polish it.

15. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

While you got your EQ out, I noticed a lot of 315 in there try a kinda tight Q and cut. Just Sayin'

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

It depends on who you ask, as there is a very grey area around mastering. For me personally though, I NEVER master a track until I am happy with it in mixdown form.
    Consider widening synths and plucks individually to taste, but not bass or kick or indeed anything below 120 hz, as that will remove the guts from your track.
    With ANY EDM track (as they are going to be played in clubs mostly) I would mono everything below 120 hz (give or take 20hz) early in the 'master chain'

To answer your question about widening the whole thing? Yes, bad choice. Widening above 120hz up to 130/140 hz can be beneficial though

bx_Control (Brainworx) is a good tool for this as it allows you to mono below a certain frequency and widen everything else up to the frequency you set.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  17. Johnny Mach1ne

Went back and edited the eq on the vocals and extended the beat. I tried to add a few little synths/drums here and there. Also enabled free DL. Thansk for the feedback everyone. The link original link has the updated file!

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I'd liked to have a before an after to compare it, but it sounds good this morning.

19. Johnny Mach1ne

I edited the original post with a link

20. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Much better now.