Can AUDIO INTERFACE serve this purpose ??

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by maverickvd, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Better change your speaker first then... You cant have a good balance with 5', you need at least 8'.

2. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

:rofl:
    Sure.
    But truly the buttons are made of this plastic that becomes sticky after time ... More analogy?... :rofl:

3. G String

G String Rock Star

Games, media player, browser etc don't use ASIO. Unless the new drivers (for 1st gen 2i2) have changed it, WDM audio is stuck at 16 bit (on 2i2).

4. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Personally I think it is very possible you will not be able to hear any difference whatsoever. It is also possible that after you buy a new interface you will believe there is a clear difference - even if there actually isn't.

I happen to believe most modern DA converters are meaningfully indistinguishable from each other.

Sadly, I am not aware of any published modern proper double blind tests comparing different widely used DA chips. So I can't prove it. However there are some proper tests that indicate humans are unable to hear whether a signal has been fed through a proper modern 44.1kh 16bit AD-DA converter.

Many hifists will passionately disagree with this. Many hifists are full of shit.

For various reasons many onboard audio chips (especially older designs) have clearly audible noise floor levels. Using balanced connections can also audibly reduce the noise levels, especially if you happen to live next door to a skyscraper sized tesla coil.

However I would say by all means get a brand name external audio interface even if you don't need extra connectivity, proper headphone output and low latency drivers. It is highly unlikely it sounds worse in any way (very possible will sound better / at least less noisy) AND at least then you don't have to worry about this shit for one second longer and you can focus on the music. This is basically the reason professional studios usually use really expensive ADA converters. So that the they or their clients don't need to ever waste a thought on them.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

true.
    Apogee = #1.

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Any audio interface, even the humble models like M-Audio M-track 2x2, Steinberg U12, Alesis Multimix 4x4, Tascam Us 1x2 etc., all @ about 100 euros, will sound noticeably better and cleaner than the onboard Realtec 5 euros worth of a chip. The only way to make a Realtec chip sound -sort of- ok for audio workstation purposes, is to digitally connect it to an external DAC and pray the motherboard is properly shielded. And you 'll have to put up with ASIO4ALL and its limitations as well.
    I dunno, was this "hifist" enough ? Or should i start recommending 1000 euros/mtr cables lol ? Jokes aside, the only hi-fi afficionados who are full of shit, are the types who have no real passion for hi-fi and no ears for it either, they just compete on who will pay more for speaker stands or cables etc etc. The really passionate about hi-fi people, are just ordinary people with an affliction for good sound, period.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. TW

TW Guest

To be honest I nearly always heard a difference if I changed my soundcards/interfaces. I would not use the word "better" but the word different. Compared to a cheap onboard sound chip, you will notice an improvement with every >100 bucks audio interface/soundcard dedicated for audio production.

I am not sure if the audient is the right interface for you. The audient is great don't get me wrong but it shines mainly because of its front end. Preamp and AD. If you have an ancient PCI Slot take a look at the RME HDSP 9632 PCI. These cards still run about 350-400 bucks new in my area. You get them used really cheap. Rock solid RME quality (drivers). Still an awesome soundcard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
  8. m9cao

m9cao Producer

DELL tower owner... probably I can guess you are a rich

buy a good audio interface $1000-3000 or above

monitors
    $3000+ - $6000+ pair

monitor management hardware
    $2000 - $4000+

Vovox cables
    $1000 total

9. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

I do not agree. I "know" it from experience and simple experiments. Many onboard chips are perfectly fine. The fact is, not taking to an account possible obvious noise floor and even sometimes audible interference issues especially with some older onboard chips, OP is using speakers and when he tilts his head or moves his speakers or his chair even an inch the various reflections (unless he produces music in a world class anechoic chamber), comb filtering effects, head related transfer functions and other phenomena will easily overweight any expected differences between a reasonable onboard chip and an external 100e interface.

The people who get a new more expensive interface and think the sound is suddenly much better are in my humble opinion in most cases just fooling themselves. It's very easy to do.

I did a little digging and it turns out I was wrong about lack of proper published tests: few years ago there was a seemingly ok published test done by Toms Hardware which included a $2 onboard realtek chip. The results:

Using world-class headphones, a $2 Realtek integrated audio codec could not be reliably distinguished from the $2000 Benchmark DAC2 HGC in a four-device round-up. Again, all four devices sounded great.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me even if not taking into account the fact I just cited a test where people could not distinguish a $2 Realtek chip from $2000 DA converter / headphone amplifier. Bits are bits. I have never heard about "non properly shielded" MB causing any kind of signal loss on digital audio output. BUT JIIIIIIIIITTTERRRR. Shut up.

Some hifists tend to make unwarranted blanket statements. Some hifists are full of shit.

Btw. I've been using an EMU 1820m interface with 120db "flagship" AKM converters at home for the last ~10 years. Probably couldn't easily - if at all - tell it in a listening test from the jack output of my cheap android phone.

10. When I went from a Focusrite Saffire 6 to a Babyface the differences were profound...the soundstage became wider with a greater sense of depth and I was able to discern to a greater extent individual elements of the mix. It was rather a night and day kind of thing, and to see if I was just fooling myself, I had a few others listen and judge. There was a unanimous choice that the Babyface was a step up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Wut?! Really? That doesn't make sense at all.
    I run everything on dedicated ASIO and have done so for decades (RME though).

12. m9cao

m9cao Producer

I don't agree that too, I remember that I heard the huge difference only when I received a amp product by SPL, those low quality audio product $1000 below cannot say any 'difference' or 'better' with built in motherboard audio unit

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

this is what you need to consider:
    1) do I need hardware control of the volume?
    2) do I need very low latency for recording and producing?
    3) do I need reliable drivers?
    4) do I need future compatibility with whatever OS I'll use?
    5) do I need any additional I/O in near future?

"best you can get" versatile solution is RME Babyface Pro (the end.)
    "my recommendation", since you have desktop and perhaps don't need to record any mics, RME HDSPe AIO is worthy choice, being PCIexpress you won't find anything smoother (plus the ADAT I/O may provide future expansion),
    as a budget option, for ex. NI Komplete Audio 6 is among top-rated, along with various Focusrite, Presonus pieces etc..
    you might as well consider old good RME Babyface (despite being relatively ancient, there is no problem using in latest operating systems and performance is rock-solid),
    having any dedicated audio interface will let you run balanced audio signal, which basically means zero noise caught on wire on path from interface to monitors, and also the range and clarity will be noticeably better compared to onboard audio chips most PCs have,
    speaking of Windows, for any realtime workflow, you're "stuck" with ASIO, and naturally if the interface has own native support, then performance shall be better (unlike ASIO4ALL which is just a cpu-hog emulation layer)

14. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Yeah you need a good interface and use Asio
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Rubix-22-USB-Audio-Interface/142498313832?epid=18004614867&hash=item212d8fb668:g:R0oAAOSwM6NZshud&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=roland+interface+audio&_from=R40&rt=nc
    [​IMG]
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/the...of-the-best-soundcards-for-beginners-and-pros
    there is considerable difference between Flac and mp3 massive difference.
    [​IMG]
    see if you can notice difference with Flac and mp3 with okay headphones first.
    https://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240STUDIO-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1531736089&sr=8-5&keywords=studio+headphones&refinements=p_72:2661618011
    [​IMG]
    If so, then you need room treatment with acrostic panels after you get your interface.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  15. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Exactly,me too when I swithched from a M-audio delta 192 pci to a RME Babyface the difference is incredible! Like @superliquidsunshine , I am sure of that !
    But from a Babyface to a RME UCX the difference is not big.

16. It was night and day. I just picked up an old Saffire 6 for $20 like I used to have. I will use it with a laptop that I can now take with me, enabling recording in cool spaces that I discover along the way as I travel. I tested it the other day and decided that it is the AD that is of a lower standard as when I played the recording through the Babyface it sounded so, so much better. I kind if like the preamps on the Saffire, I find them kind of warm to my ears. Kind of noisy but still usable when not pushing them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Most likely you won't hear any difference, but it depends highly on your onboard codec/DAC.

I'm with El digital on this.
    Indeed, today's chipsets on mainboards often offer a higher playback quality than budget interfaces. Look at this example:

Intel DZ77GA (Realtek ALC898) @ 48kHz:
    [​IMG]

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 @ 48kHz:
    [​IMG]

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 @ 96kHz:
    [​IMG]

Again, it depends on your mainboard. Even boards with the same Realtek chip can produce different results due to the exact implementation and other factors.

With an interface you'll get many other thing, like superior input (i.e. recording) quality, various inputs/outputs, or ASIO. But if you really don't use any external gear, you just don't need this. Furthermore, if it's about quality, you don't need to think about better DACs with $100 monitors. For a better quality you'll simply need better speakers in the first place.

And about MP3 and FLAC, have a look at these great sites here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

So, can you really hear a difference? :yes::no::unsure:

18. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

I like to use the the following image when discussing these topics:

[​IMG]

It is an old classic experiment. The subjects were employees of Harman / Kardon.

They tested 4 different expensive hifi speakers by different manufacturers. Each speaker was tested 4 times. After each test the subjects would rate the speakers by their preference.

1. Each speaker in position 1, subjects could see what brand and model the speaker was
    2. Each speaker in position 2, subjects could see what brand and model the speaker was
    3. Each speaker in position 1, subjects could not see what brand and model the speaker was
    4. Each speaker in position 2, subjects could not see what brand and model the speaker was

The results are absolutely staggering.

- In sighted tests the position of the speaker basically did not matter
    - In blind test the position of the speaker became a deciding factor
    - The least liked speaker in sighted test won the blind test

Like I said, it is very easy to fool yourself. These people were professional audio equipment engineers and they let their expectations completely take over. I'm sure some of them also used terms and concepts like "sound stage" and "sense of depth".

And these were speakers. Different speakers actually often sound quite different from each other. Unlike modern DACs.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. m9cao

m9cao Producer

you can believe those cheating chart and a guy above you, but welcome to backing to the true world, statistics cannot mean everything. and more, the testing gears only can receive digital result but not true world energy structure, cables, plugs, impedance of gears between they didn't have.
    they often spreading the shit like 'you can't hear the difference so the quality is doesn't matter', 'you don't need high end gears, and high end cable/plugs, those things are shit do not buy, you need not to be rich', 'come on stupid boy! and buy my phone or gaming motherboard with neon light blubs which has superior DAC! pro audio doesn't had that! hohoho give me money!!!!!'

20. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

Your post gave me AIDS.

If you are trolling, please stop.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List