Can anyone suggest some good headphones for mixing?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Southparkfan182, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

beyederdynamic DT-770 is better for recording, DT-880 suits mixing well.
    I own both and they're just great. Pretty good value for the price and you can change used parts.
    Cheers.

2. dreaded

dreaded Newbie

I love my M50s!

3. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

al ears are different, ironically , I've just bought my DT 990's spent a good 2 weeks deciding. the music shop in my town lucky has a huge wall of headphone connected to a mac with iTunes so there are loads of different kinds of music to listen to though what ever you want to try, in the end i went with the Beyerdynamic. before you buy anything try all the ones in your price range and see which ones A. are the most comfortable ( cause your gonna have them on at for a long stretch of time in one sitting normally and B which ones sound the best to you.)
    here something i found when i was shopping that helped me decided

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-recording-studio-headphones/

Hope it helps in your search

4. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Audio Technica ATH-M50 for mixing. AKG K240 for tracking. The AKG's are just more comfortable for long sessions.

5. justthankyah

justthankyah Kapellmeister

some folks swear about sonarworks... calibrated headphones or studio monitors.. check the site..maybe you can get the custom calibrated option and you are good to go ...

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I like mine and would not spend more for anything else. They have a flat Freq response also.

7. JST

JST Ultrasonic

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

beyerdynamics def, those things last almost a lifetime, have mine for over 10 years now

9. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

byerdynamic hd990/880 great sound and super comfy for hours to go - you can wash the velour pads w/o problem so get and additional pair of replacement pads (must be velour as the black leather ones sound different on top) get yourself the AT m50 if you like sweaty ears (cant use them for longer periods) - using the m50 only for monitoring my tablet, synths and grooveboxes

whatever you go for ... dont use closed systems but semi-open

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ok.. you have piqued my interest,

and what are your metrics that make one better for recording, and the other for mixing... ??
    only closed vs. open back ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  11. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

None. Use your monitors. If you can't get loud with them, you more then likely don't have a well treated room. So mixing at low levels is ideal anyways. As you'll be able to work a lot better without the problems created from a bad room. Although whenever you get a chance crank those babies a bit to reference the low end of your mix.

12. MORTIX

MORTIX Kapellmeister

I`m also interested in this.. I`ve been searching for a pair for Mixing.. I`ve bought the Sennheiser HD320 three months ago and i find them too muddy and dark for mixing.. They dont reveal to me the mids and highs that i need (Cymbals balance, kick transients, etc..) They are fine for tracking.. So I`m looking for a pair that give me a best detail and translation and i`ve narrow them down to the Beyerdynamics.. I`m inclining to the DT770 250.. But ppl are saying that a semi-open probably will be better.. So any help with the DT770, DT880, DT990 will be welcome..

13. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

My vote for Sennheiser HD 650. it has impedance of 300 Ohm. This is very important parameter which make good headphones good. But at the same time make it useless with your iPhone. You should consider this.

14. Z4C4M4NdU

Z4C4M4NdU Member

Anyone can tell me something about the Audio Technica ATH M30x? :dunno:

15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

are you a trust fund kid or something ? :cool:
    trust fund.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

For mixing, i will suggest the DT 880. Seems we all have differences on which set of the headphones, but most agree beyerdynamic is the way to go. You can get a good deal on ebay. Worth the buy. Love mine!

17. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ackk!! all this headphone talk has got me hot and bothered.. I just bought the DT-880 Pro for $205 from Reverb :disco:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  18. JST

JST Ultrasonic

When it comes to Headphones, "Perceived Quality" is a real
    MotherFucker. $100 is too much, and if you spend more than that, congratulations, You are a first class Sucker. We know the truth. We don't believe them.
    - WE BELiEVE US -

19. Litiman9

Litiman9 Noisemaker

can i use beyerdynamic dt 990 250 ohm with scarlett 2i2.... since impedance is so high??? or i have to route output from scarlett to amplifier then to these cans... ????

20. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

For that price range shure 840, there can be argue, if they are best for mixing as soundstage is not as wide, but when come to mastering and thrustful freq output, there is hardlly any better at this price point. Remember i am not talking about how enjoyable sound coming from them as this question should be last one, when someone buy "working tool". One of the bestbest mix of that is still probably HD600. Used one of course for that price.