Can anyone recommend a simple basic DAW for the Mac?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by litewait, Mar 5, 2012.

1. litewait

litewait Newbie

Hi

Can anyone recommend a simple basic DAW for the Mac?

Im using Reason but i would also like to use Massive, FM8 and some other VST's.

I have used Logic, Ableton Live and Reaper and didn't get on with them.

I'm looking for a simple/basic DAW just for VST's so I can use my midi keyboard to record some notes then export it and then put it into Reason

Thanks

3. Antilles

Antilles Member

mac has garageband which is quite simple. you can load instruments but it doesnt support vst, only au. garageband is preinstalled on every mac i guess.

4. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

If you are just looking to sample some notes for use in Reason -- Why not just sample the audio from the Standalone versions (FM8, Massive, Etc) ?
    Use AudioHijack (or something similar) to capture the Digital Audio direct to wave, aiff, or mp3 -- http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

Otherwise you could use RAX to host -- http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/rax/

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I don't understand. Do you want to record MIDI information and be able to move it around, or do you want to record soft synth VSTi's driven with your MIDI contoller in real time and then be able to move that?

6. litewait

litewait Newbie

im not sure how to word it but im looking to press record on a daw and play a bassline on my keyboard via massive then save it as a loop to put into reason. The reason why i wouldn't record it as a standalone is if im playing on my keyboard it wont always be in time, with a daw i would be able to move the notes around within the sequencer.

This image is what im trying to explain. its reason but logic and all the other have sequencers

[​IMG]

So basically im looking for a sequencer that uses VST's

i hope that makes sence

7. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

Live is probably the easiest DAW to use regarding workflow - you can rewire Reason and run it parallel to the VST sequences.
    I know you said you had tried it before -- but -- if at first you don't succeed; try, try again
    Ableton is my suggestion -- If you are comfortable with reason, and have access to youtube (tutorials), Ableton live is probably the easiest to get on.

8. litewait

litewait Newbie

Thats what i was thinking. I didnt really understand Live with the multi samples on 1 channel but i think i'll give it another go.

I was just wondering if there was a basic sequencer out there but looks like i'll have to back to the big daw's.

RAX looks ideal if it had a sequencer.

Thanks for your help

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I have more than a "few" DAW notches on my belt too now. And I have to agree with the the majority here. Ableton was the easiest to learn. *yes*

Seems to me like your working backwards tho. I would get my sounds (THOR) out of reason and into ableton (or reaper). The no vst/vsti support in reason just kills me :( Its fOOkin 2012, Get with the program already

10. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

u have logic,ableton and reaper and can t get on with them?
    maybe the problem is learning to use what u got rather than looking for something simpler

11. svmiller

svmiller Newbie

Open Ableton, load massive, make some patch, close massive window, hit tab (go to arrangement view), click record, click play, hit some notes on your keyboard, hit stop.
    There you have...

Also, don't forget to read the ableton manual. It is a PDF file and it's on ableton installation directory. You can open PDF files with adobe reader. You can get Adobe Reader from adobe's website. You can find adobe's website using google. You can use google by entering their website wich url is www.google.com. I hope it helps you LOL

12. litewait

litewait Newbie

i had those. i liked logic but i couldn't update my mac as i didnt pay for it!!! reaper i tried first and confused me and went straight back to reason, and ableton i got recently. I didnt get to try it for too long as i had to format my laptop so before downloading ableton again i thought i would see if there was a basic daw as all i want it for are a couple of vst's

13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

people usually "just" start out in reason, then change because of all the limitations. But I will say this, that thor synth is badassed. Wish they made a vsti of that monster cuz rewiring just for that synth is definitly overkill :wow:

14. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

One more way to approach this, which is what I do because I like to play and hear in real time, is to get a real synth or digital piano and use that as a midi controller and listen to a real program as I'm playing. I can get the real time feel, save the midi info and apply it to other synths later. It is not exactly like playing the program you want, but if I select a pad style program to trigger a pad part, or a bass program for a bass part, I find that usually gets me close to what I want as far as being able to play it. I can tweak the latency down where between a real time synth and a soft synth played with it at the same time is pretty reasonable to work with, and gives me an idea of what I will have after the latency gets removed. And sometimes, the two of them together sounds nice.

15. ign

ign Newbie

waiting december 2013, samplitude pro x will release MAC OS version..

16. lonewolf000

lonewolf000 Newbie

i recommend logic pro.

17. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

"I want a simple DAW but Ableton and Logic didn't cut it.." Ableton isn't a simple DAW? :dunno: I will say this. Midi files do NOT capture the sound when you record them, only the midi. Don't be afraid or hesitant to learn a new DAW/Learn MORE about your current DAW. The initial investment of your time is a small price to pay to maximize your work flow and creativity. I've been using massive since day 1 and can say that that synth alone has a very steep learning curve once you get into the routing possibilities (endless possibilities with adequate knowledge of that synth!) I started in logic and now only work in 64 bit Ableton 9

Logic to me is very straight forward. You can do anything you want if you know HOW to do it. Some things are more complex than they need to be but for the most part Logic is the DAW that got me started on my journey and is the perfect DAW to learn on since it teaches you everything (over time)

I myself love the fact that I can arrange AND record my tracks WITH automation all in real time leaving me left with just the final mixdown and then onto the pre-master. There isn't any other DAW on the planet that allows me to do this (as fast) all while staying perfectly organized. I wish I could say I could get the same work done in Logic, Samplitude, FL but nothing is as fast as Ableton which allows my creativity to actually happen as opposed to "how to I route this there ..ect" IMHO your creativity should come first. I recommend Ableton 9 because it is VERY simple but REMEMBER, Simple does NOT necessarily mean EASY. They all take TIME to learn.

P.S it took me over a year to figure out how to add another return track in Ableton. I thought I would be stick with the 2 default A & B sends forever :rofl:

$0.02

18. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Why not Studio One?

19. Evil_Burrito

Evil_Burrito Newbie

Since you seem to like Propellerhead products didn't they make "Record" (I never personally used it) for what you are trying to do.

If it is not, Ableton, Logic, Studio One, are all great full DAWs choices. You could test some alternative audio applications like "MainStage" (this might be what you are looking for) or maybe "Renoise" (a very unique DAW with a top to bottom flow).

20. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

21. fuad

fuad Producer

+1

Garageband is dead simple, powerful and can be all you need if you're looking for basic recording and mixing.

All DAW's can do this..my suggestion is you start downloading demos for all of them and play around with each of them and see which one you're most comfortable with.
    I tend to agree with some of the view stated before that ableton live was the most intuitive to work with just because everything is layed out right in front of you. However, that being said, some things in Live are quite annoying, like delay compensation (or lack thereof), fiddly automation, lag sometimes and a few other things here and there. But overall it's a great, easy to use, and extremely powerful piece of software that was made to give you complete creative control.

Logic I found to be counterintuitive sometimes and you'll find that some things are hidden when they should be clearly laid out. But still very powerful and has great synths effects plugins.

Cubase is great for midi editing and sequencing but I find to to also be quite unclear in terms of layout.

So like I said, try them, see which one you're comfortable with and stick with it and never, ever, ever, did I say ever? worry about if you need any new crazy plugins to make great music. Work with what you have and learn the techniques, and you'll get there.