Can anyone explain what the MIDI control data in the jpg means?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by dl65875, Mar 7, 2022.

1. dl65875

dl65875 Kapellmeister

Long story short.

I have a Korg nanoKONTROL Studio set in "assignable" mode.

For those that are not familiar with the nanoKONTROL Studio, it has two modes, DAW Mode which is DAW specific with all of the various controls pre mapped to what ever your DAW might be and the other Assignable Mode where it acts as a generic controller.

When in assignable mode a user can assign their own functions to the controller - in my case I am using Cubase Pro 11 and 12. According to Korg Tech support, every function supported in DAW mode is available in Assignable mode via a DAWs Generic

The nanoKONTROL Studio has a large continuous knob that moves the cursor line backwards or forwards like a scrub except it does so with out playing any audio or midi.

In Cubase's Generic controller setup I have been able to map every control except the continuous knob but it must be possible as the controller does it when it is in DAW mode and my understanding is that it is just transmitting MIDI data. I have tried all of the different ways I can find in cubase to map it with out luck.

Using MIDI OX I have captured the MIDI data that the controller sends when you move the knob.
    See jpg 1. I move the knob two increments to the left and two to the right.

I am trying to work out what the data in the columns in MIDI Ox mean?

The timestamp column data changes when you turn the knob
    The In, Port, Status, Data 1, Chan, Note and event columns do not change
    but Data 2 changes with each increment

I have no idea what this means or how to apply in in Cubase to make the knob do what I want (smoothly move the playback cursor left or right without playing).

In jpg 2 is the MIDI settings that Korgs Kontrol Editor send to Cubase when its in DAW mode but just looking at that gives me a headache.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]