Can’t run Guitar Rig 2 on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amorphis, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Amorphis

Amorphis Member

Hello everybody, I´d like to ask for advice for the following, if anyone happens to know a solution:

I want to run Guitar Rig 2 on a Windows 10 64 bit system to be able to open some old Nuendo 4 projects from back then when I used Guitar Rig 2. Of course I have Guitar Rig 5 installed but as it´s not downward compatible, the settings I used for Guitar Rig 2 in the project would get lost if I just replace it in the plugin slot with GR 5. So I installed Guitar Rig 2 again, which I had installed last time back then on another machine which had Windows 7 running, which worked fine.
    But now, even though the installation of Guitar Rig 2 is no problem, and vst is placed where Nuendo 4 (32 bit) is seeing it, it´s not being recognized by Nuendo, and also the standalone doesn´t start in Windows. I tried pretty much all compatibility modes from Windows, but nothing, it just starts the process but the program never opens.
    Doing a little research I found someone asking in a Native Instruments forum about this, but the answer given was just that "Guitar Rig 2 was discontinued even long before Windows 10 was existing, so it doesn´t run on it". Which is not really a proper logic answer, because many old plugins run on Windows 10, even Kontakt 2 from the same company and same release period is.
    So as this answer doesn´t seem to be a very well-founded (on tested facts) one, I thought I ask you people here if anyone knows how to make this work, if ever possible.
    Or only to confirm that it´s definitely not working, so I can put that aside ;-)

Thanks!

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Best Answer
    not the simplest way around your problem, but i would go this route.
    install a "virtuel machine" on your box and install win7 and Git-rig2+nuendo4 in 32bit. bounce your "old guitar" down to audio, and bring it into your curent daw on your normal box.

bonus points for writting down the settings on the GitRig2 sound, or take a screenshot of the settings.

4. Amorphis

Amorphis Member

Thanks a lot for your answer!
    I was hoping for something more simple of course ;-)
    But I´ll keep it as a last resort to get the job done if there´s really no other way.
    I wish Native Instruments would have kept their versions compatible, or at least offer some option to retrieve the settings and copy them into a new version, although that probably would have been more a job of the Steinbergs or both together...
    Thank you again in any case! Having an option at least, however effort it takes, is always great!

5. Mud Jones

Mud Jones Platinum Record

I ran into a similar issue and just said screw it, it's not worth the time or the aggravation so I just I added a new recent amp sim and just came up with a new sound, now the song actually sounds better than the original since amp sims like everything else software related (usually) get better over time.

or not..

6. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Well, that's unfortunate. But it's also why all my DAW projects get saved a separate copy with everything bounced to audio once they're finished. Just an idea for you.

7. Amorphis

Amorphis Member

@Mud Jones: Yes, I was also doing that in some cases, just putting a newer amp sim, guitar rig 5 or something newer even. But in other cases it might be desired to really have the original sound settings, so I thought I´d give it a shot and at least ask if there´s a chance. Too bad Guitar Rig 2 won´t just run on Windows 10, since practically all old plugins I know do, at least if they are vst based.

For the same reason (reworking old projects) I am looking for an old Waves bundle release, as the current one is 64 bit only and even in the most recent 32 bit version some of the plugins that I used back then are not compatible. Maybe it´s just the name, but since it´s shell based I can not easily rename single plugins and check. So I´d love to install an old 32 bit gold/diamond etc bundle parallel to the current 64 bit one I use, in the hope they don´t conflict with each other and Nuendo can see the right names again (back then there was the word "Waves" in the name of the plugins, nowadays it´s not anymore). Unfortunately a bundle like that can be found nowhere. If anyone has a tip, can you pm me please? Thanks a lot!

@Qrchack: Yes, true. That´s a good suggestion in general...