Camera/Mic advice for making YouTube beat tutorials/production vlogging

Discussion in 'Working with Video' started by Bump, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Ok, let me see if I can make this as concise as possible and short and sweet...

I want to make a beatmaking/audio production vlog/youtube channel...

The aesthetic I am shooting for is like Boonie Mayfields (Boon Doc) documentary series...

My question is 2-part..

1 - Is there a consumer grade camera that will give me video quality in the same ballpark? Whether it's a still shot camera or camcorder doesn't matter to me (cheapest solution prefereed lol). Any suggestions?

and..

2 - I don't have a condenser mic, but I do have a couple prosumer grade pres and a couple dynamics. Would this pick up the audio fine? I'm not sure if they are using a boom mic or a shotgun.. I am sure they are.

If video remotely like the above is not possible for bottom dollar, the video below will suffice as well.

3. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Interesting post,been kinda tryin to figure out something similar myself.Any hd cam(for the most part) should get you the quality you want.I wouldn't go with a camcorder unless it has an audio line in.I'd prolly go with an hd webcam.There's a couple different ways you could do it,alot kinda depends on where your sound is coming from,like using hardware sequencers it'd be easy,you'd just connect your mic and keyboards or drum machines to your mixer(connected to line in of soundcard) or interface if that's what you're using,then just pick your line in or interface as audio source and your webcam as video source.Now if you're using software that's a whole other can of worms,especially if you use asio you have to use virtual audio cable,and a capture program,I've tried camtasia,cam studio,screencast o matic,instant demo,etc,the virtual audio cable is a bit tricky,I've still yet to get that working correctly,I think I need a setup guide or something,lol.I've managed to get sound using the default audio drivers but I think the lowest I could get latency was around 45-50ms,compared to 12ms with asio.I'd have made a few tutorials already if I could get it working right with asio.Not sure if I'm not doing something right or my onboard realtek soundcard just doesn't like it or what.As far as the mics go it should be alright using a handheld as long as they are decent,sure a condenser would be better,but they'd do the job just fine most likely.Best of luck :thumbsup:

4. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Hmmm...I'm not so sure they got the quality in the first vid with a webcam lol. That's fairly good quality video. As far as the audio, yea I don't need to screen capture or record the computer audio. I will be recording the live room sound and bringing it back in through my mixer and syncing the audio/video..I saw a few very good tutorials about this and its done relatively simply with Audacity.

5. p5ych0

p5ych0 Noisemaker

Zoom Makes great video cameras that capture GREAT audio and video. I have both the Zoom Q3 and Q3HD both are awesome
    cameras but they have a new one that is even better that has a wide angle lens and it reacords just as great. All the
    Zoom products from the H2, H4 and the Q3, Q4' all use the same XY condenser mics. The new Q4 list for $299.99 but I got
    mine from zZounds for $279 just aske them if they can do better than what its listed for...

Hope this helps

6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Any HD video source...even a good HD webcam can do it (but you need to LIGHT your room...something most ppl forget).
    And any good USB microphone, like Blue Snowball.
    You can start with your dynamics mics, and put them out of sight.

The most audio important point is to avoid internal webcam/camcorder microphone : they suck and they are far from you...and even more when you zoom your camcorder :rofl: So they pick too much ambiance and noise, and make you sound like an amateur, in a bad way.

Another solution : headphone/microphone combo. Even if you move a lot, mic will follow your mouth...but you will not use it for anything else than internet chat and online vids.

7. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Dude the Q4 is EXACTLY what will fit the bill....I was hoping to come in around $200 but damn..1080p AND 24 bit/96khz audio?

Its a no brainer...plus I was looking to film.a documentary and this would be a powerhouse for that.

The great thing is I also avoid tracking a/v separately so no sync work/drift issues.

8. p5ych0

p5ych0 Noisemaker

Another great thing with the Q4 is you can also use the line in on the camera from your
    audio source which also sounds great :)

Like I said I own the Q3, Q3HD and the Q4 and they are great little cameras... :)

Also check out this is a real good review of the Q4

9. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

Ehh....the video is REALLY good but I was a little turned off by the sound.

No doubt, it's because Joe was going from his shotgun mic to the Zoom mic....

So I ordered one of those cheap shotgun mics off of eBay ($17 USD)..they got really good reviews. That should set me up nicley. The Q4 is on it's way!