cameo word up (sounds )

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by anthony doyle, Jun 19, 2017.

1. anthony doyle

anthony doyle Kapellmeister

Hi I really like this song , looking for a lot of the sounds from this. I really like the funky bass plus synth combination from 41 seconds to 45 seconds, the bass sound by itself at 49 seconds . The background synth chords by itself at 39 seconds. I have a setting a little bit like that cool synth sound, preset name femate on the arturia v synclavier pad section. it might even be the exact setting with fiddling.

Anyone with information on how to achieve any of the sounds from this song would be appreciated, I really like the snare sound on this aswell. The horns sounds at 3.49 sound cool aswell.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. anthony doyle

I found an approximation of the slap bass sound in korg m1 vst in multi mode preset is named slap bass and is an exact replica of the Seinfeld theme tune slap bass, I think it may have been used in this song in combination with a real bass for extra low vibes combined with the punchiness and the professional clear sound of the Seinfeld theme tune bass sound.

4. Hamudi2000

Hamudi2000 Ultrasonic

when I was young (long time ago) I was playing in a cover band and we were playing this song with a Sequential Prophet 2000, Yamaha DX7 Korg EX8000, Poly61, Moog Prodigy and a Roland TR505 :D

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

The slappy sound is ye good ol' guitar with a bass, the synths are cz101 and polysix.
    Since you appear to have the korg legacy collection already, load up the polysix and go preset surfing, there are only 32 and they are the original ones afaik.

As cz101 emulator get the virtualcz and get the original sysex data from here:
    http://www.synthzone.com/midi/casio/cz101/
    and
    http://www.reocities.com/SunsetStrip/Frontrow/4877/cz101.html
    This should get you somewhere.

The track itself was played live to tape without sequencing, hence the "funkyness".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. anthony doyle

Hey thanks for all your help, I have the polysix so I will start looking and download the cz101 emulator also. Cheers traitikushi. Will look into the roland tr505 aswell for the drums . Thanks Hamudi2000. Lots of good stuff to look into.

7. anthony doyle

Hi, didn't get much time to work on this but I looked through the polysix and it has the perfect setting (setting name: P6 strings) for the strings coming in at 30 seconds up to 37 seconds , I believe its just octaves F sharp to G sharp to A and then back to F sharp. Beautiful sound, thanks for that.