Call Me Maybe Chorus Vocal Processing

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ITHertz, Mar 12, 2021.

1. ITHertz

ITHertz Kapellmeister

Hi Folks,

In another forum post there's a link to a radio show that deconstructs Call Me Maybe. I've managed to find the stems and I'm curious about the vocal processing used in the first chorus (the unison part, not the harmonized section). It seems fairly typical of "modern pop" vocal processing but I've never been able to find a good explanation of how it's done.

What I can hear is at least three vocals (LCR) and there's a delay on the C vocal. What I'm not sure about is the "glossy spatial" effect (sorry that's the only way I can describe it). To me it sounds like some sort of thickening/harmonizing/ambience - is it a particular effect? Something I notice too is that the stereo "position" of the vocal seems to shift around a lot from word to word - not sure if that's deliberate or a side-effect of something else? And it doesn't sound like a traditional room ambience.

Anyway, anyone got any thoughts on this most pop of pop confections?

Cheers!

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Recording:
    you start of with one take and then harmonize it, by adding atleast another vocal track over the first one.
    The problem is, most of the vocalists can only sing monophonic (there are a few people, which can "sing" polyphonic)
    So you end up with a more "layered vocal", which also plays a more melodic role in the track itself, it got presents.

Then you need to apply some haas FX to achieve wideness in the Mix.

I have never done that, so thats a few ideas, which i picked up from tutorials around on the sister page.

But maybe others know more ...

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I don't really like the song but the formula is worth studying. I can't believe the producer comes from an industrial background :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021