Call Me Crazy...For Color!

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by NeverenoghFun, Jul 4, 2019.

1. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

An aspergers mass murderer who will tie up joe jonas up and rape Sophie turner.

brah my multi's always have always will be dope; loiol

Here is something little more polished for ya playaaa

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Cool, good one...as I hit my pipe,,,,goodnight.

3. NeverenoghFun

Lets collaborate bud, Im pretty wide with versatility for music. Been working on this album for like 8 months straight I'd LOVE to work on anything else lol.

4. NeverenoghFun

Was watching my favorite show "Pensando's Place" and their guest Mathew Weiss had a incredible analogy of saturation.

Saturation is distortion that almost act's like photo filters, Highlighting the colors to make it more identifiable.

Thought it went along with this topic.
    Been trying to explain to my girl why saturation is so important and why I'm im constantly on the hunt for something digital to use.
    I see a WA Tone Beast in my immediate future :)

5. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Well saturation is good but its not everything. Very light saturation on each bus, which gives headroom via clipping is effective for bringing up the master as well as adding harmonics to the sound, but it needs to be used as properly as anything else...

saturation and transient modulation on the right busses and channels can do wonders though, but won't save a bad adjustment/judgment of track and buss levels, compression, eq'ing and the audio material you are working with...

6. NeverenoghFun

Absolutely true statement!
    I have been producing and engineering for about 15 years now and Just recently started getting into Saturations.
    Definitely think its a cherry on top of sundae thing
    Nobodys gonna enjoy the cherry if the ice cream is crap.

7. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I use the Tone Beast for vocals, acoustic guitars, percussion and drums, and what I find it most useful to get the sound I am looking for if I am not switching mics around is the ability to choose between the two op amps. There are nicely paired to offer the more upfront and open API 2520 vs the more evenly tempered Melcor 1731, and from there you can tune it further with different transformers, either steel or nickel. For what I've been up to I only drive the front end until the input signal tickles the yellow, but with drums I let the input hit a bit harder to let the saturation level off the fast transient lead to enjoy the compressor following a more easy time of it. The Tone Beast 12 is pretty cool. You might want to check out a Neve type pre also as the Neve circuit affects the signal in a different way and has a different saturation footprint. Try them both if you can because you will like what you hear in one more than the other.

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I mostly use Klanghelm IVGI2. It is also very useful for gain staging with it's nice VU meter and level knob. Voxengo Tube Amp and Warmifier gets some usage, too, mostly on buses, and I love the Voxengo oversampling. If you have properly recorded tracks [through hardware] you don't really need to add any more saturation, especially digital one, so I actually don't use these that much, but when you know what you need, you do it. You do what is needed to bring the mix to a higher level. :wink:

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  9. NeverenoghFun

Biiig ups to Klanghelm!
    I love their saturator and the compressor isnt to shabby ethier.