California club bans DJs who use laptops

Discussion in 'general discussion' started by Zenarcist, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Some things I'm gonna say. Those of you who know me, can predict the kind of shit I'm about to say. Those who don't know me, well, brace yourselves:
    1. What DJ doesn't use a laptop? Point to me one well known DJ that doesn't use a laptop at least every now and then! I mean, some use a controller like Traktor or something, connected to a laptop. But there's a fucking laptop involved, no? A laptop needs to control the turntable/interface. A DJ with out a laptop is like a cake without the flour, or a car without the ignition key. It just doesn't work.
    2. Take out "who use laptops". Just say "California club bans DJs".
    3. Job interviewer: "So kid, what do you do for a living?"
    DJ: "I'm a musician!"
    Job interviewer: "How generic! What instrument do you play?"
    DJ: "I rock that sexy ass "play button" in iTunes!"
    Job interviewer: "Oh so you're a DJ?"
    DJ: "I know, right? Pretty talented, huh?!"
    Job interviewer: "Well you don't qualify for this job because you obviously don't know the definition of the word 'musician'. So how do I know you won't mix the Veggie Tales plush toys (belonging in the toy department) in with the actual vegetables (food department)?"
    DJ: "Well who wouldn't eat a Larry the cucumber plush toy?"
    Job interviewer: "A lot more people than you think".

4. I hope the next massive earthquake that hits California, has an eye that's located directly under this club owner's house.
    5. By implementing this rule, the club owner just signed his own club's liquidation warrant.
    6. Half the DJs I know of, actually live in California.
    7. Did I mention DJ's aren't musicians?
    8. He should change his club name to "Spineless DJs Only". Because laptops are practically the spine of a DJ's live setup.
    9. May as well start banning gas from the gas stations, and ban alcohol from bars too while we're at it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. mageye

mageye Producer

I think , as impressive as you are. perhaps you think too much. I am not guilty of that sin. If you really want to speak seriously about what is really happening in this world then you are welcome to ask. But BS no thanks right now.

And yes that is a DIRECT CHALLENGE TO YOU MR. IMPRESS BOY RIGHT NOW.

Let everybody know how much you care about everybody then.

GIVE me ten out of ten.

So you are one of those that plays with stuff and thinks you are a DJ. That is so pathetic. I can't believeve you are taken seriously in convo. That's Toto mento. What can you do that's any good. I mean, at least I have good old mahivo(dick). WHat do you have? You hAve nothing. Tell me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  3. statik

statik Audiosexual

but there are plenty of musicians who are dj's, and those musicians will always be musician first and dj second, it's almost never the other way around

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. mageye

mageye Producer

Oh dear. I might just be bored into bed. I will not go so innocently without saying that everyone has their little bit of responsibility when it comes down to letting the 'forces that be' take kontrol of this little old word that we live in. So as it happens there is truth and there is BS. I KNOW which side I am on. Ladies and tother ones.

One can be either a witness or one of the others. But believe me If you are capable of independent thought you will be the next. Please do not let the globalist Korpoate elite win. I have much faith in people and (especially music). I will keep being human because that is what matters.

5. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I must admit, I once DJ'd for a little while under the alias DJ Bas5 Jump3r as a side job from producing/playing in a live band. People can make some pretty good money from it per show depending on how good and well known they are. It was fun. Could I live off it though? No way. Then I just moved on to bigger/better things.

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i dont see anything worth watching a guy playing music on a stage. but i blame the people paying for it, with them prerecorded sets became possible and djs without skill (if djing in the current state is actual a skill).

again what happens with a musician using a notebook for his performance like creating a beat and add some synthlines with a midi controller for that a notebook is essential. (this is actual talent!)
    or lets say a guitar playing using his notebook to add effects to his guitar with NI Guitar Rig.

but why do i go crazy on this, it doesnt tangent my world in light years ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Impressive

Impressive Guest

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin.
    The stupid people in large groups made these DJs famous. They made the EDM scene as big as it is, "artists" like Iggy Azalea, Nicki Minaj, and Lil Wayne are famous "musicians" when they can't even play an instrument. I've never understood fear because there isn't really anything that scares me. But what worries me a bit is when we have a society that can turn a worthless loser into a multi million dollar celebrity for unjust reasons. Look at the Kardashians. Why are they famous? What did they do? They have fake plastic asses that look like they're gonna gobble up the solar system like a supermassive black hole. "Big bad wolf 430N is a supermassive black hole that's 794 millitrillion times the size of the sun!".
    But then you have actual musicians who play like 15 different instruments and they go completely unnoticed. And then you have these kind people who can talk a person out of killing themselves just by giving them a hug and saying "I care a lot about you", and even those kind individuals live in poverty. If I had a say, I would make it so the world would be run by people like that. In the US, our wounded veterans are treated like shit. They come home and they die waiting for the help they need. Meanwhile we have people like Iggy Azalea and Kim Kardashian who have all this luxury for what? Having big fake tits? You have gotta be kidding me.
    When so much of the population is comprised of stupid people, expect a really messed up world.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. foster911

foster911 Guest

10. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

God I love winding DJ's up, its too easy
    1. if your a dj at a club you are Probably not a musician. your job is to keep the dance floor filled
    2. If your a DJ and you make your own beats and play your own songs, which im sure your using samples of others music you are probably not a Musician
    3 if your a DJ and you make the music you play as a DJ, your probably a fraud musician when it comes to live performance.(like a lot of the music industry)
    4. electricity , do you need it ? if you can't play your songs without it your probably not a musician.
    5. that being said I've seen some cats do crazy stuff with 2 turn tables and a mixer scratching. they are probably musicians.
    but beat matching and cross fading , your just an engineer at that point same goes for people that use loops and samples. engineer yes Musician probably not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

12. foster911

foster911 Guest

13. onekutcha

onekutcha Ultrasonic

I agree, only because this imbecile owner is also a DJ. Most probably he is defending his old DJ vinyl craft with it being a perfect Luddite.
    I am also working for a club where I do sound engineering where the owner is smart enough not to interfere with the business of sound reinforcement and in general with anything that is related to the sound quality of the club. He let me deal with it and although this club is still kind of new, but growing steadily as the sound quality is getting better at every occasion. It is still not there yet sound quality wise what I am aiming for, but since this club is still new they have just began to generate some healthy profit so the owner slowly but surely can invest into treatments and better equipments following my advice. He LISTENS and try not to control what he doesn’t really understand. He deals with the club business wise and other general things. That is why I say and why I said that this moron club owner-DJ Luddite should not interfere with things that he clearly doesn’t have a clue about and to top it off he is also regressive.
    Honestly I should probably care less about what he does with his club as he can destroy it in a matter of few months, it is his business after all, I just simply have pointed out some things that should be an exemplary “No, no!” in any reputable club scene. Let the DJ do his things and provide him/her everything that would help the sound quality and to create a great show as after all that is what matters the most to make a club successful. Yes, it is called good music. No, not food! Food comes probably second or no, that comes third as second is lighting!
    Although, when I was playing some regular gigs at some live venues where the place also served food to the guests when it was busy some moron club owners always pointed out the food, like: “Yeah, it is busy because of the good tasty food. But, when it was not busy, these very same owners usually blamed the music not being good enough. Hahahahahaa…. Fortunately there aren’t too many of these kind of owners and most of them are actually either out of the club business or they stagnate terribly and struggling to at the least break even in a given month. Music , great music coupled with great sound quality is the magical mixture that makes a club a good club and not a dinner place as for that food is obviously more important, but we are talking about clubs and not restaurants.

14. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

I'll back you up on that @statik I have a brother and sister, both of whom are popular DJ's. One of them is an award-winning classical musician and composer. The other one has never learnt, nor ever will learn, the art of musicianship.

What each of them has learned to an equal degree is stagecraft; i.e. put on a show for the punters, generate some cash for the club owners and get paid upfront for the effort.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

searingly true... that's a million dollar quote there...so sad, but so true,
    even so I don't feel any envy for these types Lardassian or otherwise, and as for
    Kanye Worst does he have talent? He is such a putrid waste of flesh.. and has been ever since I can remember seeing him
    I admit I never even got around to listening to his "music", and i will never pay a penny for any of it, or get it free for that matter, unfortunately can't avoid seeing Kim's a55 and bush everywhere.. :)

as far as DJ's in clubs, well if it is just one club, and he is the owner, the DJ's still have a lot
    of other clubs to go work in Cali. One a-hole doing this is an aberration, or is it catching on
    in all of the states ? They are telling us guys can walk into a woman's restroom nowadays,
    if he happens to "feel" like a woman at that particular moment, so it wouldn't surprise me
    if some idiot is pushing legislation to ban all laptops from nightclubs.. :lmao:

Wonder if this is why Steve decided to "retire" :bleh:

p.s. if you read the club owner's comments, it doesn't appear he is banning computers in toto,
    and he notes a couple of instances where he thinks they are appropriate. In that regard
    he is simply an owner deciding to how to best run his business, if the majority of club goers
    feel he is a dick for doing this, then his business will fail, ain't the free market beautiful?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  16. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Man, ain't guitar snobs the worst? I'm quite ashamed that the significant part of guitar player community are like this. They usually go nowhere though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

18. Dread_J

Dread_J Kapellmeister

je trouve que guetta joue avec son ego .... anyway :dunno:

19. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Man, if I've ever heard stagnancy from a band it's prodigy. Yeah, ok, and red hot chili peppers.

20. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

it's not about stagnancy. stagnancy is a time for creativity, time to have a good rest after game-changing era like they were doing during the 90s (1990-1997).
    IMHO this thread about lazy DJs who download ready mixes or mix ready tracks downloaded from the net and "do their job/work" in front of hundreds/thousands people...and earning good money, becoming more popular...but the tracks they use in their mixes not made by these DJs...artist/producers/engineer who made tracks are nobody, but DJs are more popular and get good mood on it...that's why I hate DJ culture, and even "laptop-USB sticks" DJ generation...But I still respect DJ culture playing on vinyl - Old skool method of DJing, old skool sound quality, they buy vinyls and collect them.
    Now DJing is a shit.
    It's like to be a "pro photographer" with iPhone 6s 13-megapixel camera + photoshop + "I only post photosessions on instagramm and facepalmbook"
    Or music making on iPad, and mastering on Apple iDevices with IK Multimedia Lurssen Mastering Console etc.
    Years later I think there will be no more "USB-sticks DJs"...I think WI-FI will be everywhere and DJ can download or play online the uploaded ready-mixed set right thru WI-FI and any users' soundcloud pages....Imagine me playing in front of whole Ibiza, playing from laptop tracks uploaded to soundcloud or so...It is not DJing, it's MDLJing (music downloading jockey)...it's not stagnancy, it's fking laziness and easy work to earn money...rogues

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List