Cakewalk Closing up Shop!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by dondada, Nov 21, 2017.

1. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

So am I.... :(

I am also a user since version 1. I still have the disquette. It was during Windows 3.1 era. There was also a DOS version that I never used though, I was rather using Voyetra Gold on DOS for my "road PC".

Memories... :-(

2. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

First Sequencer I came in touch with on PC (Win3.11), farewell old friend

Attached Files:

3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sonar will probably have a new owner within a few months. Its too big of a name and has too many users to just die.

Though its obvious the music industry is changing rapidly.
    The world we grew up with is dying.
    Guitar gods and heroes, great bands, they are not being replaced. Young people just dont play instruments like we did, today its all about instant fake fame ala facebook, instagram, permanent knowledge has no value its all about living fast these days.
    Young people dont have the patience as we did, talking generally but you know its true.
    Hence when i said the guitar is dead a few months ago, people were laughing. Its not dead but its fucked and its going to get worse.
    Sonar is just a collateral victim of the poor guitar sales and an uneven, unpredictable market.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Eris Locaj

Eris Locaj Member

Never liked CAKEWALK Anyway ...

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

And you are liked by whom exactly ?... Oh i know, the other guys who didn't like cakewalk... :bleh::bleh::bleh:

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I am not exactly a fan of Microsoft either (pretty much I don't need to use any Microsoft products anymore by now),
    but let's take a look on the issue from this perspective:
    in order to make a really superior DAW, a tight integration with operating system is essential, so if Microsoft would support such DAW devs beyond standard levels, then it might result in good thing, who knows...

bugs and constant updates needed are matter of inefficient, tacky and fragmented inconsistent dev team (take a look at Cockos Reaper, there are literally no issues arising with frequent updates, because the few devs know what each of them is doing and they let users hunt for bugs at huge userbase scale - that's something Microsoft is wishing for when they giveaway Windows 10 for free)

speaking of any nowadays DAW burdened by its long history (Sonar, Cubase, ProTools etc..), no sane dev would ever consider buying them for anything else but trademarks, logos, names, branding, hype and to eliminate competition - tech has been advancing so fast that adopting application code for further development is waste of time and money

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Lol, havent read so much nonsense in a while.
    Let me guess what you use, the studio standard, Reaper?
    Cubase right now is ahead of the competition, try other daws, i did, i dont care for the brand. Right now cubendo is at least five years ahead of the competition and im not even exaggerating.
    Would switch daws today if i saw any other daw offering more than cubendo.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

So Apple was insane buying Emagic ? Or was this (2002) a million technological years ago in your book please? How about Yamaha buying Steinberg for 28.5mil in 2005.
    Ms are not devs, neither would logically be any who would buy such an ip. They employ devs among other peeps. The cost for Ms to buy Cakewalk is about the same in analogy like you buying a couple of oranges. If MS wanted to compete with Apple on the DAW field, the easiest way for them would be to acquire the whole Cakewalk team and ips and move forward, just as Apple "bought" the Logic dev team along with the ip.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

These 3 along with Logic (and perhaps Digital Performer too) are the industry standards. This means everything else is by default measured in comparison to these. What you say makes absolutely no sense at all.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Jeff Maneville

Jeff Maneville Ultrasonic

> There was also a DOS version that I never used though, I was rather using Voyetra Gold on DOS for my "road PC".

Ha, dude, you're old :) That's exactly what I was using many many years ago. Actually, Voyetra Gold on DOS was pretty nice for it's day. I, too, still have the disquettes.

Flashes from the past.

11. zpaces

zpaces Producer

They dream big! They are def. NOT "leader in music software"! I know so many musicians, producers and studios and none of them use cakewalk software. When I was studying audio engineering, Cakewalk was never mentioned as an industrial worth DAW!

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Now this is funny. Because, oops whats this?
    https://www.cakewalk.com/Page/Learn-SONAR-Online-with-Berklee
    What school did you say you attended again?

https://www.cakewalk.com/Artist

I mean what is wrong with you people denying the obvious. Jeez, i am not even a keen Sonar user lol. I prefer mixing in Cubase and mastering in Wavelab/SF. Sonar though has some feats, no other 64bit DAW has atm. I will not sit and write which, ask me though and i will.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. zpaces

zpaces Producer

LOL you really believe this artist shit!? They may got in touch with that DAW, but generally like everyone else, their testimonials were bought! Apart from that, 27 listed artists... wow! Must be the whole music industry! I mean, really!?

I made my diploma on a great university, who know which DAW is working in the industry! And it's not Sonar!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

You mean the save icon? :rofl:

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Aaah , so your university which remains unnamed, is great, and Berklee doesn't know sht.

No. But they have their names there. Hmmm...do you think they secretly do FL studio ? And by replying no, i mean i don't believe anything for anyone and this goes for anything. You said none of who you know uses Sonar. I showed some who claim to use it oficially.
    It is your saying without any proof against an official page with names. So if i was to believe someone, that would not be you. Let alone i personally know a bunch of recording artists who use Sonar :rofl:

16. DJK

DJK Rock Star

its a shame that cakewalk is closing up, i used it from version 8.5, then sonar x and platinum,i have to say i never got on with it,think i only completed 1 track in sonar which was then added to a movie scene in amsterdam heavy, it has got some nice features, but they are hard to master and the GUI always felt to cluttered for my liking, but for the existing sonar users its a shame, lets hope a company buys them out and seperate from gibson.

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

they are industry standards only because they are oldest and therefore had biggest potential to spread into studios and schools at times computers started being used in pro audio world,
    there is no major functionality advantage using those daws, it's mostly about convenience of workflow :)

18. safran5020

Hey man, you shouldn't say "you're old", you should say "Oh! so you are an experienced mature men..."
    I guess it includes you too based on your passed experience with Voyetra :yes:!

19. safran5020

I still have my plastic disquette case in which I used to carry all my MC-500 performence sets on 1.44MB 2SHD "double density" 3.5 disk. And this was before the PC era and Voyetra (a couple of years before).
    Yep, like the other guy said: "I'm old..." :guru:

I guess most SONAR users are former users of previous Cakewalk products which pertain to a specific generation.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  20. TW

TW Guest

I actually know 2 recording studios in my area that use sonar and 3 with pro tools. - And by recording studio i mean a "real" studio. With a console, nice hardware and at least 1 real well designed live/recording room. Oh and all of them got a copy of reaper somewhere XD.

If you record your stuff and you are on windows - protools and sonar are your daws (reaper allways works somehow ;) ).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List