Cakewalk Closing up Shop!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by dondada, Nov 21, 2017.

1. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

In 10-15 years the only two "daws" in existence will probably be "Live VR Music Production Suite" by Facebook and "Advanced AI Music Maker" by Google

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Config

Config Kapellmeister

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Look at Avid a few years back. Maybe to much focus on marketing trying to please share holders.
    Good product at fair pricing will usually stand the test of time.

Gison had XLN Audio for a time. No obvious mention of Gibson on site at moment. May in license agreement if still involved.

Samplitude went from Sek'd to Magix.
    Pro tools went from Digitech to Avid
    Sonic foundry went to Sony and now Magix.

I'm sure there are other change overs that I am missing.

4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

One day, everything is normal, the next day everybody dies.

Capitalism at its best. Again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Gibson starting to got me disliking em with this kind of corp venture stuff. Now they are on to Philips. Sonar is really a solid DAW. Gibson just not good at doing its corp stuff.

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I saw Microsoft was looking for some devs to make own DAW,
    maybe Sonar by now is closest solution, since the Windows 10 compatibility integration was fairly good and quick

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. dondada

dondada Rock Star

link?

i wasnt a sonar user but i love their synths
    especially rapture is a beast
    Obligatory pisces link

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

9. x-man

x-man Member

#SAVECAKEWALK.jpg
    #savecakewalk Go vent or make suggestions or woo a company to acquire it on twitter. Share, like & retweet. Let's at least get it trending. With enough eyes on the issue maybe a solution could present its self.

10. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

All software and hardware companies better wise up
    If your focus is only on $5000 applications and Hardware eventually you run out of users compared to the billions of the masses out there.
    Apple of all companies learned this the hard way, F the Pro's and focus on mass sales.

Many Corporations are going bust in the next couple of years as the economy worldwide is shifting.
    Germany for example are making a move on Electronics Exports to the USA in a direct war with the USA corporations.

Germany got Europe and their goal of taking over is complete. They dictate financial policies of all the Euro Zone countries and he who controls the Money Supply of a Nation cares not what laws that Nation passes.

11. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

If any of this were true:

"Cakewalk has been an industry leader in music software for over 25 years by fusing cutting-edge technology with creative approaches to tools that create, edit, mix, and publish music for professional and amateur musicians..."

...well then, you wouldn't be going out of business!

Truth be told... they were an industry chaser. Trying to keep up with the actual "cutting-edge" wizards which is why they fell short. That plus the fact that Philips AND Gibson itself are dying animals doesn't help their "focused on growth in the global consumer electronics audio business" any.

I really hate to see this happen because the pressure of creating new technology without competition-driven-motivation will lead to a stagnation of technology... which actually began several years ago. The only ones getting better at technology are the criminals/hackers.

The end is near and when the internet goes down... I'll be laughing to the bank (which is in a vault underneath my basement!)...

12. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

If i were you i would start drilling my basement just in case...
    The only ones getting better at technology are the criminals/hackers. :mates:

13. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

You forgot Garageband by Apple

14. Philby

Philby Member

Cakewalk's focus used to be on midi but when SONAR was introduced they started chasing audio. But still they eventually came up with what I consider the best midi editing tools and the multitrack piano roll. I do virtual instruments so the midi to vsti thing was what kept me on SONAR. Reaper just doesn't connect with my nervous system and Ableton gives me a headache. So I will miss Cakewalk but at least I have a DAW that I can use for the next ten years if need be.

Thing is though, I started not liking SONAR again after 8.5.3 but eventually warmed up to it. Glad they both run in 64bit Win7

15. Slapdash

Slapdash Kapellmeister

Nevermind, Sonar really isn't great you know? It's way down on the lower end (below cubase and protools and protools isn't great!), and that's from a former Cakewalk user back in the late 90s when it was really quite cool on windows... before I went to cubase.

The thing is, Studio One Pro is out there, it's the best DAW in the world (that's not an opinion), it's slick, it's cool to work with, it has some really cool features, it looks better and it's out there waiting on a sister site.

Sonar users should take this news as the push to move to a better DAW - Studio One, it's easy as anything to learn and accelerates workflow massively AND sounds better than anything else thanks to consoleshaper which works (like mixbus but better) on the summing/audio engine not just like other console emus.

My music improved 10 fold moving from protools/cubase over to Studio One.

Do it! Do it now and get a head start. It's the new standard™

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  16. Slapdash

Slapdash Kapellmeister

What special magic can Sonar do? from what I've seen the few times I've attempted to like it sucks massively vs Studio one, Cubase and even Pro Tools (which itself is quite sucky).

As for reaper? spare me, what a horrible piece of software, more for the nerdy customisers than musicians/engineers. Studio One is what you want, stop ignoring it. It's like the best of protools, cubase and others in one + stuff they can't/don't do + has the best workflow in the DAW world (takes a week tops to get to grips and even has keyboard shortcuts you can select if coming from another DAW).

I'll never understand why people stick with lesser software when the world has moved on, that includes ProTools, Reaper and esp Sonar.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  17. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

When i tried last Sonar official demo version...installer crashed.
    After installer worked right...program itself crashed.
    I'm serious.

Ableton : no problem
    Studio One : no problem

Protools is still a software from the 80's
    Cubase is very nice...but not so stable
    Reaper : linux like daw -> headache
    FL Studio : nice, but a strange workflow for sure. Not for me
    Logic : probably going to be abandoned like Aperture

So finally : Ableton and S1 for me, for different job
    PS : only my point of view ;) I totally understand why ppl prefer other DAWs

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. tooloud

tooloud Guest

What happened to one company, one talented individual with a vision remaining committed to the one thing they do best? What business did a company steeped in tradition have acquiring a software company? Might as well have bought a failing airline and started GibsonAir.

19. dondada

dondada Rock Star

live, Fl, and CubEndo, Protools rule the market by numbers
    sorry but s1 isnt in the top5 at all.

even bitwig has better midi:no:

20. Boosire

Boosire Producer

So cute.
    Good chuckle.
    Studio One is awesome but, pardon the image, you can't rationally find the best ice cream flavour in the world, unless you do.... and then it becomes a subjective opinion. Poof.