Cakewalk Announces New Sonar plus Monthly Payment Model

Discussion in 'DAW' started by theDingus, Jan 15, 2015.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

[​IMG]

SONAR is more than just a digital audio workstation - it's the most advanced music production experience available
    today. We've completely changed the way our software is developed by introducing a Membership program that
    offers continuous updates to the program including new features, improvements, fixes, content, and video tutorials
    that guide you along in the process. And thanks to the new Cakewalk Command Center, we've made the installation
    and update process a breeze so you can focus on what's truly important - making music.

[​IMG]

SONAR now boasts a powerful new line up designed to meet the needs of any musician, regardless of skill level or
    budget. And every version includes 12 months of membership meaning you will always get the latest and greatest
    version no matter when you make your purchase. Craft your very own masterpiece today with the most enjoyable DAW
    in the industry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXYFkzgp-g | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLB7q2nV8KY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rek3wGXcdZI | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-wFsWI7qE

[​IMG]

MORE INFO: Cakewalk | Sonar

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

haha nice model, so you spend $500 for the big package, which makes one DAW major version price.
    this way you can hide it to earn more money. clever idea.

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yeah I've seen that but I can't find info about the update policy in case you buy Sonar Platinium, or is it that you have to pay 500 a year?? :wow:

5. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

So that's 20% APR
    Not suprised they think it's a good idea
    wouldn't be 500 a year if their offering discounted membership renewals, however only 12 month support and no updates after a year after a major DAW purchase , sort of getting into waves territory here
    Ha you don't have to give it back if ceasing membership, how nice of them

6. LunaX

LunaX Member

Being a Sonar user I would like to say only one thing - FIX the damn clinical crashing.

Sonar crashes.

As long as crashing is a feature of this DAW no one will buy/upgrade it twice. Once bitten twice shy..right!!

It crashes on me at-least two-three times per session. I have to silently keep praying to Almighty every-time I pull up a new VST or Plugin..I get "sound engine has stopped" errors everytime I export tracks..The only way to fix this is fast bounce..

Its sad that such an intuitive DAW has the biggest flaw - it Crashes..

Sonar = Crashes.. :grooves:

7. LunaX

LunaX Member

[​IMG]

Look at stupidity of their marketing team. That they have the audacity to demand users 20 USD every month for the rest of their lives shows how much they know about how the world works. Thanks OP for this. I was planning on upgrading but now I am thinking otherwise..

I wonder what they were thinking -

Professional studio - Pro Tools

Serious artists - Studio One, Live, Reaper etc

Hobbyists - Sonar???

Certainly there aren't many willing to pay 20 USD forever for a hobby..

What if the hobbyist doesn't feel like hobbying for 12 months and then wants to hobbyhobby again..that means paying 240 USD again..hah

There is nothing in the world that warrants this kind of membership - no amount of samples, tutorials, fixes or cloud-storage can be that demanding..

Fck you sonar

8. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

new customers will get free updates for 12 months, then you have to pay monthly

they have obviously been looking at others doing the same, microdaft office365 and adobe creative cloudless spring to mind :dunno:

customers getting screwed buying under developed software and then having to pay to get updates, and I bet there will be monthly updates all the time from now on :rofl:

9. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Gogol i to had that problem when i was using a usb m-audio device ! But since i changed to a focus rite firewire, a lot less crashes, so may be a driver issue? Dunno

10. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Went to a Seminar yrs ago when Sonar was being developed, Home of Aka Steve Tyler/ Aerosmith The Cars, Boston and many other Big Bands also theres about 8 guys that built this Daw All Berkley Grads
    Super talented Musicians, watched this Daw Grow Rapidly and still being updated daily with vast improvements So rockon Cakewalk u were installed on my first ibm 386 pc computer along with Band in the box
    wich were created in the Pc beginning error with Steinberg :mates:

11. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Somebody needs your money! -.-"
    Are they serious about this? My favourite DAW falls down, unbelievable... :dunno:

12. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Hmm... Maybe you don't get that unlike with Microsoft and Adobe you can keep using the software after your "membership", just without free updates (well, upgrades actually).

With the old model it was something like this for 4 years:
    2010: X1 Producer: USD 599
    2012: X2 Upgrade: USD 199
    2013: X3 Upgrade: USD 199
    Total: USD 997

Now with the new model:
    2015: Sonar Platinum: USD 499
    2016: No renewal (no new features you need): USD 0
    2017: New membership: USD 199
    2018: Renewal: USD 199
    Total: USD 897

Looks cheaper for me. And you can also decide yourself when to upgrade to a new version.

Br,
    Olaf

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Olaf You got a point

14. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

The good thing is that they are lunching MAC versions too :wink:

15. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm sure other devs will be watching closely as well.

[​IMG]

16. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

Cakewalk = DAW Gestapo

17. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

The thing to do would be to get your membership just before a new version came out, that way you get the old version with all the fixes and a hopefully stable version, and then the newer version with several months of updates before your membership runs out

18. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

I think you guys misread. They have the upfront plan which is like a standard buying, you don't pay monthly and get full activation.
    But to me the DAW looks like a dumbed-down Cubase.

19. old school shred

old school shred Noisemaker

I plan on upgrading it is my main daw and I will pay the $149 and take the free upgrading I get over the next 12 months and the free add packs as well. I am concerned what will happen in 12 months though because I probably will not upgrade then for at least another year so I give them time to develop it more and then upgrade for whatever deal they offer that is discounted because then they will probably be giving me 12 months more of free upgrades and I will get 2 upgrades for the price of one again.

20. LunaX

LunaX Member

trust me, its not that simple..

suppose my subscription runs out in Dec and they update the Daw in Jan or Feb..I would be unceremoniously screwed..don't' you think?

secondly I pay rent, water+gas+power bills, newspaper bills, telephony bills, internet bills...loan repayment, insurance...i am fed up..now I pay a DAW bill..wtf??

finally, these guys are setting a precedent..if this succeeds then this may well be the future of software..i am betting nobody wants it..

imagine a world where i am paying - pdf reader bills, win rar bills, OS bills, MS office bills...

Software should be a COMMODITY and not a UTILITY..pardon my economics :mates: