Cableguys Shaperbox 3 Info Submitting Timebomb

Discussion in 'Software' started by DontKnowJack, Mar 5, 2023.

1. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Anybody using a MOCHA or TCD version of Cableguys Shaperbox 3.x that gives you the faded out screen timebomb? Just a heads up that if you click the plugin after it fades, it sends all this info about you:

Code:
    cableguys.com/web_app.py?page_name=welcome&architecture=<YOUR CPU TYPE>&buildhash=<XXXXXXXXX>&hardkey=<XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX>&host=<YOUR DAW>&hostfile=<YOUR DAW EXE>&init=<XXXXXXXXXX>&license=<LICENSE TYPE>&licensekey=<LICENSE KEY>&pluginhash=<HASH>&product=ShaperBox3&shapers=<XXXXX>-filter-T<XXXXX>-time-<XXXXXXX>-volume-<XXXXX>-pan-<XXXXX>-width-<XXXX>-oscilloscope-<XXXXX>-crush-<XXXXX>-liquid-<XXXXXX>-noise-<XXXXX>-driver-<XXXX>-compressor-<XXXXX>-curve-<XXXXXX>-halftime-<XXXXX>-sidechain-<XXXXX>-trim-<XXXX>&system=<YOUR OS>&version=3.X.X&wrapper=VSTX
    If you add the plugin to a new track, it will work for a bit but will timebomb eventually so one workaround is to just bounce your track out to another audio track as soon as you apply a filter then remove the plugin from the track.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

If you use warez, you should use a good firewall , obviously.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's an outbound solicitation on an http or https port number. depending on the firewall ruleset/level of paranoia, that could maybe get through. I would probably just add them to my hosts file to be sure.

5. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Definitely. However, these Shaperbox rips require you to sync to the Cableguys server to download the initial filter/preset settings which is a little harrowing to begin with.

6. Worn Soles

Worn Soles Ultrasonic

The Mocha 3.11 release doesn't require you to connect to the internet to get presets. I had 640 presets listed after installing and have never connected. All work except the ones that require the noise shaper module. Those presets are different and use separate wave samples which I don't think are included.

Most likely when you tried to update is when it blacklisted itself.

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

That's a personal choice, but I never use releases that imply to connect to developer's site, as you never know what could developers change in there part once they know what's going on.

In this particular case, MOCHA's release is a better solution.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

My firewall is set to tell me about any new connection attempt and let me decide. So nothing get through.
    Once you "educate " your firewall with rules, there are not so much alerts, but you're protected.
    I'm actually using Evorim free firewall.

9. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

I downloaded the noise samples then blocked in hosts and everything works fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

yeah me too, never had problem since Shaperbox 2 that I also updated the preset list online then block in the firewall. About the Noise files you only need to do it once, then you can backup all the files incase you needed to do clean update of new TCD release or better, just install over previous installation. I use Shaperbox 3 a lot, everyday. No timebomb so far. 6 months now I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. ProgBass

ProgBass Member

I put them into the hosts file and my malwarebytes windows firewall program where all outbound connections are blocked if not explicitly allowed. I used FL Portable on my older notebook with a VPN to get the sound files and had no issues until now. I figured that if cableguys knew the request to download the sound files came from a plugin without a legit license they wouldn't have let me download them in the first place. Btw I tried to add the sound files from the older mocha release manually first but the plugin did not recognize them.

12. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Yeah adding it to the hosts file seems to mitigate the problem. I've ran into this timebomb in the past but it's worked seamlessly for a good while now.

13. rlkrlk

rlkrlk Newbie

Hey, apologies if this is a stupid question or if its been answered somewhere else, but how does one add shaperbox to the host files with the native windows 11 firewall, if at all possible ? been looking around for a step by step on how to do it but can't seem to find it, maybe i'm just bad at searching .. i've been running into this timebomb issue as well and would like to avoid it in the future

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

If you do not ever go to their website, you should block it using your hosts file. https://www.howtogeek.com/784196/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-windows-10-or-11/#:~:text=The hosts file is the,administrative permissions to edit it.

This way it is not application or PID# specific. It's for the entire Windows install. No programs, plugins, browser or otherwise will open cableguys.com. Your firewall can be application specific based on your ruleset. So a browser may not connect, but a plugin in your DAW may. The traffic originates from a different PID # (process ID).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. rlkrlk

rlkrlk Newbie

thanks for that fast answer ! will do

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you hit the "sync" presets button accidentally, it will lock you out of it also, on Mac. I did it twice before I gave up and let it stay in demo mode. All that means is you cannot save presets. I looked forward to the v3 update of it, and I am back to using 2 in most cases anyway.

17. Kunter2011

Kunter2011 Ultrasonic

Did you try Cableguys ShaperBox 3 v3.5 [WiN] release?

18. Stewart Daniels

Stewart Daniels Ultrasonic

Being that I have a few craks installed, I have my Wifi disabled on bootup.

No internet while in production mode. 100% foolproof. Shaperbox 3 never flaked out in 4 months of use, and I'm about to install the 3.5 update.

My firewall/HOSTS are properly configured, but just as a safety net to accidentally being connected while in production. Just turn that sh*t off and create.

19. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Yes, and it suggests you sync to server to grab all the presets, wavetables, noises, whatever, etc.
    Since I have my DAW firewalled, I loaded the VST3 in another plugin host and synced it up from there.