C minor (1:45) intro with full lead

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Saudade, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Saudade

Saudade Newbie

Intro with full leads:

http://soundcloud.com/thesaudade/c-minor-2-new

I've been producing probably since the beginning of winter break, so since december 20th ish, but I've had a musical background and know a bit of music theory.

VSTs used: Gladiator, Sylenth1, Albino Alpha, Massive, some EQ plugin forgot which

Used Ableton. Any advice, thoughts, critiques, quesitons are welcome :)

3. thekrell

thekrell Newbie

Hello, Saudade. This isn't a bad start at all. There are several ways to improve this, but I'll address the first major thing I noticed.

There's a tendency to add, add, add more and more with electronic music, and certainly building up tracks sounds great and adds interest.
    This could even use more, in my opinion (particularly FX), but only provided that things are taken away at times, headroom made, and silence used.
    Like a good painter/drawer/photographer makes use of negative space, You can add great depth and interest by taking sound away.
    Your sections glide right into one another, without building enough anticipation or excitement. For example, there should be silence just before that drop.
    Drop a couple tracks out slowly as you approach it, then all of them, so that bringing them back in altogether sounds more powerful.
    Sidechain to your kick, because right now it gets muddy, and then gets lost. Use EQ to remove anything unnecessary on each track. Low-pass your kick and other bass.
    Roll off the bass (low-cut/high-pass) on every other track. All those unnecessary bits add up, even the quiet ones.

I'd highly suggest viewing the Dance Music Production DVD's: DMP Anthology

Now, I'm not saying that you should make cookie-cutter music (far from it). But I do believe that when new to a craft, it's good to practice by the rules
    before you go off and intentionally break them all. That said, dance music has structure that is more widely adhered to than most other genres, because
    if you want DJ's to play it, it's got to adhere to some conventions. But that's another tangent I could go off on.

Good luck! :wink:

4. Rolma

Rolma Guest

I might like something like that 4 me or by me!