bx_console SSL 4000E on sale

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zenarcist, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I was interested in the recent Neve N console, but something wasn't quite right with the saturation to my ears, so I thought I would wait for the SSL E model. All the consoles are now on offer again this weekend. I've got two vouchers which would bring the net price down to $104.

It seems like a simple solution for mixing in Reaper, and the gain is working quite well when driven. I was thinking of using some Acustica Neve plugins to dirty things up at the input stage, or as the old saying goes track on Neve, mix on SSL.

I'm trying to simplify my workflow, hence limiting the number of plugins I use. I'm not sure if this is the best combination, but I will continue testing over the weekend. At least my virtual synths are now sounding better :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Will test Duende, Satson and Scheps 73 today.

Has anybody else been down this console emulation road?

4. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

At these days I'm working with Waves plugins,I discover them again.I'm careful with gain staging,I always use Klanghelm VU meter,and I find the Scheps 73 awesome.And more largely all Waves good.
    Its mic preamp sounds good to my ears,I use it on every drum track.
    And when you click on the "drive" button it transforms the preamp saturation in distortion,this algorithm is so dangerous! It can give some very good results,I love it.
    Its 3 band EQ + HP sounds good to shape your sound,but often you need a full parametric EQ to fine tune your sound.I use the Fabfilter Pro-Q in this case.

When I need preamp saturation I often use the Soundtoys Radiator,it sounds so sweet to my ears!But it is CPU hungry,it is really unfortunate on big projects.

The relatively new Waves Scheps Omnichannel has very nice preamp section too,it has even and odd harmonics separately,they sound very good too.But the others modules -Gate,Compressor,EQ- are common and not especially interesting to me.

I would love try the Brainworx SSL E,I read a lot of customers who like it a lot.

However I have tried many times the SSL Duende plugins and I don't find them good.

5. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

You can download the full demo if you want to try it. Same with Acustica, I'm testing 3 of their channel strips. In fact, I am now curious about the SSL G Console, so I've installed that one too. They have some discount codes which are valid until Monday if you are interested.

So, SSL E vs G, which is best for what? I know the E model has less headroom and is easier it distort. Check this video to hear how the effect sounds hot and flat - https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/ho...w-it-sounds-across-a-mix-running-hot-and-flat

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

G-EQ has proportional Q, E-EQ constant. Means G is more surgical and better to use with high dB values, E more musical.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018