Buying UAD Plugs Pre-Registered on cards..

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zapa, Jun 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Zapa

Zapa Newbie

Ok apologies if this is the wrong place. I have been offered to buy Uad Octo Satellite 2 Thunderbolt with the ultimate 7 bundle pre-registered on there at a good price, from a friend of a friend. I understand i won't own the plugs and i will be unable to update them in the future. Just wanted to know everyones thoughts? do the cons outweigh the Positives? What risks will i be under here? What can stop him from un-registering the card later and me being stuck with unregistered plugs? He assures me that if i want to buy future unreleased plugs we can split the cost on them together etc. But i trust no-one, so what precautions could i take to future proof this? Is it really worth it?

3. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

I can't tell if you should trust or not the guy, but on the pratical side, you'll need to both have access to the UAD account if you want to share licence. Both his card and your will be registered on the same account, as well as every future plugin both of you will bought, because each plugin is linked to an account (and the hardware registered in this account).

So basically you'll be stuck with him "for life" and each time you'll buy a new plugin, it will be shared with him (and vice versa). But if he want to change the access to the account, he can, and you will not be able to update anymore or add any new plugin (unless you have access to his associated email too).

Depending on the price, it can be a great deal if you really sure of the guy, but I wouldn't recommand that, cause the UAD environement is something that you'll surely want to make it evolve, adding some plugin or maybe some hardware to it (and I'm not sure about the limitation of hardware associated to the plugin you own, but I don't think it's unlimited).

So maybe it's better to pay a little more and have your own account, or pay a little less and buy the hardware without plugin (not sure if that's possible though), especially if you don't know the guy that much

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Since the seller is not your friend, you should not do it. The whole deal rests on them maintaining their friendship. If it gets ruined, there is a high probability of you ending up on the bad side of the deal. I never liked monkey business like this one. Moreover, you have your doubts. Always listen to your gut feeling.

5. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Both @11Fletcher and @The Pirate are right. It can be really good deal but all depends on trust. I've sold one of my UAD-2 cards to a friend of a friend 2 years ago. Sold it with about 50 plugins I had registered on my account then. Told him honestly what he can and can't do and we made a deal.
    That card is still on my account and I'm available to him whenever he needs access to authorization, help or whatever. Don't want to leave someone hanging if he bought something from me. A word is a word :guru:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. 1337fcknwo

1337fcknwo Noisemaker

Hey there, actually it's pretty simple and supported by UA:
    https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206238366

So no need about trust issues - as long as the seller and you will meet in the same place and do it together, so nothing can happen. :) cheers and enjoy your UAD hardware and plugs!

None of you is right :D I don't know if this was possible at the time you were selling your stuff or you just didn't know but... I've known this "2nd hand" methode by UA for a long time.
    *EDIT: oh, sry. You wrote 2 years ago... yep 100% possible 2 years ago. *EDIT.

Cheers everybody.

7. playtime

playtime Rock Star

It's cool :winker:

But FYI "that method" still works. Please ask around and educate before hitting X Disagree on every post above.

For example: I own 2 UAD-2 PCIe cards, both registered on my account and UA system and working in my PC. I have bought xx of UAD plugins. I sell you one of my cards, with latest working authorization for all my plugins loaded onto that card.
    You install this UAD card into your PC with exact UAD software version I was using before selling. I give you my downloaded authorization file and you load it as offline authorization.
    Voila! All plugins that I own are authorized and working on your PC too. Of course, you must not update to newer UAD software. You just leave as it is. Working.

8. 1337fcknwo

1337fcknwo Noisemaker

Sorry Einstein, but can you see anyone and especially ZAPA talking about "that method" in this thread? Neither can I. So you better start educating yourself before hitting other people with wrong information + don't mix apples and oranges and stop beeing a big weenie. I hit that X because it's just misleading information and not what ZAPA was asking for. ;)

9. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Now you're being rude, dude. I am heavy UAD hardware & software user for over 10 years and I know the system inside out. And "that method" is EXACTLY what @Zapa was asking about. It's not transferring ownership, it's about selling hardware with owned plugins and a workaround method people are using all the time.

My fault going into argument with wrong people :trashing:

10. 1337fcknwo

1337fcknwo Noisemaker

I‘m really sorry but what you describe is like SELLING (it contains paying money for it so I own it) a car to a stranger, but leaving my number plates on, registered to my person with all the rights and obligations that comes along with it. It‘s just stupid and nonsense. Sorry.

And I don’t know one single person who would’ve done or did it that “funny” way, if there is an officially supported way by the vendor. So even if people out there doing it like that, maybe just because they don’t know it better, doesn’t make it the correct and prober and desired way. Agree?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig. Think about it before you try to defense something that doesn’t make any sense.

I’m out. PS: @Zapa - link is above. ✌️

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  11. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

@Zapa

Call UAD 1 877 698 2834 and press # so they will call you back, you don't have to be on hold for an hour or whatevs. This way you can get the answer you seek from the support staff without any doubt! :wink: