Buying UAD plugins and hardware...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sonar Sounds, Mar 4, 2015.

1. haha

haha Ultrasonic

I don't use Acustica plugins for composing or recording. They simply introduce too much latency. So they are adequate for mixing and mastering only, but they really shine there.

The only compressor that comes close is Presswerk. It is a real workhorse and you can do pretty much anything with it. You can even beef it up (I do that with great results) by placing Nebula after it with transformer, tube or preamp programs (or a combination of them, before and after Presswerk, you really have a lot of choices), and take it to the next level.

I don't have a separate computer for that, because I don't need that. I have a pretty powerful computer, and that would be the best investment I'd recommend to anyone.

2. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

haha Thank you for your answer.
    Aside of that, what would you recommend as a compressor able to be used while playing? I mean one with almost no latency (I have a pretty powerful computer too).

3. haha

haha Ultrasonic

Presswerk in normal mode (without the oversampling, aka HQ, activated, is very usable, especially with small RMS window values. But it is still usable, the latency is pretty small, with HQ and bigger window values also.

The only one that could complement it is the Klanghelm DC8C2, which is also very usable. IK's newer compressors do sound good, but I always come back to Presswerk, it can do all that and a lot more, and the sound is better to my ears. I don't like or use Waves, although I had the CLA Compressors, which sounded nice at that time (2009, I think), but nothing is tempting me to jump on that ship again.

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you Haha for all your advices.
    I'll study Klanghelm's DC8 as unfortunately I don't have a way to try seriously Presswerk to see if it fits my needs.